Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: current K-bay trail report

Default current K-bay trail report

i will post these as i get them from the park.
    let me know if this does or does not open...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave,

Thanks for posting that. We'll be over at Halibut Cove next week and are planning on doing some hiking.

Default latest report

here is this weeks....

We hiked from halibut cove lagoon back past China Poot Lake, and the trail was mostly snow free to the lake, and had several feet in a draw about 1/2 mile from the lake. We also hiked from the lagoon to China Poot Bay and back, no snow and just some muddy/sloppy areas.

The volunteers have been working hard cutting the beetle kill blow downs from the trails.

Here are a few pictures from our trip.

Poot Peak

China Poot Bay

Halibut Cove Lagoon from the overlook cabin

newest report

In few days, my family and I are leaving for a 7 day vacation in Homer AK. Once there, we would like to go for a day hike to Kachemak Bay State Park. Overall, our hiking experience is limited to 5 hour day hikes in California mountains.

What would be a good day hike trail to take my wife and my 14 year old son to in Kachemak Bay State Park around this time of the year?

Is K-Bay the best place for a day hike around Homer?

And if you have any good tips for spending 7 days in and around Homer area I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the update Homerdave. I will be hiking the Grewingk Glacier Trail in early July and have never hiked that area, so your provided info is much appreciated.

Would you be able to recommend a water taxi?

Thanks in advance.

Wink newest and latest

here is the latest report.
    and as far as a water taxi, i would have to recommend .... Ashore water taxi!!!
    ( uh, that's me , folks...)
    pm me for more info

Question Grewingk Creek Tram

Anybody ever use the tram? I've been wanting to go down there and try it out... seeing as how I built the dang thing (State Parks designed it, so don't blame me if there are any "issues" with it ).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Anybody ever use the tram? I've been wanting to go down there and try it out... seeing as how I built the dang thing (State Parks designed it, so don't blame me if there are any "issues" with it ).
    Not yet, but I'll be using it a week and a half from now. I'll post my experience when I get back..

We didn't get a chance to use the tram. The volunteers had hiked out to it and greased it while we were there, so it should be in working order.

MVE,

In homer you should visit the Center for Alsaskan Coastal Studies. http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/default.htm

They have excellent information on various hikes in teh parks, maps and books about the area and displays of wildlife. I wished we'd visited there before our trip.

I'd suggest taking a water taxi over to one of the ports for a day or overnight trip if you have camping gear. There are so many trails it's hard to say which is best for a day trip.

There is also a sea life center in Homer.

Thank you Paul and Dave!

Thumbs up grewingk tram

the tram is usable, and most folks who do it really enjoy the experience.
    if you are heading for it be sure to take leather gloves...sometimes i have loaners on the boat...
    it is nearly impossible for one person alone.
    if/when funding is ever appropriated it will be replaced with a bridge.

here is the newest...

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Tried out the tram a few days ago. It was a fun experience and a good workout, paticularly if there are several people needing to cross. It felt safe and stable and it was used by several others throughout the course of the day. I would also recommend you bring gloves and a buddy.

As for others that are interested in the trail itself; it is in good condition and a great day hike if you go to the lake but even better if you go all the way to the glacier. Bring enough water; I almost made that mistake... It's a pretty long day hike..

Also, I never have seen that much bear sign before (it was everywhere) and saw a black bear sow with cubs in the afternoon, so exercise caution if you go.

Quote Originally Posted by mve View Post
    In few days, my family and I are leaving for a 7 day vacation in Homer AK. Once there, we would like to go for a day hike to Kachemak Bay State Park. Overall, our hiking experience is limited to 5 hour day hikes in California mountains.

What would be a good day hike trail to take my wife and my 14 year old son to in Kachemak Bay State Park around this time of the year?

Is K-Bay the best place for a day hike around Homer?

And if you have any good tips for spending 7 days in and around Homer area I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
    Well it's been 7 months and I finally got around to process our pictures and to reflect on this amazing trip, you can read about it on this photo journal:
    Special thanks to Dave Lyon @ AshoreWaterTaxi.com (aka homerdave) for taking us across the bay to Kachemak Bay state park -- it was the most memorable experience of this vacation.

Wow, thanks for posting this! Is this a day hike you would consider if you were alone and not carrying a weapon? That's the situation I'm facing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mve View Post
    Well it's been 7 months and I finally got around to process our pictures and to reflect on this amazing trip, you can read about it on this photo journal:Special thanks to Dave Lyon @ AshoreWaterTaxi.com (aka homerdave) for taking us across the bay to Kachemak Bay state park -- it was the most memorable experience of this vacation.

Thumbs up don't worry, be happy...

easy hike, beautiful country, you won't be alone (probably the most popular trail in the park ) and no, you don't need a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by pushing50 View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting this! Is this a day hike you would consider if you were alone and not carrying a weapon? That's the situation I'm facing this summer.
    You don't need a gun -- those bears are well fed Did you see how much bear scat was on that trail? They are not going to touch you not for food anyway ...

Seriously, there were a lot of people on the trail especially towards the end of the day. I was carrying because I had no idea what to expect and I had my family with me -- no taking chances there.

Great hike and make sure to call Homerdave -- he'll hook you up with a great trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast