Thread: 17 hmr

Default 17 hmr

I usually post on the shooting forum, but due to the question I thought to post here.
    I received a 17hmr as a gift, what in the world can one hunt with a 17hmr and what range is reasonable?
    I of course reviewed the various magazine articles promoting the cartridge ,but, I would rather hear from you guys the facts............thanks,

Default .17

The HMR is an awesome little round. I use it for rabbits and grouse, but you need to shoot them in the head, or else you damage a lot of meat. I would say my comfort max range is 100 yards if there is little to no wind. Anything more than a slight wind can really effect that little 17 grain Vmax bullet. Mine is zeroed for 50 yards, and will put 5 shots under a dime every time.(as long as I do my part). I changed from a 3-9X40 to a 4-12X40, and that extra bit of magnafication really helped my grouping. Good shootin, and have fun.

Jake

In Colorado I shot prairie dogs out past 200 yards with a .17 HMR, so I imagine it'd be good for anything up to the size of a hare. And probably fox if you don't want to tear up the pelt, but you'll have to pick your shots carefully.

Its a superb small game round. Most 17's are very accurate and 100 yard small game accuracy is very attainable with a little practice. I concur with the damage statement mentioned previously. Its a little whacker of a round, no matter wich grain or type you get, and will leave craters in the meat.

Its an excellent fox round out to 100 yards as well.

I like the .17 and once you shoot yours you will too I bet.

I gave my .17 HMR to my brother. I bought it for long shots on grouse, but, in the season I used it, all shots were pretty close (through branches).

If the bullet makes contact with anything, (like a twig) it will seperate.

After peeling a couple of grouse that year, I decided to return to the .22.

My brother lives in Tok... it will be good for fox.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I just picked one up myself. I'm still accessorizin' it at the moment.

My experience with one that my one of my buds owns is that it'll turn a tundra rat inside out and does well on foxes.

It is phenomenally accurate.
    Now what ?

Cool 17

I think the main thing with the .17 HMR is that you have a great place too utilize the gun.If you have atleast a few acres that is great for plinkin' you are going to love this gun.My personl fav though is the 17 Rem,but yeah yeah that is a different thread.Thanks