Thread: Anybody every heard or used Mystery Ranch Packs?

Default Anybody every heard or used Mystery Ranch Packs?

I am still doing some research on good internal frame pack before I get the privilege of moving to AK and came across Mystery Ranch. They look pretty sturdy but since Uncle Sam has decided to station me in South Korea for this year I can't necessarily go find someplace that carries them and put my hands on them. Maybe some of you have, so what do you think(other than the fact that you have to refinance your house to afford one...which is a well noted fact)?
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I believe member Sheep Man just recently went down to Bozeman and had a pack fitted for himself and really likes it. Maybe he'll chime in or send him a PM.

Thanks! I'll give him a PM and see what he thinks.

They make good packs. They are Dana Design packs. After Dana sold Dana Design to K2, he wanted to get back to making packs and started Mystery Ranch. My one suggestion would be to try one on first (I know not possible there) but IMO fit is more important than the name on the pack.

Jason B

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    I am still doing some research on good internal frame pack before I get the privilege of moving to AK and came across Mystery Ranch. They look pretty sturdy but since Uncle Sam has decided to station me in South Korea for this year I can't necessarily go find someplace that carries them and put my hands on them. Maybe some of you have, so what do you think(other than the fact that you have to refinance your house to afford one...which is a well noted fact)?
    Yep, I've heard of them, I have one. They are made right here in Bozeman. They are a great pack and very adjustable, so I dont think fit will be an issue. They are spendy but I believe guaranteed for life. They are made of the best zippers, buckles etc.

If you're a grunt, maybe you'll get one from Uncle Sam because they make a lot of packs for the military.

Take care and happy backpacking,

Mark

I found these packs a number of years ago but could not overcome the price. I have checked them out and handled them. They are basically like the original Dana Design with some better materials and ideas. They are a tough, no nonsense, well designed pack. They are heavy duty and heavy weight pack that is worth the money if you are using your pack to make a living or put your comfort over cost and do not care about weight. The only big omission on some of the packs I looked at at Barney's earlier this year was the absence of ice axe loops.

I am now looking at one of their new modular pack designs, we will see...

Default I have a Dana

from right before he sold the company...one of the last packs that was made 'by hand'. It by far has been my 'go to' pack when I know I will be out for 7-10 days as it really carries the load beautifully. Can't say enough about how good this pack was constructed. I am also a gear whore, but also take care of what I do have. Not a single stitch has come undone on that pack...no fraying, etc.. I will typically wax zippers once a year, when storing, and the zipper on this pack (only has one) hasn't even needed waxing....

Default Got one

I just received my NICE 6500 W/ NICE frame. I haven't had a chance to run it through the ringer yet but in a few short test runs with approximately 80lbs and it's the most comfortable pack I've worn. As I load it down and take longer test runs I'll post an update. It truly is built better then any pack I've seen! It also rides much better then any external frame pack I've had on and thats been many. Top of the line all the way. Thats where the weight comes from that being the only down side. Good luck!

Biased response:

I worked for Dana for six years, quit in '96, and continue to work with his company on and off. I have absolutely tortured a Dana Design day pack since '90. The meat it has hauled off the prairie could fill a truck (small truck). It's all blood stained, looks too old-school but will not break down in my life time unless I have to burn it some day.

I can't compare a Dana or Mystery Ranch to a Barney's or any other as I've never used a different brand.

Mystery Ranch packs are better built than Dana packs. How? Better materials in all the right places and Dana designs around the very few old failure points in the Dana packs.

The frame works similarly but isn't the same as an old Dana Flex series pack. The waist belts are better than the old ones. I personnaly like the old shoulder pads better but people who use packs far more than me like the new ones.

I'm too cheap and don't hunt much outside Montana so I couldn't stomach the Mystery Ranch prices for my personal use. They are way expensive. However, several hard core (very hard core) hunters I know and work with love them and tell me that they're worth every penny.

A few facts: Lots of pack companies take pictures of soldiers with their packs and claim that their packs are in use in Iraq and Afgahnistahn. Doesn't mean much as lots of soldiers buy stuff with thier own money. Its different with Mystery Ranch: their packs are ordered in VOLUME from US and foreign special operations units, Mystery Ranch is asked to custom design and manufacture packs for very unique rescue and force application missions, vendors of other weapons systems have Mystery Ranch make packs to carry their stuff.

I believe that ArcTeryx packs are also ordered in volume from US and foreign special operations units.

Read Eastman's Hunting review on the Mystery Ranch pack if you can.

As stated in the beginning: this was a biased response and I can't compare a Mystery Ranch to any other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mt al View Post
    Biased response:

I worked for Dana for six years, quit in '96, and continue to work with his company on and off. I have absolutely tortured a Dana Design day pack since '90. The meat it has hauled off the prairie could fill a truck (small truck). It's all blood stained, looks too old-school but will not break down in my life time unless I have to burn it some day.

I can't compare a Dana or Mystery Ranch to a Barney's or any other as I've never used a different brand.

Mystery Ranch packs are better built than Dana packs. How? Better materials in all the right places and Dana designs around the very few old failure points in the Dana packs.

The frame works similarly but isn't the same as an old Dana Flex series pack. The waist belts are better than the old ones. I personnaly like the old shoulder pads better but people who use packs far more than me like the new ones.

I'm too cheap and don't hunt much outside Montana so I couldn't stomach the Mystery Ranch prices for my personal use. They are way expensive. However, several hard core (very hard core) hunters I know and work with love them and tell me that they're worth every penny.

A few facts: Lots of pack companies take pictures of soldiers with their packs and claim that their packs are in use in Iraq and Afgahnistahn. Doesn't mean much as lots of soldiers buy stuff with thier own money. Its different with Mystery Ranch: their packs are ordered in VOLUME from US and foreign special operations units, Mystery Ranch is asked to custom design and manufacture packs for very unique rescue and force application missions, vendors of other weapons systems have Mystery Ranch make packs to carry their stuff.

I believe that ArcTeryx packs are also ordered in volume from US and foreign special operations units.

Read Eastman's Hunting review on the Mystery Ranch pack if you can.

As stated in the beginning: this was a biased response and I can't compare a Mystery Ranch to any other brand.
    PM sent...