Thread: Carb help on '01 Suz. King Quad

Default Carb help on '01 Suz. King Quad

I have noticed that there is a lot of carbon around the outlet of my old wheeler's exhaust. How can I lean out the mixture so it runs leaner? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I have noticed that there is a lot of carbon around the outlet of my old wheeler's exhaust. How can I lean out the mixture so it runs leaner? Thanks for any help.
    Instead of relying on the exhaust, you'll get a better indication from looking at the spark plug.

Are you seeing any other problems--rough idle, hesitation or sputter on acceleration, backfiring? If so, changing the jet might not be the approach you should take.

I don't know the specifics of your machine, but most carbs have the main jet located at the top of the float bowl. You'll need to remove the carb from the intake boot (you can leave the cables hooked up), and unscrew remove the bottom of the float bowl. Then you'll see a brass hexagon with a hole in it--that's the main jet. To lean it out, you'll want to replace this with a jet with a smaller hole. These jets are relatively standard, so you can most likely get replacements at any just about ATV or motorcycle dealer.

Unless you're racing, you shouldn't have much need to mess with the main jet. However, if your machine is really old, I guess that the hole could have eroded bigger over time. If you are running at higher altitudes, then a smaller (leaner) jet might be in order.

Default I was thinking...

... more in the line of a pilot air screw. The plug as well indicates that it is running rich, and I seem to remember that you could lean out the old Keihins and Mikunis with a turn of the screw driver (not the idle adjusting screw), but I can't remember if you turned it in or out.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... more in the line of a pilot air screw. The plug as well indicates that it is running rich, and I seem to remember that you could lean out the old Keihins and Mikunis with a turn of the screw driver (not the idle adjusting screw), but I can't remember if you turned it in or out.
    Correct. The pilot air screw controls rich/lean. In/clockwise leaner and out/cc richer. Turn in increments of 1/4 turn, then check.