Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Simms waders worth the money?

Default Are Simms waders worth the money?

Thinking about buying Simms G3 waders. I need something I can bust through brush, climb in and out of the boat, wear all day.

Anybody have an opinion?

Default waders

IMHO Yes!

kingfisherktn

In my opinion they worth every bit of whatever they cost. I have a pair that have lasted 5 years of hard fishing with no problem. Buddies have spent less, but had to re-buy every other year.

I've never had a pair of Simms, but I bought a pair of Orvis (Clearwater model I think) about 8-9 years ago. I think they have now sprung a leak in the crotch and so I'll probably replace them this year. I paid $129 for them. Couldn't really see spending the 2 or 3 hundred bucks for Simms.

Default YES!!!

I love them. I bought a pair of G3's when they first came out in 2003 and still use them today--and I mean use them.. I wade fish a good 9 months out of the year, sometimes as much as 5-7 days a week, also use them in my drift boat. Still using the same pair without any issue what so ever. I ended up buying a new pair off ebay this year to keep for the day they finally decide to give out. Love em', wouldn't think of using anything else--I actually got the second pair because I like the older design--I am sure the 08' models are an improvement, I know and love the original and do not want to change.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I'm going into my 7th season. I wear them for two-week wilderness trips in AK and the Yukon, in addition to CA fishing trips. On the longer trips they are worn most of the day, every day. I've had zero problems. My buddies have Cabela's better models. One got two seasons before failure and the other is into his third, but his use is lighter.

To me they are worth the extra money because I don't want to try and repair a failure 50 miles from where the floatplane dropped me off.

DWK

I bought some Wright and McGill waders that are pretty good waders. They come with a built in back support belt that is pretty nice. Cloudveil also makes some good waders. MacAfee's on Diamond had some Cloudveils on sale last week. $225 for a wader that usually goes for over $400.

Quote Originally Posted by propgrinder View Post
    Thinking about buying Simms G3 waders. I need something I can bust through brush, climb in and out of the boat, wear all day.

Anybody have an opinion?
    sure: here's my opinion - try it on.

those g3's are a complete boon doggle. nothing good about them. they don't fit in many different ways. tight in the chest and thigh. too long in the inseam, which is particularly noticeable with the stiff material. huge boot feet that I can't see fitting anyone. then there are those velcro wader belt loops which is the dumbest idea since the velcro gravel guards that they don't make anymore. the zipper isn't worth $300 either.

If i had a choice, I would take the 3mm neoprene cabelas for 50 bucks, which will last 10 times longer, over the simms G3 for free, and spend the rest on another rod.

YES! You mean there are other brands of waders? I still have my first pair of original guide waders from eight years ago that I have been using for gold panning and atv riding since I got my g3 waders in 05. I don't have leaks in either. When panning I am on my knees for hours at a time. I thought that would wear them out quickly but still no leaks.
    Great waders.

Default Check Ebay too

As well as a couple of the local shops if they have any of the 07' and older G3 models left--they were all blowing them out at discount. My backup pair of G3's I purchased new from an online retailer who runs some things through ebay. I paid $206 for them shipped. There are some great deals to be had on Simms gear on ebay---if you are fine with the original designs and last year models.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I used Simms Guide model waist-highs for years and still have them. When I bought my G3 chesties I was surprised at how much better they were than the Guide models. The fabric is tougher, more pliable, and more slippery in the current. Compared to Cabelas, Dan Bailey, and Patagonia there's no question that my G3s are the better wader. Those are the only comparisons I have personal experience with. That isn't to say those other brands aren't good. In fact my wife prefers Dan Bailey because of the way they fit.

I wore a hole in the heel of a neoprene booty on my old pair because I was too lazy to clean the gravel out of my boots. Simms replaced the booties and paid the return express shipping and wouldn't accept a penny from me even though the failure was my fault. They've provided me with nothing short of spectacular customer service and support. Any company that provides me high quality products and backs them up wins my business for the long haul. Simms has filled the bill.

stevesch,
    The zipper model is the new G4. It is an expensive item that I felt wasn't necessary, so did SIMMS. They have a G4 model that comes with out the zipper (Pro Series). The material is much stiffer than the G3 and seems it will hold up better. I picked up a pair for this year and have used them once, they are nice.

I agree about the built in gravel guard, I liked the old style ones from the guide series. But the benifits out weigh the negative in my opinion.

The biggest thing is finding a pair that fits right. SIMMS has a wide range of sizes (tall, King & regular). If you have an issue with the boot size, you can always have them custom fit (a friend of mine had to have larger boots put on his), not sure on the price on that.

Default Simms or other?

Simms are tough. My Simms Classic Guide waders are 5 years old. When I hike through heavy brush, sliding down a scree slope, or rap my shins on beaver pungee sticks, I don't think about my waders. I have patched leaks from kneeling on sharp rocks and once had Simms repair a seam leak - after they got slammed in a tailgate. But after all the abuse they've taken, those Guides are still my go-to waders. When you put together a big trip, whether it's a fly-out float or drive-out camping trip, you don't want key gear to fail you. My experienced friends/mentors here use Simms. Only Simms.

Other brands work. They perform well for many. People in my family use Cabelas and Stearns, which serve well, but they don't stress the materials much either. They do cost less. My first waders were Cabela's neoprenes.

Size? Once I tried on new G3 Guides, but did not like them - too snug in the legs. Later, I learned that Simms has waders in 75 or so sizes (girth, inseam, stockingfoot combinations). If I buy more waders someday, then I guess I could find something that fits better.

Bottom line:
    -Paying less is better if you're not hard on waders.
    -Or, don't travel far to fish (or whatever).

But if you plan "...something I can bust through brush, climb in and out of the boat, wear all day", then Simms will be hard to beat. Especially if you're 200 miles from Anchorage - on the trip of a lifetime.

Good luck.

Default Worth every penny

I will never buy another brand of wader. After buying the cheap stuff every year for five years, I bought a nice pair of Orvis Waders. The next year after they were leaking I bought the simms. Four years later I'm still wearing the same ones. I feel that it is money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    sure: here's my opinion - try it on.

those g3's are a complete boon doggle. nothing good about them. they don't fit in many different ways. tight in the chest and thigh. too long in the inseam, which is particularly noticeable with the stiff material. huge boot feet that I can't see fitting anyone. then there are those velcro wader belt loops which is the dumbest idea since the velcro gravel guards that they don't make anymore. the zipper isn't worth $300 either.

If i had a choice, I would take the 3mm neoprene cabelas for 50 bucks, which will last 10 times longer, over the simms G3 for free, and spend the rest on another rod.
    WOW, I guess there is "one born every minute".

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    WOW, I guess there is "one born every minute".
    more than every minute: where do you think people who buy Simms waders come from?

(BTW - I tried them on yesterday again - and they have even more fatal flaws than I thought, not the least of which is a wierdly long inseam (around 33+" inches in the medium), which causes that stiff lower leg material to bunch up)

There's always next year, and the year after that, or whenever simms figures out how to make waders that fit.

more than every minute: where do you think people who buy Simms waders come from?

(BTW - I tried them on yesterday again - and they have even more fatal flaws than I thought, not the least of which is a wierdly long inseam (around 33+" inches in the medium), which causes that stiff lower leg material to bunch up)

There's always next year, and the year after that, or whenever simms figures out how to make waders that fit.
    If you are seriously interested in owning a pair of the best waders made you can go to a tailor and get measured then send the measurements into Simms and they will custom make you a pair of waders to your specs. Or, like 6xLeach said they have like 75 different sizes. If you would rather wear a pair of $50 3mm neoprene waders so be it, enjoy. Just remember to take a nice big towel with you, so you will be able to dry off good when you climb out of them.

Smile Simms FIT

Whoa, dude! Sounds like what you're talking about is FIT. Here's the size chart for Simms waders, men's (below). Outside of these, like Ak Troutbum said, Simms will custom fit if you wish. Simms will build a nice pair of those Muck boots in too.

Propgrinder: Simms are sold in every fly shop. Simms waders are purchased by guys who can and would buy any other wader they wanted, but they buy Simms. Field tested, something to consider carefully in AK. You can pay less, but if you are hard on your waders, you might have to replace them more often than with Simms. I can vouch for Simms guarantee. And if you abuse the waders (the tail gate slam wasn't my fault), they will fix them right for a moderate fee.

At the upper end, IMHO, the value of some outdoors gear
    should consider the guarantee/service. Aire rafts, Kimber rifles, Simms waders, Sage rods, etc. These companies answer the mail when you have a gear problem.

Good luck picking your waders. FIT, shouldn't be an issue with Simms waders.

Men's Wader Size Chart
    MEN'S SIZES
    AVAILABLE IN:
    LARGEST GIRTH
    INSEAM
    STOCKINGFOOT

(Chest, waist, or hips)
    (Crotch to floor)

XS
    FS ONLY
    33" - 34"
    31" - 32"
    5-6
    S
    G3, CG, RT, L2, TW, LW, FS
    35" - 36"
    31" - 32"
    7-8
    SK
    G3, CG, RT
    37" - 38"
    31" - 32"
    7-8
    M
    G3, CG, RT, L2,TW, LW, FS
    39" - 40"
    33" - 34"
    9-11
    MS
    G3, CG, RT, L2
    39" - 40"
    29" - 30"
    9-11
    ML
    39" - 40"
    35" - 36"
    9-11
    MK
    41" - 42"
    33" - 34"
    9-11
    L (9-11)
    43" - 44"
    33" - 34"
    9-11
    L (12-13)
    G3 ONLY
    43" - 44"
    33" - 34"
    12-13
    LS
    G3, CG, RT, L2
    43" - 44"
    31" - 32"
    9-11
    LL (9-11)
    43" - 44"
    35" - 36"
    9-11
    LL (12-13)
    G3 ONLY
    43" - 44"
    35" - 36"
    12-13
    LK
    45" - 46"
    33" - 34"
    9-11
    XL
    47" - 48"
    35" - 36"
    12-13
    XLS
    G3, CG, RT, L2
    47" - 48"
    31" - 32"
    9-11
    XLL
    G3, CG, RT
    47" - 48"
    37" - 38"
    12-13
    XLK
    G3, CG, RT, L2, TW, FS
    49" - 50"
    35" - 36"
    12-13
    XXL
    51" - 52"
    35" - 36"
    12-13
    XXLS
    G3 , CG
    51" - 52"
    31" - 32"
    9-11
    3XL
    G3 ONLY
    55" - 56"
    35" - 36"
    12-13
    3XLS
    G3 ONLY
    55" - 56"
    31" - 32"
    12-13

G3 = G3 Guide Wader
    CG = Classic Guide Wader
    RT = RiverTek Wader
    L2 = L2 Wader
    TW = Travel Wader
    LW = Lightweight Wader
    FS = Freestone Wader

Default worth every penny

SIMMS are worth it. Looking at comparable waders on the market, they are not overpriced. They are a lot of money: as is every top quality Gore-Tex product on the market. Royalties, baby. Same with the zipper. Royalties. Neither product belongs to SIMMS. They use them and pay royalties to the patent holders- Gore and the zipper guy. Fit's not an issue: what you will pay to get the perfect fit may be. The big thing to consider when you buy waders is this: low initial cost, but what is 5 year cost? High initial cost, but what is 5 year cost? With Cabela's for instance, there's a low initial cost, but I can't count how many stories I've heard of failure on the first trip- at least one instance on a once in a lifetime Kodiak trip, where being wet took ALL the fun out of the trip. That person was out the money for the cheap set of waders, had a very spendy hunting trip nearly ruined, and now owns a pair of SIMMS. Had he kept with the original pair of cheap waders, he could have limped by for 5 years with a new set each year, and leaks during each year, and ended up spending more than for a new set of SIMMS, which generally last 5 years under normal to very heavy use.

If they fit your body and your budget, go with the SIMMS. Consensus is that they are very breathable, have a great warranty program, and real people to talk to about your service. When bought from a local fly shop, the guys/gals there will usually help you with any warranty stuff, too. Not to replace out of their stock, but to help you get them shipped and answer any questions, etc. If you can't afford at least the Guide model, Bailey's is a good second choice at $199. They are not GoreTex, so are not quite as breathable, and their fit is not always quite as good, but they are very durable and a good quality wader.

I own 4 pairs of SIMMS, and they are all terrific. The oldest pair is in its 5th season; the last two seasons have just been part time use, but they are holding up great. My wife has Baileys, because the shop had a pair in stock that fit her well. I helped wear out a pair of Baileys- I was the 3rd owner, using them their 4th season. Myself and the previous owner walk more when we fish than anyone I know, and do it fast.

6Xleech's lengthy post is revealing about the wierd sizing of simms waders:

1. inseam - as I suspected, a 33+ inseam in a medium - just way too long - probably closer to 34"; what species are they trying to make this for?

2. chest - if they are claiming 39-40" in the medium chest -, it is closer to 39, since I'm a 37 chest and there is certainly no more than 2" (probably less), allowance for clothes.

And they are claiming a medium large has the same chest as the medium regular. Not real swift. Not much of a choice.

Fit IS a major issue with simms waders (or more properly, lack thereof); there are alot of choices, but that doesn't mean any of them fit everyone, or anyone, very well. They don't. Just not very well thought out construction through the entire line of sizes. If it's any indication, all of the shops around me have plenty of inventory, and are marking them down.

Bottom line - if they fit - buy them, if they don't - then pass. But don't buy these things without trying them on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast