Thread: Gas in Whittier

Question Gas in Whittier

Anyone know how late the dock pumps are open, or should is there a better alternative in town for filling up external cans. We are heading down there tomorrow afternoon/evening for a couple days out at a cabin and some snooping for bears and shrimp. Hopefully the weather and water are good to us...Thanks for any insight you can give. Shane

Default Pumps

The pumps above the dock by hotel use credit card, so you should be able to fill anytime.
    And I thought the fuel dock was open till 8pm but that might just be summer hours.
    I'm heading down tomorrow morning, good luck.
    Dave

I wouldn't count on using those pumps up above. There was a guy diagnosing issues with the pumps last weekend. The credit card readers weren't working up above and he said something about coming back out this week sometime after he got all the parts together. I pumped what said 23 gallons and when I got inside she charged me for 20 gal because that's what the register said. No complaints but they have issues so it might be worth a call or have a backup plan.

Default Thanks...

for the info...I went down there was on the water by 1830 hours. Something I did not expect though, the ladies come out to help tie you off, then one sets up the pump. I get my gas cans ready and she says here ya go, we are not allowed to pump the gas for you. Mind you, this is no big deal for me, I just thought they would want to do it for spill prevention purposes. I start filling the cans (3 total) and as I am half way through with the 2nd can, she hands me an absorbant pad...little late but oh well.

So on to the boating. We head out and the waves are too bad, but kinda choppy. I am running an 18 ft. weldcraft jet boat...aka riverboat...we get just past decision pt. and the water starts getting a little bigger. Would not have been so bad if it was just rolling but there was a lot of chop to it, so we turned around and headed back to Whittier. I just didn't feel comfortable with the water, my boat, and my skills on the water. Better safe than sorry is what the wife said. I was kinda bummed. So much for the two days of cabin rental at paulson bay and my hopes for some more shrimp and a black bear. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. But thanks for the info anyway. That is what I love about this site...folks always willing to share what they know.

Side note...talked to two guys who just came back from two days out. They each shot at but missed a bears. I told them the best part for me in hunting is being out there and enjoying nature and friends...they agreed that is what it is all about...the critters are a bonus.

I paid $4.60 a gallon at the Whittier Harbor Dock on Wednesday.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Ouch.. but I will pay it. Have they changed there hours now or do they still open around 8:30 again?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Think it is 8 - 8.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default $4.70 unleaded

Paid $4.70 a gal. Sat. at the fuel dock. .25 a gal. is for Whittier tax.

Default cheaper at bird ridge

If you have cans (and can hide them ) fuel is cheaper at bird ridge.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

We took 3 15 gallon plastic drums with us and before we paid for the tunnel we through a tarp over them. The lady asked if we had gas I said yes How much? 45 gallons I told her well you are only allowed 12 gallons she said .......So I said I had 12 gallons of gas and 30 gallons fresh water. She said ok and I signed a waiver. She also said they were not allowed to go through any of my stuff... Just a note for you rebels it works

Default Newbie

I am new to the area and will be hauling a 26' hewescraft. Are you aloud to have the infloor fuel tanks full or does that still apply on the fuel amount going through the tunnel? as per the last post.
    thanks T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You are allowed 12 gal. in portable containers. Permanent tanks aren't the issue.

I hear ya akdube we had "2 15 gallon water jugs" with us too and was never asked about anything

Default Well......

I have a 32gal barrel I hide inside my fish barrel and throw a pair of carharts over them.

The regulation does need to be changed. the current regulation only benefits Whittier's high fuel prices.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/