Thread: T/C Triumph at 50 Yards

Smile T/C Triumph at 50 Yards

After sighting in at 25 I set up a target at fifty yards. This is with open sights.
    Hornady 300 gr XTP
    Hornady Sabot
    2 50/50 pyrodex pellets

After the first two shots in the bulls eye I siked myself out of the third but I was happy to get those first two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's great shooting Dave!

Just for the yuck, pick up some .490 RBs and lubed patches and try 30 grains of loose Pyrodex P in the Triumph. I bet it will stack them on top of each other, if my experience with inlines is any indicator. It will be cheap shooting practice, and in the meantime it will be an outstanding head shooter for snowshoe hares. In my experience those light loads will shoot right on the money with no change in your sights from what you're using for heavy loads.

I've got a .490 RB mold and a bunch of balls cast up already, as well as lubed patches if you want to experiment. Let me know.

I havent tried Roundball in my fast twist inline. I believe it has a 1:28 twist, maybe a 1:32. Its a T/C omega X7 You think that twist will give good accuracy with the roundballs? I wouldnt mind trying.

When I took the Muzzleloader class I used roundballs in there Knight inlines (I dont know what the twist was). That was the projectile I used to pass the shooting test. They seemed to shoot pretty good.

Nice shooting too akflyfisher. Is this your first muzzleloader?

My experience with fast twists and RB's has been pretty consistent. In both 50 and 54 cals of several makes, I get great accuracy up to 50 or 60 grains of loose Pyro P. My pard does the same with the same amounts of 3f Triple 7. But both of us have settled in on around 30 grains as optimum for both accuracy and performance on small game. With 7000 grains to a pound, you're talking around 230 shots from a single can of powder. If you're shooting RBs you cast yourself from scrap, there's no cost there but electricity. I haven't tried these loads with 209 primers, but with #11 caps they're great. I'd assume the same for musket caps, but can't even speculate about 209s.

For my own shooting I'm using balls I cast myself from free lead, #11 caps, patches I cut myself from pillow ticking and my own lube made from deer tallow and olive oil. Call it something under 10 cents worth of powder and 4 cents for the cap and virtually nothing for the patches (You can make many hundreds from a single yard of ticking at around $6 a yard, as I recall). That translates into really cheap shooting.

I get much the same kind of economy casting my own all lead conicals and using loose powder. An 80 grain load means a little less than 100 shots from a can of powder or around 20 cents a shot and free bullets. With caps call it roughly 25 cents a round.

Best of all, with a little fiddling my conicals are just as accurate as sabots, and within the effect range of open sighted rifles, there's no bonus for shooting expensive sabots and jacketed bullets over pellets. Just a different way of doing things that works out for me. I'm betting I put well over 2000 rounds a year through my muzzleloaders in an average year and a lot more when I get serious, so that kind of economy adds up fast.

Not my first, I have a few flintlocks but have not shot them in almost ten years. I just got back into this year when the wife surprised me with the Triumph for Christmas.

Let me know if you want some .490 homecast and patches Dave. I've got bags and bags of them laying around, but shoot the big stuff so much more that I seldom get to them in 50 cal. You're welcome to some for testing light loads.