Thread: Opinions on a Wallas stove

How much do they cost and are they easy to install
    Alaskan Bowhunters Association
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

Default Alcohol Stove

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I am looking for those that have the wallas stove in their boats and what they think about it. I have the option of installing this, or to do a three burner propane stove for about the same cost. The boat will have a Webasto 3500 furnace in it, so I will not need the wallas for heat.

The way I see it, the advantages of the Wallas is that it is safer, since there is no propane, and there is one less fuel source to keep filled, since it uses deisel instead of propane and it is safer than propane.

The disadvantages are that it is a slower heat source, and does not cool down right away. Can those that own one of these comment? How is it to cook on this unit? Is the difference similar to a gas vs. electric range in a house, or is there more of a difference? I had also heard that the wallas could be used to dry gloves, etc. Can someone explain this to me. Is there any diesel smell in the cabin with the wallas unit?

Thanks,

Jim
    Have you looked at Origo 2 Burner Alcohol Stove (Origo 4100CB) http://www.swego.com/mall/stove_4100.asp

I been using this for past three seasons and I have no complaint for it. One fill should last about five weekend trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Have you looked at Origo 2 Burner Alcohol Stove (Origo 4100CB) http://www.swego.com/mall/stove_4100.asp

I been using this for past three seasons and I have no complaint for it. One fill should last about five weekend trips.
    That's what I replaced the Wallas with. It's very simple, inexpensive, and nothing to really break. But I didn't like the odor of the burning alcohol and it put lots of moisture in the cabin. But if you don't want to spend lots (like you will on a Wallas), then it's a decent alternative.

And if anyone here needs one, I have one for a lot less than 362 dollars.

Anyone know how much the stovetop with blower is with shipping?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

It's been a while since I bought mine, but something like $1,200-$1,500 comes to mind. You'll need to call to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    It's been a while since I bought mine, but something like $1,200-$1,500 comes to mind. You'll need to call to find out.
    Depending on the model, they're double that now. I friend said that Scan had them for about 2000 a year or so ago. It is likely that they have gone up since then. I paid 1800 a few years back and Alaska Mining and they were a few bucks cheaper than Scan - and you walked out the door with the stove and the parts that you need to put it in. It is hard to beat that

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Depending on the model, they're double that now. I friend said that Scan had them for about 2000 a year or so ago. It is likely that they have gone up since then. I paid 1800 a few years back and Alaska Mining and they were a few bucks cheaper than Scan - and you walked out the door with the stove and the parts that you need to put it in. It is hard to beat that
    Uh, maybe the price I said was the price that I told my wife it was
    Gotta keep my stories straight.

I just dug up my receipt from my purchase on 4/08/08. I bought the 800 model stove (1 burner) with the 220 blower lid with a few extras (pot holders, 2 fuel tanks) with 4 feet each of exhaust hose and exhaust hose insulation. With the freight (USPS 2 day to Alaska = $48.00) the total was $1691.00. That includes everything you need to install it and run it except fuel.

I talked to Bruce at ScanMarine, and needed to get it here in a hurry. Bruce said no problem, and he boxed it up and drove it to the post office that day. I actually had it in my hands 2 days later. That dosn't happen too often when shipping to Alaska!

Here is the link to the stove I bought. I think most people buy the dual burner with the glass cook top. I was limited on space, and went with the 800 model. At first I didn't think I would like it as much, but I prefer it now, as it seems more robust that the glass cook top.

Here is the link:
    http://www.scanmarineusa.com/Wallas_stove_800.pdf

Hope this helps,

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I've had mine since '93 and think it's a must have for a boat like my C-Dory 22' Cruiser. However, it will fail at exactly the worst possible time. Aside from using fresh fuel the best thing an owner should do is to carry a spare wick(fuel vaporizer) and igniter(glow coil) and be prepared to replace them ON THE BOAT.

Default Wallas stove repair

Quote Originally Posted by smtdvm View Post
    It was surprizingly easy once I figured out how. I first pulled the whole stove out of the counter top, flipped it over and removed the two lock nuts at the heat cover for the fire chamber. Then removed the clamp and three wires on the glow plug and pulled it out with slight manipulations to clear the circuit board. I found the plug was bad, reinstalled the stove with old plug in place. When I got the new plug, I was able to pull it without pulling the stove. I needed again to remove the two lock nuts to get the heat plate out of the way and then was able to replce the plug. Took ten minutes. You will see the items I am talking about when you look at the area around the glow plug. There is a photographic Wallas manual on www. c-brats.com that can be helpful too. The factory says that the glow plug is about the only user servicable item due to techincal complications and close tolerances of everything else.
    Not having bought one yet I am at a disadvantage....

What I am wondering is could the burners be re-jetted for gasoline (or replaced) and the glow plug replaced with an igniter? The idea of having a sealed burn chamber and a ceramic cooktop (looking at a 85dp with blower top) for a RV used in the arctic (where diesel jells eventually) has its advantages

I realise that gasoline burns hotter, has vapor-explosion issues and I will void any warranty - but IF engineered properly with an electric fuel line valve and tied into the control circuitry to isolate it completely when driving or not in use I think it should be a do-able conversion.

If anyone knows where I could get a piece of old/broken ceramic cooktop for a test, I am planning to try using it above an optimus hiker I have to see if the idea has real potential or not...

I have always run kerosene in mine and have not had any problems whatsoever. I have mostly bought my kerosene from True Value in Homer except once I bought a 5 gal container from Petro Marine. This probably sounds stupid, but I see a lot of you recommend Kleen Heat fuel. Is here a difference in kerosene, brand to brand?

Quote Originally Posted by skysix View Post
    Not having bought one yet I am at a disadvantage....

What I am wondering is could the burners be re-jetted for gasoline (or replaced) and the glow plug replaced with an igniter? The idea of having a sealed burn chamber and a ceramic cooktop (looking at a 85dp with blower top) for a RV used in the arctic (where diesel jells eventually) has its advantages

I realise that gasoline burns hotter, has vapor-explosion issues and I will void any warranty - but IF engineered properly with an electric fuel line valve and tied into the control circuitry to isolate it completely when driving or not in use I think it should be a do-able conversion.

If anyone knows where I could get a piece of old/broken ceramic cooktop for a test, I am planning to try using it above an optimus hiker I have to see if the idea has real potential or not...
    What you suggest is a recipe for disaster, besides, diesel actually produces way more energy than equal proportions of gasoline. As for gelling, no. 1 diesel doesn’t gel tell like -80 below.

Scan Marine in Seattle who service Wallas stoves recommends no.2 diesel, the only time I use no.1 diesel is during winter storage because I periodically fire it up. No.2 ULS diesel produces more BTUs then no.1 diesel, kerosene, or klean heat.

These are precession manufactured stoves that should perform flawlessly for 1000s of hours. There are two types of Wallas owners, the ones who love them and the ones who hate them. If something does go wrong, Scan Marine is very helpful over the phone. If mine broke tomorrow and I had to spend $500 dollars to have is repaired I wouldn’t blink.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

One more vote for the wallas. We have one with a blower top to heat the cabin, works great for that and for cooking. Biggest advantage over propane i think is no exhaust/moisture in the cabin. in fact, ours will actually dry out the cabin and wet gear fairly well.

I've used it for 6 years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the fuel pump once last summer. They reccomend that you send it to Scan Marine in seattle every two years to get cleaned, but if you can clean a rifle you can clean a wallas, and it is real easy to do. I have only cleaned mine once, last summer since i had it out of the boat and apart, and it was clean as a whistle inside so didn't really need it (and we run it all the time).

just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I see a lot of you recommend Kleen Heat fuel. Is there a difference in kerosene, brand to brand?
    Does anyone know anything about this?

I've had the Wallas on the last two boats now and can't really say that use it very much. I have a toyo for the window defrosters and regular cabin heat, so the wallace doesn't get much use. Really the only time I use it is in the morning cause it heats up the cabin so fast. I'm hoping to get more use out of it this year and maybe even cook on it.
    Boatless

I just noticed that this thread got resurected, so I thought I would say that I chose to go with a propane 3 burner stove since the boat has a Webasto furnace for heat. So far I am happy with my choice, and still on the first tank of propane.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thumbs up Happy with Wallas

I've been using the cooktop with blower lid for 3 years and it heats the cabin and cooks fine but didn't heat the cuddy. So I bought the Wallas 30D furnace. It too works great and uses almost no battery juice. With the fans moving the air around it's nice and dry. I'm satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I just noticed that this thread got resurected, so I thought I would say that I chose to go with a propane 3 burner stove since the boat has a Webasto furnace for heat. So far I am happy with my choice, and still on the first tank of propane.
    hi Jim, did you choose the airtop 3500 for your boat?..also, what was the make of your propane stove?..maybe i will keep my propane after all?

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi Jim, did you choose the airtop 3500 for your boat?..also, what was the make of your propane stove?..maybe i will keep my propane after all?
    Hi Larry,

Yes, the furnace is a 3500, and I have even used it a bit this winter on the trailer without any problems. The propane stove is a Techimpex Seafarer 3, which was a recommendation by the builder, I did not do any research on what my options were, but it works great.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast