Thread: T/C Arms Sale - Pistol or Rifle?

Question T/C Arms Sale - Pistol or Rifle?

Hello, I have a question about the Thompson “Pro Hunter”, G2, or even the contender for that matter! I have been hearing different opinions that it has to be purchased as a handgun? Even if the receiver was purchased with a rifle stock connected to it and also comes with the rifle fore grip. I know this is most likely a lawyer question…AGAIN!!! However, does anybody know if you can purchase a TC Arms, contender, G2, or Pro Hunter with the rifle stock and the rifle fore grip in Alaska - Or does it have to be purchased as a handgun because you can “quickly change it into a handgun"?
    Man, its stuff like this that is taking the fun out of guns…Remember when you could buy a rifle from sears and have it sent right to your house!?!?!? The last thing I heard on the T/C is that if it has the rifle stock it’s sold as a rifle or if it has the pistol grip it’s sold as a pistol. What's the rule for the grand state if Alaska?
    Thank you for your time…Sure hope you can help out.
    Very Respectfully, Kurt
    “bird-dog”

I would not be surprised if it's the Federal rules that apply. I don't remember any difference between fed and state on firearms. I would call T/C and ask them if they have a site that you can do a down load for that information? I don't see the problem with making a short gun into a long gun, but I'm sure the fed has a problem with any thing that has any logic to it.

I don't know how many XP-100's I've seen converted to rifles for bench rest shooting? I would think that going from rifle to pistol would be a problem. Then I remember all of the AR-15 I've seen built on a pistol plan and get confused.

Isn't that the purpose of law makers, to confuse the public?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Federal law applies in all states. To get the straight scoop, either call your local BATFE office or go to their web page and contact their technical division. In either case, write down the name of the person you spoke to or save the e-mail response. If it becomes an issue later (like you're stopped by local cops and they think it's a violation), your local BATFE agent will be the one handling the firearms violation and if you have a name of someone you spoke with you can clear it up fairly easily.

This has been kicked around ad-nauseum with no conclusion. I wrote to TC and their response was still inconclusive. Evidently converting a frame sold with a rifle stock to a pistol is illegal, but the same frame sold with a pistol stock to a rifle is legal. I'm not a lawer. I eventually bought a frame with a pistol grip, discarded the grip and fitted rifle stock, foreend and barrel. I figured that way I was sort of lawer proofing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLeadBullets View Post
    This has been kicked around ad-nauseum with no conclusion. I wrote to TC and their response was still inconclusive. Evidently converting a frame sold with a rifle stock to a pistol is illegal, but the same frame sold with a pistol stock to a rifle is legal. I'm not a lawer. I eventually bought a frame with a pistol grip, discarded the grip and fitted rifle stock, foreend and barrel. I figured that way I was sort of lawer proofing myself.
    Actually it HAS been kicked around o conclusion (at least in the BATF's eyes, & that's all that matters).
    Each TC is listed by TC as either a pistol or a rifle by serial # when it leaves the factory. Rifle frames may NEVER be outfitted as a pistol without gatting a special permit from BATF. Pistol frames can be used either way. The regulation you are breaking when youuse a rifle frame as a pistol is the reg restricting someone from making a "short" (concealable)rifle.
    Is the law practicle in the case of TC frames? No. Does it make sense for hese frames? No. Do they run arouind checking #s to enforce it? Not that I've ever heard (and I'm part of several forums that specialize in these guns). Could you be prosecuted under federal law with a crime (felony) if you use a rifle frame for a handgun? YES!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Unhappy T/C Arms Sale - Pistol or Rifle? (lawyer needed to buy a single shot)

TO ALL WHO REPLIED TO MY ORIGINAL POST I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND INPUT!!

I have been seriously thinking of buying a Prohunter lately (as I listed in the Swap and Sell Forum). How I came to writing and posting this question is I was in a large chain store and they sold all the T/C’s as pistol frames with or without a rifle stock (except black powder). What they showed me via email only was SIMILAR info that leads one to believe that it ONLY HAD TO BE SOLD AS A PISTOL with or with out a rifle stock and then they will have a legal sale and will be able to make a pistol out of a rifle stock receiver! I hate to think of the people buying rifle stock receivers from this large chain store then placing pistol stocks/grips on them and if all the information provided by the large chain store is not correct…now they are felons and don’t even know it! It is too bad that we have got to the point where we should talk to a lawyer to purchase a designed single shot convertible pistol/rifle to avoid a felony charge?

As I wrote this I had a simple idea - For a person to avoid committing a felony and not even know it without any warning stickers or letters…Stamp rifle or pistol on the receiver in the same manner, format, and location as the serial number to avoid any misunderstanding that could lead to a felony charge! Just a thought…

In closing, I check this site every day or so and I can’t help but to think what a mess we have came to when a person has to be so very careful when buying a SINGLE SHOT weapon receiver that was designed and advertised to be outfitted as a single shot rifle or pistol. I do not blame T/C in any way I just feel it’s wrong to think a person can become a felon so easily and not even know it!

bird-dog