Thread: Kodiak Winter Kill

Default Kodiak Winter Kill

Any information on how the blacktails fared on Kodiak this last winter?

Default No yearlings

I spent two weeks there and saw enough deer to keep me interested in hunting there this fall. Only saw one yearling, though. I think the kids had a tough winter. There were quite a few winterkills in the zone adjacent to the beaches. Most of the skulls were gone, as were other indicators of age, but I assume they were the missing yearlings.

i didn't see much for young deer this spring either, snow is still lasting down there so spring die off mighta drug itself out a bit, but i did see a couple dozen deer, road systme i saw dead deer flying over, farther south is better, fish and game said it was real similar to last year.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have seen signs of dead deer but I have also seen a few yearlings this spring. Last year I did not see any. I think the deer took a hit but I don't think it was quite as bad as last year. JMHO

I was on the southwest end of the island the first two weeks in May and we saw quite a few deer.

Saw a few areas of deer hair so there must have been some winter kill, but the deer we saw looked to be in pretty good condition with some yearling deer also.

Didn't look to bad in that area anyway, at least from what I could tell.

Kodiak and the Ak Pen/Aleutians had a 2007/08 winter that was colder and longer than the 2006/07 winter. I would expect the winter kill to be as bad or worse than 2006/07. We saw plenty of mature deer last November, but very few young animals. This year should be similar with maybe a few less deer overall. 2009 and the following couple of years might be pretty grim.

Hopefully it's decent this September.

Default Larson Bay Deer

I Was in Larson Bay the first two weeks of May and there was a quite a few winter killed deer along the shore just inside the brush line. We saw a few deer every day thou. If you call the Kodiak office of F&G they can tell you the real projection and they are real helpful there.

Default Ugak & Kiliuda Bays

Have been fishing in those two bays the last few days and have saw huge numbers. Lost track at 100.

Huge numbers of deer or carcasses?

Default alive

Alive and kicking...

I personally don't think this past year was as hard on the deer as the previous year. There was a group that I watched all winter and they made it through. I have also seen a number of yearling deer which I did not see last year at this time.
    We did get more snow this year and in many places it is staying longer but the small streams did not freeze solid this year and green grass sprouted earlier this year than last. According to the ADF&G vet, the late spring caused more deaths last year than the hard winter. Spring was by no means early this year but it was much earlier than last year. I am being optimistic that we will have a better year than last year.
    Just my $0.02.