Thread: Places for King fishing after 1. August

Default Places for King fishing after 1. August

Does someone know where you after 1 August can fish legally King?
    (not in salt water)

I just know Eklutna Tailrace... but it isn't really the hot spot... do you know other good places to go?

The king run in the Kenai is still going strong at the beginning of August, but you would have to release them.

Default also

if you can get there try Cordova...in the rivers over there

Thanks for your answers, but cordova is a little to far away for my trip and Kenai... I know it's possible... but i'm an foreign person(swiss guy) and i dont want to provocate the local rules. I prefer a fair and legel way to catch a King

Here is the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game's salmon run chart.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tim/runtim.cfm
    Personally I don't know of anywhere you can reliably find kings in fresh water with an open season. Its a little late for kings. There will be plenty of oppurtunities for others species, tail end of the reds, silvers and pinks. There are other more qualified experts around but you might be out of luck for kings.

You might find "feeder" kings in the saltwater either in Seward or Homer.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
    The king run in the Kenai is still going strong at the beginning of August, but you would have to release them.
    Uhhhmmmmm NO!!!

You CAN NOT target kings on the Kenai R. after July 31st. Sure some are caught by folks fishing for other species and they must be released, but if you go there specifically targetting kings, you're going to get a ticket. Or at least I hope you will.

And people wonder why there's soooooooo many "silly" regs in the reg book?????????

Default long way from home

You're flying a heck of a long way to catch kings. Do so during open season for them- plan your trip for late July instead, and fish them legally. Otherwise, enjoy the great trout and silver salmon fishing!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by schlegudeck View Post
    I prefer a fair and legel way to catch a King
    Maybe I am lost on this one. Speaking for myself, I would never recommend fishing illegally. I also think that is true for anyone that subscribes to this forum. I have no idea what you were stating with that comment, but I don't think anyone here is advocating that you go and fish illegally for a salmon....

Default NO, I don't 'wonder' at all....

Quote Originally Posted by akfishinguy View Post
    And people wonder why there's soooooooo many "silly" regs in the reg book?????????
    MONEY GENERATOR....

Fishing for silvers on the Kenai is a blast. They get up to 20lbs and frequently are in the mid teens. You have a chance of catching several fish in a day too. The crowds are smaller than during the king run too. If you are open to fishing for silvers instead then I would reccommend that.