Thread: Nosler E-Tip

Default Nosler E-Tip

Just picked up a box of the latest and greatest from Nosler. A box of 180 gr 30 cal E-Tips. I'm going to work up a load with them in my 300 WSM while I work up a load for my 168 gr TTSX's.

They are a similarly constructed bullet, monometal with polycarbonate tip. No grooves in the E-Tips and they are supposed to foul a lot less than the all copper TTSX because they are made of the same alloy as the jackets of their other bullets.

The 180 gr E-Tip is a long bullet, about 0.1" longer than the TTSX. I wouldn't want to load one much longer. The ogive of the TTSX is narrower than the E-Tip.

180 gr E-Tip, BC = .523 and the 168 gr TTSX, BC = .450 (approx). After weighing 50 of each, the E-Tips were slightly more consistant with a range of 179.5 gr to 180 gr with most being right about .1-.3 less than 180 gr. The Barnes were 168 gr + or - .4gr

It should be interesting to do this comparrison. Hoping to get 3050 fps out of the E-Tips and about 3150 out of the TTSX's. Both Barnes and Nosler claim near 100% weight retention from these bullets.

Wonder if anyone else has tried the E-Tips yet?

Will keep you posted of my results.

Thumbs up Nosler E tip

I've done some load development for the E tip in the 300 RUM. Here is my experience.
    Remington AWR 300 RUM, Leupold 2.5-10 LPS, 26" barrel.
    Rem Brass
    F215M
    97.0 Retumbo
    3.65 OAL
    Crono Ohler 33
    Low 3345
    Hi 3377
    Avg 3360
    ES 32
    SD 13
    Normally with the RUMs I shoot 3 shot groups due to barrel heat, but in this case it was shooting so well I wanted to try a 5 shot group from a cold barrel after I had it sighted in.
    The results at 100 yds. for 5 shots were.
    First 3 measured .63, 4th shot .75 5th shot 1.08.

I also tested terminal performance in water compared to other bullets.
    This is the first monolithic type bullet I've tried at 300 RUM speed that did not always loose it's pedals. Some time it shed them all, sometimes it shed none (wt 178.2). Apparently 3360 is right on the edge for this bullet. For comparison sake, 180 FS and 180 barnes always shed their petals at this speed IME.
    The FS shed them earliest after impact. The E-tip shed them last and the barnes is in between. Not surprising that the FS penetrated most.
    Overall penetration most to least:
    180 FS
    180 Barnes
    180 E-tip
    200 NAB & 200 Npt (@ 3200), 180 NPG (@ 3330), 180 TBBC (@3300)
    these 4 essentially tied
    180 NAB (@ 3320) & 180 Npt (@ 3400) essentially tied
    180 Swift (@ 3320)
    180 HIB (@ 3370)
    Then conventional bullets, Speer, Sierra, Hornady @ 3400 all separate.
    Even going from the conventional bullets to the Hor IB doubles penetration in my tests.
    In the tests I found that at these high speeds the highest weight retention does not always mean more penetration. Larger frontal area on certain bullets of course limits penetration.
    Swift and TBBC consistently have the highest weight retention.

I've shot a few 180 E tip factory in the 300 WSM but have not thoroughly tested them yet in the WSM. I strongly suggest you drop back a couple grains for the Etip compared to most other bullets. I still got the speed.

Thus far I've fired about 130 Etips, very little fouling. No more than a conventional nosler.

Changing the seating depth from 3.62 to 3.65 cut group size in half. Something to keep in mind.

I've also tried just a few in my 300 RUM CDL. Slightly more speed. Have not tested for accuracy yet. I've primarily stuck with 200 grainers in it.

Overall, the Etip looks like a very promising bullet.

Thanks 375AIJGS, great info there, E-Tip *apears* to be a great bullet. The load info you provided wil be very valuable. I like the the idea of less fouling and no grooves and a higher BC. Hopefuly it all comes together in a good accurate performance package.

Will keep you posted, I have rifle, bullets, powder, primers, brass and now just need to get scoped.

I agree it *appears* to be a good bullet.
    After an experience over 20 years ago I test bullets in water before hunting with them.

Only after actual use hunting will anyone know for sure.

However all the premium bullets are so much better than anything we used 20-30 years ago. Excluding of course the NPT which has been available for longer than I've hunted.

IMHO If your shooting bullets over 2700 fps, pick the premium bullet that shoots best in your rifle and don't look back.
    Place your shots and you won't be disappointed.

Nice testing 375.

Thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Some good info there. Looks like the TTSX would be more likely to exit, whereas the E-Tip would likely give more shock. Also, the TTSX has minumum expansion velocity of about 2000 fps and the E-Tip about 1800 fps. For most game It looks like the E-Tip (IMO) would be the pick, but for large dangerous game the TSX/TTSX would get the nod.

Those phone books sure are some tough critters

Default Long

While the phone books demonstrate the ability of the E-TIP to hold together at impacting velocities above 3000 fps. That's about all the info that could be gleaned from this test.
    Most animals aren't shot at 10 ft and the reduction in velocity at 80-150 yds would change the expansion of the bullet as well as the medium which the bullet traveled through,ie fur (wet fur),skin,fat,bone. Not just one continous compressed medium.
    I am fairly impressed with the BT and it's ability to hold together at such impacting velocity though; It's not known for that. Considering it's not considered a premium bullet it did very well against it's expensive counterparts.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Some good info there. Looks like the TTSX would be more likely to exit, whereas the E-Tip would likely give more shock. Also, the TTSX has minumum expansion velocity of about 2000 fps and the E-Tip about 1800 fps. For most game It looks like the E-Tip (IMO) would be the pick, but for large dangerous game the TSX/TTSX would get the nod.

Those phone books sure are some tough critters

Not all of the TTSX need 2000 FPS to open in fact I believe that the 168 30 cal may be the only one. the 225 TTSX 338 bullet only needs 1600 FPS if memory serves. They are not all the same.

The TTSX proved to be the best pemetrator in both tests.