Thread: Bolder Creek on 5-19-08

Default Bolder Creek on 5-19-08

For anyone interested the Bolder Creek Trail is completely open. Had a great ride there last Monday. For those tired of Jim Creek - head north to Bolder. Lots of moose (12) lots of sheep (over 50) and a few spruce hens to see. Enjoy!

I'm still new to the area. Can you give me the directions to the trail and where to park.

Thanks Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    I'm still new to the area. Can you give me the directions to the trail and where to park.

Thanks Rick
    It's correct name is the Purinton Creek Trail. The sign on the highway will say that. It ends up at Boulder Creek which is why it's also called Boulder. There is a big parking area on the left side of the Glenn Hwy between mile 89-90. Beware of private property you have to cross on the easement- no camping or fires the first miles in.

Yeah, here I am sitting in Illinois wishing I was home. I'll be hitting Boulder Creek when I get back. Thanks for the update!!
    EricL

Default what kind of riding

Is boulder creek would you say easy imtermediat or hard

lots of water crossings trail hills ( cliffs ) never been on it
    but would like to try and with the wiife having a machine this
    year i have to be carefull for her yet and does any one have
    pictures of it???

Larry
    Last edited by thehappyalaskan; 05-24-2008 at 12:55. Reason: bad word error

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post

pictures of it???

Larry
    It's one of the easiest trails. It does have a few mudholes that you can't avoid and you might get stuck a couple times, no biggie with winches. It has a rock garden section of trail for a mile or so. Once you get to Boulder Creek you have to cross and you'll need some one to chime in who crossed lately to let ya know how high the river is.
    On a scale of 1-5 with 1 being easiest Boulder is rated 2, I think it should be rated a 1 unless the river is high. Easy for beginners.

pictures of it???

Larry
    There are a couple of areas that get rather steep. The one I'm thinking of is the trail that heads up to the overlook of East Boulder Creek. Gets pretty steep the last 20 or 30 yards. I sure wouldn't take anyone up there that isn't prepared!!
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    There are a couple of areas that get rather steep. The one I'm thinking of is the trail that heads up to the overlook of East Boulder Creek. Gets pretty steep the last 20 or 30 yards. I sure wouldn't take anyone up there that isn't prepared!!
    No, it's gentle rolling hills all the way in and then you travel in the river bottoms up Boulder Creek. You can also go up East Boulder Creek aways until it climbs into a goat trail.
    Around 8 miles in where you have to cross those bad mud, water holes next to the rock faces, there is another trail on the left headed up, it's kind of steep but there is no reason to climb it unless you want to for the views or you know that trail to the Hwy and want to take it.
    I'm sure you can look for other steep short side trails but the main trail in has none. Little kids on 50cc 3 wheelers ride the trail

Default water conditions

Hey the wife said yes for this trip on this sunday
    does anyone know what the water conditions was last week
    or even in the middle of the week
    and if water is to deep how far of a ride can you get in there before you have to cross water?
    and if i understand right once you cross the river it opens up some and you ride a valley or do you have alot of water crossings to do??
    thanks Larry

Hey the wife said yes for this trip on this sunday
    does anyone know what the water conditions was last week
    or even in the middle of the week
    and if water is to deep how far of a ride can you get in there before you have to cross water?
    and if i understand right once you cross the river it opens up some and you ride a valley or do you have alot of water crossings to do??
    thanks Larry
    It ain't no secret that the water is down. It's the lowest I've seen it this time of the year in quite awhile. This observation is from last sunday when I looked at the Matanuska, Hicks, Boulder, Caribou and the Nelchina where they all cross the Hwy. I doubt they are running much higher now.
    At mile 8 you will come to Boulder creek. You have to keep crossing and recrossing Boulder to go upriver. Not much of a valley, mostly riverbed. It does open up a bit by Simpsons cabin. Watch out for fossils, there are some dandy ammonites in there.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    It ain't no secret that the water is down. It's the lowest I've seen it this time of the year in quite awhile. This observation is from last sunday when I looked at the Matanuska, Hicks, Boulder, Caribou and the Nelchina where they all cross the Hwy. I doubt they are running much higher now......
    Global Warming. Global Cooling.

Global Somethin'......

Default ok the wife tiped over

Ok guys the wife tiped over on the way out on the first
    hill away from the parking lot to the left of the parking lot
    so we went to the big pull out and took off to the left hand
    side of it up the hill and sence she had trouble going up
    and coming back down is the right side any better or is
    there another trail that doesnt have that hill
    otherwise it was a great ride foggy most of the day but did
    see some sheep the water was high so did go up very far
    but was fun
    oh yeah the wife is fine and the wheeler is fine
    just couldnt take any pictures of it
    Last edited by thehappyalaskan; 06-15-2008 at 19:54. Reason: for to tell all is well

Ok guys the wife tiped over on the way out on the first
    hill away from the parking lot to the left of the parking lot
    so we went to the big pull out and took off to the left hand
    side of it up the hill and sence she had trouble going up
    and coming back down is the right side any better or is
    there another trail that doesnt have that hill
    otherwise it was a great ride foggy most of the day but did
    see some sheep the water was high so did go up very far
    but was fun
    oh yeah the wife is fine and the wheeler is fine
    just couldnt take any pictures of it
    I forgot to mention there are three trails that will get you into Boulder Creek One has some CLIMBS.
    The POPULAR trail in is further down the Hwy than the way in you took I believe. Large parking area off the Hwy and the trail starts at the far east end. It goes up in elevation a bit through the trees but nothing you can roll over on, I think. Sorry if I steered you to harder trailhead

Talking dws

thanks and you didnt steer me wrong at all i was in the big parking lot but took the trail to the west and the hill wasnt bad just a rut that i know scared her and she stopped just as a front wheel went in im sure so she learnt a lesson and i just have to be a little ore carefull because i dont want her scared so deffinatly not steer wrong and the ride was great anyways but i will admit once again the water stopped me it was running hard and fast from 2 days rain up there i didnt even wade out in it to see how deep it was but i could tell it was up in alot of the over flow areas right there by where you fisrt come out on the river but knowing the east side is better i will go back forsure would love to get backin that vally look beutifull
    so thanks
    Larry