Thread: Denali National Park

Default Denali National Park

The wife and I are hoping to get to Denali (Park) this Sat-Mon and perhaps do a ride into a campsite. I havn't been able to get ahold of a park ranger yet to see if this is even allowed this time of year but thought I would ask if anyone had any good tips about doing this sort of trip. We are thinking of biking in and setting up camp at one of the inner camp grounds then the next day doing a hike out into the back-country, stay one night in the backcountry and then back the next day and ride in. On paper this sounds like a ton of fun but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions about the logistics of such a trip.

Default Info from the web

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    The wife and I are hoping to get to Denali (Park) this Sat-Mon and perhaps do a ride into a campsite. I havn't been able to get ahold of a park ranger yet to see if this is even allowed this time of year but thought I would ask if anyone had any good tips about doing this sort of trip. We are thinking of biking in and setting up camp at one of the inner camp grounds then the next day doing a hike out into the back-country, stay one night in the backcountry and then back the next day and ride in. On paper this sounds like a ton of fun but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions about the logistics of such a trip.
    You may already have this, but here is some information from the National Park Website about bicycle camping.

"Plan on storing and locking your bicycle at a designated bike rack overnight at one of these locations while you hike or camp: established campgrounds, Visitor Centers and Toklat Road Camp. You must also have the appropriate gear for backcountry camping, including a Bear Resistant Food Container. Reservations are required to stay overnight in a campground along the park road. To make reservations, call 1-800-622-7275. "

Smile Biking in Denali

Biking in the park is a beautiful experience. I just biked from Wonder Lake out of the park to Savage River (72 miles). Rode through the night with no other road traffic at all - saw grizzlies, wolves, moose, lynx, eagles and breathtaking views of the mountains shimmering under the twilight of the midnight sun. I would not recommend this lengthy ride for just anyone - it's physically demanding and requires endurance. However, if you just want a good ride, call the park main offices, register for a permit to ride in the park, catch a 'camper bus' early in the day and have the bus drop you off at one of the stops along the way (Polychrome Pass, Tetlanika, etc.) A beautiful ride would be from Tetlanika to Savage River. Would take a few hours, easy ride, no major mountain passes to climb but wonderful terrain, you will likely see wildlife as well. To camp at Tetlanika requires reservations for a three day stay - I suggest camping at Savage River or Riley Creek (also requires reservations). Good luck, have fun, enjoy the park!

Jaeger33,
    How'd the trip turn out? Did you do it? I'd like to take my kids bike riding in the park; maybe on the trails by the campgrounds, it that's allowed.

Tim

Tim,

Being a wanna be park ranger for a couple years a summer job I have some experience about some of the rules of Denali. However, it should come as no suprise that riding bikes on the designated hiking trails is prohibited. You are basically limited to the road and river bars(which isn't all that fun IMO). But I would like to bike from Tek campground to wonder lake and back sometime in May before they open the road to the buses. Be a fun way to spend 3-4days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Tim,

it should come as no suprise that riding bikes on the designated hiking trails is prohibited. You are basically limited to the road and river bars(which isn't all that fun IMO). But I would like to bike from Tek campground to wonder lake and back sometime in May before they open the road to the buses. Be a fun way to spend 3-4days.
    That's what I was wondering. Can't bike on the hiking trails....

That'd be a fun trip. Isn't the road open to private vehicles in May though?

Tim

The road is open to private vehicles up to Tek Campground (30 miles in) so its another 60 miles to Wonder Lake. The only vehicles on the road at that time will be bus drivers practicing the road and NPS maintenance vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    The road is open to private vehicles up to Tek Campground (30 miles in) so its another 60 miles to Wonder Lake. The only vehicles on the road at that time will be bus drivers practicing the road and NPS maintenance vehicles.
    Ah...it does sound like an ideal time to bike then. If you did that trip would you bring saddle bags, pull a trailer, or what? Isn't camping & parking bikes allowed in certain areas only?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Ah...it does sound like an ideal time to bike then. If you did that trip would you bring saddle bags, pull a trailer, or what? Isn't camping & parking bikes allowed in certain areas only?

Tim
    My wife and I each have one of these trailers for hauling out camp and game out when hunting from our bikes in non-motorized areas. But being as we will obviously be NOT hunting off of the park road I'll probably just pull one of the trailers for the both of us as our camping gear would easily fit into one trailer then we wouldn't have to strap anything on our bikes and just wear camelbacks while riding.

I like the single wheel trailers over the dual wheel simply cause they track like a dream behind your bike and follow it exactly. Where a trailer with parallel wheels obviously will have the tires follow the rear tire of your bike nearly as well and thus fall into ruts or hit bumps that you missed on your bike. But there are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each style of trailer.

Default Nice trailer..

Little spendy, but looks like a great trailer. I use a 2-kid trailer and I've got a homebuilt that I've used in the past... I may have to modify it to try the one-wheel design.

Tim