Thread: Parachute cord for Halibut leader??

Default Parachute cord for Halibut leader??

Guys what do you think of para cord for a halibut leader? Looks alot like what i see online. Thanks again for your help!!

Halibut are not hook shy. About any cord will work .I use commercial gagnon line, it is stiff and doesn't tangle.

Default go for it

That would be fine. I have friends who use it and they say it works good.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I fail to understand...

... all these posts about halibut leaders. What gives? You can go to Trustworthy Hardware, Safeway, Wallmart, and scads of other places and buy pre-rigged circle hooks and "J" hooks with crimped leaders and barrel swivels for just a couple bucks. How many strung hooks does a person need? I'm still using hooks I bought years ago, and with a sharpening from time to time, they work as well as new. I could understand it if one was longlining with skates, but really, buy a handful at the store and be done with it.

For the diehard DIYers, however, small diameter pull cord such as used for chainsaws, bought by the foot, works great and is very strong. Net hanging twine is also great.

It is best to use a leader that has body of its own and parachute cord does not. It's just floppy.

yea, whatever turns your crank. i bet you'll see a lot of tangle with parachute cord. Some of the old timers still use a hand line of thin rope. Drop it to the bottom and hang on.

Default I like using old Crank case chains...

for my leaders, & boy do they hold up!

Default Yeah, but...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    for my leaders, & boy do they hold up!
    ... you are supposed to catch the fish with the hook, not kill them with weight.

Sayak
    I live in Minnesota and want to tie up some rigs just for the fun of it. i am going to put a hoochie on one or two and kind of mix things up a bit. I am doing it more for the fun of it rather than the needing to do it. It helps to pass the time untill i am ready to go

This is what I use.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would not use parachute cord as a leader. While it is strong enough, it is very supple and you run the risk of your leader tangling with the sinker and/or your main line. Use gangion or 300-500# mono. Halibut teeth can do a number on a leader, so it's better to go bigger than smaller. But most of all a good stiff leader that won't twist up during the drop.

has anyone tried weed wacker line? I have used it for hauling bottum dwelling fish outa rocky areas and some toothy critters. It was cheap enough for an experiment, not sure if it would work for this application?

Side note: it was stiff enough to keep the rig from twisting up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I would not use parachute cord as a leader. While it is strong enough, it is very supple and you run the risk of your leader tangling with the sinker and/or your main line. Use gangion or 300-500# mono. Halibut teeth can do a number on a leader, so it's better to go bigger than smaller. But most of all a good stiff leader that won't twist up during the drop.
    What I have done to avoid that problem is add about a 4 inch glow tube.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Sayak
    I live in Minnesota and want to tie up some rigs just for the fun of it. i am going to put a hoochie on one or two and kind of mix things up a bit. I am doing it more for the fun of it rather than the needing to do it. It helps to pass the time untill i am ready to go
    Since you're into customizing, 1/16" or 3/32" aircraft cable works well for rigging. I use the cable the sell for downriggers for my pipe jigs. Here's the recipe:
    Buy a 1/2'' by 6" galv. pipe and a pipe cap. Drill a hole in the cap. Cut off a 10" section of cable and, using a cable crimp, attach it to a large Owner hook. Thread the cable up through the pipe and hole in the cap and mark the cable so you have about 1" of cable sticking out the bottom NOT COUNTING THE HOOK. Pull the cable back out, and put a crimp on the mark you made (this keeps the hook from going up into the pipe). Next, pull the cable back up through the pipe again and, leaving whatever cable you have left, attach a large barrel swivel with a crimp. To finish it off, cut the round tip off a hoochie and force it around the treaded bottom of the pipe so it covers the hook. You can paint your pipe jig, but it seems to work fine in the natural galvanized color. Eyes might be good.

To fish it, I soak a kotex in herring oil, WD40, or other attractor and force it up in the pipe.

Hay SAYAK, What color of hoochie do you use?

Alaska Gray
    do you put the glow tube next to the hook or at the swivel end where it ties to your line? Sorry about all the stupid question!

Default Parachute cord

I use parachute cord and it dosen't tangle too bad. Although I admit a bias for mono when Halibut fishing, it stretches too much and it tangles terribly. Besides it will cut easy if you get a nice ling or halibut. The teeth on 'but are much bigger than you think!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Colors

Quote Originally Posted by petelarue View Post
    Hay SAYAK, What color of hoochie do you use?
    Dayglo orange and dayglo green. I personally don't think it matters though. I think they are attracted to the scent, sound of the thumping on the bottom, and the feeling of the hootchie perhaps.