Thread: Rhubarb recipes

Default Rhubarb recipes

I have had rhubarb in the yard for years and never do anything with it and it just keeps coming back every year.

This year I decided I better start using this stuff. Anyone have any good recipes they are willing to share?

Default Rhubarb pound cake

My wife makes a lighter/fluffier version of a pound cake, with lots of butter. She then makes the rhubarb with a touch of water, some sugar, and what ever else she feels like adding (a splash of pure vanilla extract ain't bad), and either adds this to the pound cake recipe, or sometimes glazes over the top of it with the rhubarb 'sauce.' (Comparable to the consistency of cranberry sauce, and with much the same process).

You can also make a strawberry-rhubarb jam or pie filling, by adding 1 part rhubarb to 2 or 3 parts strawberries, but add a fair bit more sugar than the strawberry recipe calls. Again, a bit of pure vanilla adds a nice flavor to it as well.

Rhubarb sauce over a thick, rich home-made vanilla ice cream is outrageously tasty, as well.

I just read this in today's online version of the News Miner...
    http://newsminer.com/news/2008/may/2...ersatile-you-/

I been cooking rhubarb for years now in the traditional pies, jams and cakes but I sure would like some new ideas too. Think I will pick up a copy of Every Which Way With Rhubarb by Amanda Brannon on my next trip to town. Sounds like a good one!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I'll ask the boss when she gets back to post her rhubarb crisp recipe. It is a true winner for anyone that has put a fork or spoon of this treat in their mouths. Using lots of oats, dare I say it? It might even be healthy, but don't let that stop anyone from trying it. It takes the good taste to get around that.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

My favorite is rhubarb crisp and the best wine I ever had was made from rhubarb. Rhubarb sauce or cake with icecream aren't bad either.

Default crisp

oooh man i love me some rhubarb crisp and i'll second ruffle on putting some strawberrys with it....i should probably learn how to make it myself too...that stuff is goooood...now i can't wait for fresh rhubarb....i like to eat it raw too....i think its poisonous for dogs though...dont' know if thats an issue but i think i heard it somewhere
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

As a kid my favorite way to eat it was, pick and peel it, get a small bowl of surgar and dip the end in the surgar and bite it off, repeat the process until you run out or get a belly ache. My Grandmother made the best strawberry Rubarb pie but she took the recipe with her when she left this earth.

Default Rhubarb Tea

My family and I drink sun tea during the summer and a real good recipe that we do is take a couple of rhubarb stalks and cut them into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and place in a tea jar with the water and tea bags. Let sit all day in the sun and at the end of the day, we pull it out of the sun, fill the cups with ice and presto...rhubarb sun tea. It is real good. We add honey to the mixture as a sweetener, but you can drink as is or add sugar...

Hope you enjoy. Bill

Rhubarb sun tea, now that sounds delicious!
    Will have to try some of that.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

How can you tell when rhubarb is ripe for the picking?

When all your neighbors' kids start eating it for you....

Sorry, I was being flippant, and making an attempt at dry, cynical humor...

We base the ripeness more on size/'plumpness' of the stalks. Additionally, if there's a moderate source of decent potassium in the soil (and nitrogen in mild to moderate amounts for proper growth), as well as a somewhat/mildly acidic ph, the stems will acquire a reddish streaking or hue to them.

When the mature stems are large enough to eat, then break off the foliage and rinse the stems in the sink, peeling off any long stringy fibers that are too tough for chewing (some of those lengths may be redeemed by cooking, if you're prepping for a baked or cooked dish), as you would do with mature celery.

My experience is that rhubarb doesn't require inordinate amounts of nutrients, so don't get too carried away with your fertilizing.

Also, as the 'flowers' (bulbous pods) begin to form at the tips of some of your stalks, you can break them off, just as you would with potatoes when they flower..

Good luck!

Smile

I'm one of the few people that I know that eats it raw dipping it in salt rather than sugar. PS, don't tell my Dr. about this we'll just keep that a secret.

A quick simple recipe that most people have raved over is rhubarb surprise cake. Take a quart or so of cut rhubarb and add a cup of water 1/2 cup (or more to taste) of sugar splashes of lemon juice an boil down to a sauce. Take off heat and add large box of jello (strawberry or raspberry are good). Mix and set aside. Make a yellow cake mix per box directions. Place a bag of mini marshmallows in bottom of greased 13x9 baking pan. Layer cake batter and finish with rhubarb on top. Yes on top. Cook as directed on cake box. You may have to adjust times. If it's still jiggly in the middle cook longer of course! Then as you will see the cake finishes flipped opposite of how you layered it. The rhubarb goes to the bottom and the cake and marshmallows blend into gooey cake on top. Not healthy but good!