Thread: jello/honey burn and after the fact?

Default jello/honey burn and after the fact?

Will be sitting my stand this Friday and only place my bait this past Mod. My question is, when and how are ya'll doing the burn? Are you sitting next to the barrel and burning it and then getting in the stand, burning it while in the stand or leaving it by the barrel burning and then getting in the stand? Burning it in the barrel. I reason I ask; is all I can picture is me starting a burn and the sitting in my stand and the woods end up in flames.
    One other thing, after you stick a bear and track it down if its only 50yds or so from your bait do you try and move it farther away from the bait be for skinning/processing. Or what? I might be able to get a four-wheeler to mine if and when I stick one, but not sure if that would be a good idea since cause of my bait, or should I just go ahead and pack it out? I have pretty much everything else covered from the info I have gotten from the sight but I haven't found any answers to the questions I just asked. Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb What I do at mine

I took an old cindar block out to my bait and set it next to my bait that's the platform that I set my Sterno can on to do my honey burns that way no flames and grass or anything dry come into contact. Don't have to worry about the bear packing the block off or tearing it up so it goes in the beginning of baiting and out during clean up, nice and easy!

I also try and get my bears either pulled out to the wheeler or the wheeler to the bear and I take the bear about 1/2 mile from the bait to a opening in the trees and I at least gut it there light permitting so I dont have the mess at my bait and have an opening around me so I dont have a bear breathing down my neck while I'm working. Also keeps the Brown bears farther away from the bait.

Just what I'm doing at my bait

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    Will be sitting my stand this Friday and only place my bait this past Mod. My question is, when and how are ya'll doing the burn? Are you sitting next to the barrel and burning it and then getting in the stand, burning it while in the stand or leaving it by the barrel burning and then getting in the stand? Burning it in the barrel. I reason I ask; is all I can picture is me starting a burn and the sitting in my stand and the woods end up in flames.
    One other thing, after you stick a bear and track it down if its only 50yds or so from your bait do you try and move it farther away from the bait be for skinning/processing. Or what? I might be able to get a four-wheeler to mine if and when I stick one, but not sure if that would be a good idea since cause of my bait, or should I just go ahead and pack it out? I have pretty much everything else covered from the info I have gotten from the sight but I haven't found any answers to the questions I just asked. Thanks in advance.
    I'm not crazy about about skinning bears out near the baits either. Not only are you busy working and one could sneak up on you....but we are just plain supersticious about leaving dead bears around where we want other bears to come I guess!

About the burns....I have no idea. We use products from Bear Scents, made by a guy named Brad Herning...they are on the net and some products are at SW. We have been dealing with these products for years now and they work...no gimmics and you don't have to deal with buring or anything. PM if you want more details and ideas. Good luck!

I use the cinder block.

Use 2 cans, one bigger, spagetti sause and a smaller vegtable can. I drill holes in the smaller near the rim to push a metal rod through and hang out each end. I drop a sterno can in the bottom of the spagetti can and then place the smaller can in the larger can and the rod should allow it to hang over the sterno can. This prevents the flame from getting out of the can. I then put the larger can in the cinder block to prevent the wind from blowing it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    I might be able to get a four-wheeler to mine if and when I stick one, but not sure if that would be a good idea
    I'd advise you not to ride the wheeler to your bait station. Once you make a set of tracks, others will follow. You can bet your last dime on that.

Default No Hits

I didn't do a burn yet, just let off a bear bomb and freshend up the bait, I didn't have any hits so, I had to high tail back to make dinner with my wifes Grandmother, or would have never heard the end of it. Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of making one of the concoctions I have read about on here. Thanks for the advice and I no longer see the woods catching on fire.

Glendale, Arizona, United States, 104002769637127, Glendale, Arizona

Not sure if it was the smartest thing, but i did the burn in the stand last year, never had any come up with me...yet. Instead of hunny, i used bear "crack", pancake syrup, sugar, cherry kool aid mix, and marshmellows. After we did the burn for 1/2 hour or so, i let my "ballsy" friend get down and pour it on the bait, the bears really liked this stuff, and it tatses pretty good too. As for skinning, the 1 i stuck last year dropped only about 20 yds from the bait, we brought him out and gutted/skinned else where. We were on the Yukon, so we went upriver a ways from our bait and skinned all our bears. Good Luck and try the "crack", work for us.

Default burns

I like doing burns early in the season, but I don't do honey. Its expensive and seems like jello/marshmellows do just as well. This year I needed a can, and didn't have a coffee can handy, so I bought a can of pineapple juice at Freddy's and poured jello and 'mallows in it. Nothing came in that night, but the next time I checked every scrap of anything edible, including my stand, had been chewed up.

Its just a theory of mine, but I feel like putting on a burn once bears are habituated to the site will keep them from coming in. The thought process is that they have me pretty well patterned, and will be able to associate burning with me being there, or even just the "something different" at their little dinner spot will be enough to make them more cautious.

Last year we butchered out both bears at my stand right where they dropped, within 50 yards of the bait, and still had more bears coming in. The gut piles were cleaned up, too.

I don't subscribe to the idea that doing a burn while getting into your stand is really all that important for a couple of reasons. Most likely you are waiting for a bear that has already come into the bait, already knows what is there and probably doesn't need to be reminded that its still there, a bait station is something they won't forget soon. Secondly if you are doing a burn as you are getting into the stand you are habituating any bears you might be attracting with the burn to come in downwind of you at the time you are in the stand. Your scent is going right along with any burn you are doing, and like a dog a bear can distinguish scents regardless of your cover scents or super fancy carbon scentlock clothing. Bottom line, IMHO a habituatied bear will come in on its own schedule as it pleases regardless of if you burn or not. Your results may vary.

Default honey burn

Been reading all replys and tried my first burn tonite, i have been baiting from mothers day until now. Every time i check the bait it has been hit hard but until last week have only seen 1 bear while sitting on the stand. It came in and attacked the barrel but when i stood to take a shot he spooked. Have great footage of him, picked up the camera instead of the bow. Tonite i tried the hunny burn and after a half hour a large sow came in and tried to start a forest fire by knocking the burn out of the tree. Long story short i saved a forest fire by takeing the arsonist out. I am now a firm believer in the honey burn. Tommorrow goning to try it again. Lots of bigger bears in the area.

Congrats Spawner!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Time has come crushing down on me (along with a wife who has been to the doc/hospital with some serious stuff 7 or 8 times in the last two weeks) & unfortunately I think I'm done for the year. I was wanting to try a burn next.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Burns have been half/half since tryin gthem

I have since tried doing a burn a from time to time. Haven't set the woods on fire ethier. The first time nothing came in but the bait got hit the next day.
    Went to another friend of mines stand with him and burned some fudge and corn oil and with in the hour had a sow come in from behind and then a boar come in from our left. I missed the boar with my bow but my buddy got it just out side of 50yds with his gun. Sq 6'6 "
    Done a few burns since, one last night to be exact along with a bear bomb "Sow in Heat" with the wind swirling the sent had gone everywhere and caught the nose of a big brown bear and when he put his nose down to the bear bomb he bolted.
    So will see its my wifes night to go out with her sister to see a Movie so I am watching my daughter, "can't wait till I can get her out there" will head out again tomorrow night. One of my stations has been getting slammed just can't get catch the bear thats doing it. Even with the two in one out.

Default Skin the Bear Elsewhere!!

I understand that Brown Bears will aggressively attack Black Bears, so skinning a bear right at your stand seems like a ticket to a Brown Bear attack. I use a sled to drag the dead bear to my truck, then drive to a nearby stream to dress it.

My burn rig is a tin pail with holes around the bottom, with a set-up inside to use sterno to cook a can of honey/molasses/etc. The pail rides on a rope set-up like a clothes line with one pulley at my stand, and the other above the barrel, all 15 ft above the ground. That way I can refresh the burn without getting out of the stand, and it is up high enough so no bear can reach it or tip it over. 2 weeks ago a bear came in, and stood to try to reach or smell the burn. He couldn't reach it of course, but gave me a super shot as he stood.