Thread: Brown bear hunting is EASY!

Default Brown bear hunting is EASY!

Well, that's at least what you would think after our 1 day hunt. My brother shot a bear in the first hour, which was a smaller bear but with our limited time to hunt we didn't want to pass up any opportunities. We watched it for over half an hour from 25 yards turning up rocks and figured it to be a 3-4 year old bear. He nailed it behind the shoulder with his .338 and it ran 15 yards before piling up.

It took us about an hour and a half to get him skinned out, and we got back in the boat and headed south. Only half an hour or so later, we decided to head to another island and started cutting over to it. I saw a bear moving quickly along the beach, so we turned and watched it, and decided to go after it. We hit the end of the beach and got on shore into some rocks. We pushed the boat out with my brother and buddies son on it, and I had bow in hand with a .375 H&H over my shoulder held by my buddy. My brother was taking video from the boat. The area was at the end of the beach and as we worked onto shore, we noticed it was only 20 yards to a sheer cliff, so if something happened it was going to be in close range. We didn't see the bear for a couple of minutes, so we started working towards another rock outcropping. About 20 yards out (half way to the rock outcropping) the bear popped out on top of the cliff and walked a path right towards us.

All we could do was sit down and hope for the best as we were right out in the open. You can faintly see the bear just right of center in this shot...

As the bear came closer, the boat drifted behind some rocks and my brother was able to get one last bit of video before I released the arrow. The bear walked onto the lighter gray colored rocks in the above picture.

The bear walked by at 10 yards and my buddy whistled at it to get her to stop. As soon as she stopped and looked our direction, I let the arrow fly and it cut right through her like butter. She grunted and ran to the edge of the cliff on some rocks, saw the boat and turned back towards us. She made it a couple more steps and fell over dead less than 20 yards from where I shot her. Here is where she took her last breath...

Now for some truth to the matter. I saw that she was collared, I saw that she was rubbed pretty good, and she wasn't a monster but I didn't care. I set my standards low for this hunt because I was set on using the bow and we had limited time to hunt. The collar was placed on the bear over 13 years prior as that is the last time they had done any tagging on Admiralty. It had literally grown into the bears neck. The bear had open wounds on the neck, crap piled up 3" thick around the collar, hair up to the chin and down to the sternum. It was in bad shape and to the point it was getting strangled by the collar.

The biologist said they stopped using that type of collar several years after that, and now they use a type that falls off after 4 years. They were pretty disgusted with what they saw as well. The skull measured out to 21&7/16" and hide was nearly 8 feet paw to paw and over 7 feet nose to tail, so she wasn't a slouch, but I plan to just tan the hide and hang it somewhere in the house.

I'm jacked about finally getting a coastal brownie with my bow, especially since I got the grizzly last May. Next time around I'm holding off for a big old boar.

nice it dont happen like that often but when it does wow what a ride. Congrats on a couple of nice bears.

Default Awesome Job and Great Story

Great job man, and thanks for providing so many details and so many pics! It's nice to get a few breaks and have a hunt that feels easier than some others, to balance things out and keep our hopes up during the hunts where the weather really sucks or the animals have left the country.

Default Nice

That should help out the deer a little. Congrats to your brother and you, that makes it an experience that you will remember for ever.

Terry

Nice bears Jerod. Looks like you did that old sow a favor by putting her down. Hopefully she hadn't suffered too bad.

I'm stoked FOR you, Jerod. Great job at getting close to those bears!

Collaring and tagging animals disgusts me terribly. Thanks for bringing that out of the closet. Let's just either leave them alone or SHOOT them!

Congrat's,

Taylor

Great story and pics! Congrats to you and your brother, it doesn't get much better than that. Unbelievable about the collar deal...what are those people thinking???

congrtas dude,Im pumped for you.

It's great when you can do that with a Brother along .
    Great Photo's and story .
    Collars are fro dogs not Bears Period !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Nice work buddy!!!

So did that collar smell worse than my feet did on our last caribou hunt?

The biologist mentioned that alot of bears were collared and monitored in the area due to the close proximity of the mine. I talked to my buddy down in Juneau today and he met a friend at fish and game that was checking in another bear. The collar was still sitting outside in the tent because it still stunk too bad to take inside. The stink wasn't just from the crap piled around it, some skin and alot of fat came off on the inside of the collar. I nearly had to skin the **** thing off the bear. I'm definately not a fan of collaring either. I can't believe with today's technology, they can't come up with a better way to tag and track these critters.

Thanks for the congrats on the bear even though she is probably the stinkiest, nastiest bear on the ABC's. I dropped it off at the tannery today, so I'll see how she turns out in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    Nice work buddy!!!

So did that collar smell worse than my feet did on our last caribou hunt?
    Even though I heaved a few times and tossed out a vurp or two, nothing can really compare to your stinky battleships you call feet.

See ya on Thursday.