Thread: Instinctive shooting guide gun

Default Instinctive shooting guide gun

First time poster here love this site. I'm a new Guide gun owner, and was wondering how many of you guys shoot instinctivly out to say 50 yards, this thing just points so well that I can hit a gallon milk jug almost every time out to 50 yards just like shooting my old red ryder bb gun. would never shoot much longer than this but it just seems to me that hitting a moose or such would be peice of cake with this gun, I just love shooting this thing, great fun I think this is going to be my new goto brush gun from now on for elk and blacktails.

Thanks guys Oldlogger

Thumbs up

I hear ya!!! I love how fast, dependable, accurate, and did I mention fast it is!!!! I've even practiced a little from my hip-pumping a magazine at a target up to 20 yards and was surprised I usually hit it. Point and shoot, but then I do love to practice with it.

I bought it for my wife...but it's MY go to brush gun. 400+ grains factory will put a hurting on anything brown and furry if I hit it- Just one more plus. I do however leave it with her while she's in camp and I'm out hunting. I also love that mine is stainless steel. Takes a beating and keeps shooting straight.

Default Heya.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlogger View Post
    First time poster here love this site. I'm a new Guide gun owner, and was wondering how many of you guys shoot instinctivly out to say 50 yards, this thing just points so well that I can hit a gallon milk jug almost every time out to 50 yards just like shooting my old red ryder bb gun. would never shoot much longer than this but it just seems to me that hitting a moose or such would be peice of cake with this gun, I just love shooting this thing, great fun I think this is going to be my new goto brush gun from now on for elk and blacktails.

Thanks guys Oldlogger
    Welcome, oldlogger. There are a few around here that habitually throw rocks through windows because they like to hear glass breaking, but the vast majority of folks are congenial and prefer to share and to learn.

If you want to have some real fun with your instinctive shooting while keeping yourself honest, tape over the sights. The best pistol shot I've known used a Colt Woodsman that the sights had fallen off decades earlier. Consider that it was the only pistol he had ever owned and that he had owned it close to 50 years, and instinct takes on new meaning.

Default BB,

I couldn't agree more!!! I knew an old man many, many years ago who owned a '03A3. Same thing.....the front sight had been missing for many years. Saw him kill a running coyote at a considerable distance with it once. darndest thing you ever saw. Gives new meaning to the old saying; "be aware of the man who owns only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it".
    Sarge
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

The guide gun handles great and is easy to shoulder and once there your looking right down the barrel like a well fitted shot gun. It lends its self to "wing shooting" but for medium to big game thats moving. There is a time and place for long 26" barreled mag rifle with a +50mm belled scope but this isn't it is where shorter, lighter and better handling guns come to play.
    In a time where ultra/mag/short mags are the rage most forget or never knew when the the better handling guns are just plain better choices to use. Mine is a 336D a 35rem guide gun and good to 200 yards top noch at less than 100 yards and just plain no good at 350 yards. Its knows its place but does its job well.

After 100 years the guide gun is quickly regaining popularity in Alaska for good reason. 3000 fps and a scope doesnt always cut it here. Congrats on your purchase. I will be getting one myself along with some corbon or buffalo bore ammo. Maybe the best Alaska brush gun ever made!