Thread: Kodiak Bear Hunt

Default Kodiak Bear Hunt

Returned from a Kodiak bear hunt just over a week ago -I thought I would have pix to post by now, will do so when I get them downloaded. We stayed on a 56' boat and had a great time. Nothing like grilling ribeyes and halibut fishing at the same time you are glassing for bear! We passed several rubbed bears, one 8 footer taken and a missed opportunity on a 9-10 footer at close range. I have to say, "roughing it" on a boat is definitely the way to go!! We saw 12 different bears in 10 days. All down low, near or on the beach, and very lethargic.

Who did you hunt with?

My brother has a really nice commercial fishing boat that he also charters in PWS for deer and bear. We ran from Seward to Kodiak where we checked in, then out to the hunting area, back to Kodiak to check out and on back to Seward. If it weren't for the high cost of fuel, this trip could have been really cheap. Two years ago we could have done this trip for hundreds of dollars rather than $3,500 that we spent on fuel this year! One caveat here, we got the boat for cost, rather than charter rates since it was a total family trip. My 73 year old father also went on the trip and he decided to put in for permits next year. All four of us got within 50 yards on an 8 footer that we passed up early in the trip. Good times. Something to be said for drinking coffee in the wheelhouse and glassing while it is spitting snowballs and blowing 30 knots! I have another brother with a 50 foot boat that is just as nice and has a shelter deck on the back for skinning animals - he's on for the October deer hunt.

what part of the island did you guys hunt?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

No sense in roughing it if you do not have to. I look forward to the pictures.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default West side

Sorry, but that's about as close as I point to any hunting or fishing spots. I'm sure you can understand, since I'm hoping to get a bear there next year with my dad and son - if we all get permits!

lol@if we all get permits...if all get permits don't say anything in here!! lotta guys been reaching for one for years! you can have the west side and its "secret" spots. Sounds like sitting in a cabin watching it snow as worth the trip by itself!!
    Master guide 212

Default LOLs

I know what you mean about the draws, but a PMA must help. I've drawn Kodiak 3 times myself, one brother once, another brother twice, and my dad once. I've only blanked on a Kodiak permit once. One trip I didn't go on, the other was on my other brother's old boat and got a 10-4 monster, and this one were I passed most of the bears I saw. I hope I don't jinx this year's draw, but myself, my wife and my son all have drawn and harvested delta bison and had a record draw of 13 permits one year - and we did all the hunts successfully except for the elk hunt and on that one they were on the other side of the Island. Shoot me a PM and I'll give up some more on the area we hunted. I don't think it is in your area.

i thought i told you not to say anything...but if you reallllyyy must rub it in...geez!!!
    no thanks on the area, not a fan of the west side of the rock, guided over there for a while and now that i'm on the east side i like it much better, very very few bears though on the east side and most of them all rubbed and little....i don't like packin' big bears around. so i guide over there on the east side!
    Master guide 212

Default Hmmmm

That's got me thinkin...

lol ya keep thinkin' then call rohrers bear camp and see what kinda bears they've been shooting over on the west side....lol you won't wanna come over to the east side, besides its alder free on the east and thats no way to hunt!! sun always shines too....who wants that....
    Master guide 212