Thread: 5 Gallon Buckets in Juneau

Default 5 Gallon Buckets in Juneau

Does anyone know where I can find some 5 gallon bucks (for free hopefully) around Juneau without going through a ton of laundry detergent, or the like, at a time? Anyone have any extra that they don't mind parting with for a few bucks? I am tired of getting tangled up in line on the deck.

Also, I need a small dingy to get out to my moored boat. I have not had any luck so far. I am not looking to spend more than $100-$150. The less the better. Anyone have any leads?

I have a few buckets layin' around that I can part with...$5 a whack or $20 for 5.

I am leaving for Outside in an hour or two, but will return monday the 26th. PM me if you (or anyone else, for that matter) want a few.

Mark

I sent you a PM.

Try all of the local restaurants. Pickles come in the green, round 5 gal buckets - I always used them for oil changes. Gotta be in good with the manager to get lids that aren't busted though.

Mayo comes in the square white buckets. Once rinsed and dried, they're great for holding 'butt fillets while waiting for the vac bag process.

When we owned the Red Dog, I always had the kitchen crew keep a stack in the corner for me. Now I have to go ask and pick them up a few per week. Otherwise, they usually go in the trash... Unless there's another fisher-person or boater working there... then they get hoarded pretty quick.

The Dog is always good for a few each week in the summer, and 1 or 2 per month in winter. Higher volume places (Hangar, Twisted Fish, Baranof, Donna's, etc.) might have more available (of course they've all got fishermen frequenting their dumpsters too!)

Fred Meyer has em, but I think you'll be in for close to $10 if you buy one with a lid (priced separately)... how lame is that! Murray Pacific in Sitka had a bunch too... again, sold for profit.

Speaking of buckets, if anyone uses Chevron Delo (synthetic) 15W40 and has an empty 5 gal bucket with the lid in tact (with the screw cap "spout") that's empty, I'm looking...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Try all of the local restaurants. Pickles come in the green, round 5 gal buckets - I always used them for oil changes. Gotta be in good with the manager to get lids that aren't busted though.

Mayo comes in the square white buckets. Once rinsed and dried, they're great for holding 'butt fillets while waiting for the vac bag process.

When we owned the Red Dog, I always had the kitchen crew keep a stack in the corner for me. Now I have to go ask and pick them up a few per week. Otherwise, they usually go in the trash... Unless there's another fisher-person or boater working there... then they get hoarded pretty quick.

The Dog is always good for a few each week in the summer, and 1 or 2 per month in winter. Higher volume places (Hangar, Twisted Fish, Baranof, Donna's, etc.) might have more available (of course they've all got fishermen frequenting their dumpsters too!)

Fred Meyer has em, but I think you'll be in for close to $10 if you buy one with a lid (priced separately)... how lame is that! Murray Pacific in Sitka had a bunch too... again, sold for profit.

Speaking of buckets, if anyone uses Chevron Delo (synthetic) 15W40 and has an empty 5 gal bucket with the lid in tact (with the screw cap "spout") that's empty, I'm looking...

-Case
    I would think there would be plenty of oil buckets by the harbor dumptsters or how about where you drain the used oil??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

When Home Depot opened in J-town, I remember they had "Homer" buckets for $1 a piece.

I scored a dozen. My wife said I was crazy - guess who "owns" more than half of them now!

I usually beach comb them or find them laying on the side of the road.

Good luck finding a dingy for $150. Maybe you can find a "death-yak", uh, I mean Sport-Yak or one of those plastic kayaks. I saw some at Wallmart, but did not check the price.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I would think there would be plenty of oil buckets by the harbor dumptsters or how about where you drain the used oil??
    People here are a bit rude when it comes to harbor ettiquette. The last few oil buckets I found in the downtown harbors had paint, gas and oil in them already. Too much of a clean-up job for me. Then there are the guys who just put a good lid on their bucket and toss the whole shebang in the dumpster...

I'll keep using my pickle bucket for now. ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Other disposable containers

Restaurants use oil in their fryers, most of this oil comes in cardboard boxes that support a thin walled plastic five gallon liner with screw on lids. They are durable and reusable -- at least until the cardboard gets soaked and falls away. I do my best to keep them dry, and then store my waste oil until I can dispose of it properly or give it to a friend who burns it in his shop heater. Some guys take the whole container pour it on slash that needs burned and toss the empty into the pile. No waste of good but but dirty oil, no plastic container in the landfill, and the containers are free.

Default Not free but...

If you're looking to minimize your line tangles, a bucket is probably not the right vessel. Get one of those large red tubs, it's the right size to coil down line, and you can coil up to 1200' (or 2 600' sets of shrimp line) in one bucket. If you're putting it in a bucket I think you'll find it wants to coil too tight, and will still make a mess.

Default dinghy

I have a couple Livingston skiffs if that would work for you.

Excepting the fact that I just spent $50.00 to jig for herring, I might have an extra bucket to give away.... I'll let you know later ...

I'd rather have a can can case full of blues this year than a single bucket. - At least buckets are available at nearly any store.

AkJob: nod and agree 100% - tubs are better than buckets for coiling.... and laundry baskets are perfect.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Nothing works better than laundry baskets for coiling. One place for 5-gal buckets is with the school district or parks and rec. when they are painting football fields in the late summer and fall often they will have stacks of them that have field paint residue inside that just go into the dumpster. The paint is environmentaly friendly and rinses out easily with water. industrial paint contractors are another source for lots of buckets that they are paying to dispose of.

Icook4: I send you a PM.
    Thanks for the help guys. I went to three restaurants last night and got more buckets than I know what to do with. I'll have to get some more laundry baskets too, I didn't even think about that.