Thread: TWO questions on fishing Alaska

Default TWO questions on fishing Alaska

Hi. My wife and I are recent arrivals to the Palmer-Wasilla area from Texas and are pumped about the awesome opportunities here. I have two questions...
    First, where is the best place to try for Kings from either the bank or a canoe (OT Guide 147, side mount but no motor yet... suggestions on that issue welcome as well). I would prefer somewhere I can target another species in the event the Kings aren't around.
    Second, - and if this materializes, I'll post on the open seat thread as well - I've got access to all types of vessels through military recreation. Would someone be willing to take an open seat halibut fishing with us? The conditions would be fuel cost help appreciated, but focused on someone with experience, hot spot knowledge, and teaching skill/patience to show us the ropes on the first time out. I've got pretty good boating experience, and what tackle we don't have we can rent cheap from the military. A suggested list of gear would be appreciated a couple of working days before the trip.

The float/paddle trip is planned for Friday, and the halibut trip might happen this weekend, but definitely weekends in the near future. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions; I have greatly enjoyed soaking up all the information on this forum.
    Brian

When you ask for a king fishing spot, you're thinking this coming weekend? If so, your best bets will likely be a five hour drive south on either the Anchor, Ninilchik, or Kasilof Rivers from shore. Another thread mentions that the first king has been caught at the Little Su, which is far closer to home, but fishing will likely be slow. In a few weeks you'll have a good chance at Montana Creek and Willow Creek right up the road.

Default There are also

reports of (a) fish or two being caught on Ship Creek right downtown. I was there last night and it was s l o w.
    Willow creek, once kings are there, is also great for 'bows and grayling. I am off work right now and would love to go float it on Friday if you'd like to go as well. Let me know. I would gladly partake on a h-but trip to help you out! I am already set to go h-but fishing twice here in coming weeks, but my wife isn't, and I'd love another oppy to get her out there fishing. Also rent shrimp gear as well...as there is some fantastic spotted shrimp out in PWS

DSC_2190.jpg

Willow, Little Willow, Sheep, and Montana Creek will be extremely slow for Kings at the moment. Bows should be very good. Take a King rod just in case you see signs of "A" King. All the Parks Hwy steams will be heating up the closer you get to the end of June. There will be a lot of people unless you want to go for a short walk up stream. Less people and you will catch more fish. I will most likely be on Willow Creek on Saturday fishing for bows, might run up to Montana depending on what I find on at Willow.

Default renting shrimp gear

Do you know any places that rent shrimp gear? I'm heading out of Whittier on Sunday with another military friend of mine and we'd like to drop some pots. Thanks...

Default I think

Military Rec has pots and gear for rent....
    Or, this is a wild guess, try B&J commercial
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-24-2008 at 11:19. Reason: language

Default FISHNOTWORK- is a little slow

As of the moment things are a little slow in the Valley. You might try EKluntna tailrace off of the old palmer highway. Bring a lawnchair/radio and eggs from a bobber. Or try the Berma landing off the little sue. Once at the landing, walk to your right about a hundred yards and try the little beaches and sand bars there. I have good luck there when I don't have a boat available to fish from. Have fun. If you need more info PM me and I'll expand on some more hotspots... Good luck

thanks for the recommendations everyone! mtf on open seat thread!