Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: messing with my bait

Default messing with my bait

Anyone else have problems with people messing with there bait stations? I have some guy coming to my bait station. I can't tell what he is doing to it but since he has been there I haven't seen any bear. I saw many before he showed up.

He is probably blowing his plug at your station ......Where you located ??? I would have to guess North Pole with the NP.....Catch him in the act and dipose of him properly in your barrel.....but I didnt say that....

That's what I was thinking of. He is either pretty balsy or really dumb since I have pics of him on my trail camera. The problem is he never faces the camera.

Default same problem

I had a guy mess with my stand last year. Then I caught him hunting on it, and he ran off when I got out of my truck.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Go to the bait site and hide out waiting for him to show, when he does watch him and see what he's up too. My guess is he's urinating on your bait site or using it himself and is scaring off bears when he leaves.

One of the pics I have of him he is holding what looks like that jelly smelling bait. How do you put pics on here?

You should report this to the troopers - whoever is on your bait site does not have a legal right to hunt it and can cause you lots of grief and a possible hunting violation. A freind of mine baits on the Kenai - about four years ago he set his bait and got the bears coming in. He was hoping that his 13 year old daughter would get her first bear with her bow (they are all archers) and she was really looking forward to sharing this hunting experience with her dad. When he took his daughter in to hunt there was some guy sitting on his stand, rifle over his lap smoking cigerretts that refused to leave. The slob had dumped fish over their bait - a bait that is not legal in that unit. If the station had been checked then my freind would have been in trouble. My freind ended up going back after the guy had left, cleaned up the illegal bait, then pulled the station. A bad experince for dad and daughter when it should have been a wonderful experince. Now we can report those that trespass on our bait stations. Is there a common parking area where you could get a lisence plate number? Can you put a fake camera in the place of your current camera and set a real camera hidden where you might see better what this guy is doing? If it were my station I would already be on the phone to the brown shirts! these are the lazy, unethical hunters that will cause us to lose bear baiting so we need to police our own ranks! Sorry about getting on the soap box - this really got under my skin. Good luck!

Default Baits in the area?

Are there any baits near yours that you know of? He maybe dragging a scent bag from your bait because you have bears and he doesn't and he's hoping the bears will go to his bait. A piece of plywood with sharpend nails buried just under the surface on the trail he's using may at least give you a blood trail to follow to see where he's going Then again he may be just looking to see why your bait is (was) doing so well. Either way report him to the Troopers we don't need a piece of @#$% like that anyhow they make us all look bad!

There is one stand near mine, about a mile away though.

IMG]http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=465[/IMG]

Sure sounds fishy.
    Do you smell gas or oil products on your stand? Those products could deep six your station with picky bears.
    Don't do anything illegal, he isn't worth it.

I'd reposition that trail cam in a way to catch him on the trail in and take the face pic to the troopers. At least he hasn't stolen the camera.
    At the very least, leave a note saying you have his face pic and turned it into the troopers.

Sure has been alot of crap out in the bear woods this year, it's a real shame, too.

Default Booby Trap

I would set up a booby trap and ask him questions while he is hanging upside down in a tree.

He is probably urinating or putting something like cayenne pepper in it to keep the bears out. Report him to the troopers!

hey where is your stand I would love to go and sit in another persons stand no work on my part you already did it all. Thanks again... Yeah not all people like to bring jonny law into the scene but ethically what else can you do. If anything you can probably find his rig then just shut up and let him hang himself.. Good luck with that...

Default call the troopers and report it.

I would do that first and then I would figure out when he is coming to your stand and I would plan a day or two of sitting trying to catch them. I believe I had someone sitting on one of my stands last spring. It won't happen again!

Here is the pic you were trying to post. The [ was missing at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Wish that guy was messing with my bait!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I don't smell anything funny at my stand, so I'm not sure what he was doing. No gas, oil, cayenne or anything like that. I will be sitting out there all weekend though. I'd love to catch him. I did reposition my camera though, so if he still is messing around I hope I have a good pic of his face.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Hey, I am terrible with trying to judge the size of bears. This one looks huge but I have been wrong before (twice). How big is this thing?? Thanks for any advice.
    Mark

Default Bait site

Id 2nd that what AKhunter said and hide out for him?? But that could also turn sour fast?? Im not sure what Id do since I talked to the troopers a few years back about somebody messing with my old site and he said there is nothing they can do unless they catch him hunting @ the site and he is not listed on the pemit,Or if you know who it is and cought him hunting @ the site you could turn his name in they they would look into it? The Trooper that I talked to didn't much care about what I had to say?? So I moved and now the only problem Im haveing is this big Bruin eating all my Bait Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!!
    And yes thats a 55gallon drum about a foot off the ground..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Anyone else have problems with people messing with there bait stations? I have some guy coming to my bait station. I can't tell what he is doing to it but since he has been there I haven't seen any bear. I saw many before he showed up.
    I like how everyone is jumping to the conclusion that since he was at your bait, he must be doing something wrong. It's not illegal to check out someones bait. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. I think it's an easy way to keep people honest, and I have no issues leaving notes (telling them to clean up or I'll lead a trooper to their bait) at stations full of trash and whatnot. I'm not defending the person who showed up at your station, but it doesn't sound like you have any evidence that he's doing anything wrong. Has he come to your bait more than once?

That is a nice blackie very nice. Im not sure how big, but he'll go 6 and half easy. Maybe 7. Just maybe.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast