Thread: fishing near russian/kenai

Default fishing near russian/kenai

I know the kenai and russian are closed till june, but I'm going down to the kenai this weekend just to float and test out my new raft. I want to know if there are any places open this time of year for trout, prefferably fly fishing. Thanks for any advice.

Default Lakes

The lakes south of there are. I fished watson lake last week and did real well. Kelly and peterson are fishable but I worked kelly hard last week with no luck. Engineer lake on skilak lake road has always treated me well also
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default hmmm

any tips on flyfishing lakes? I fly fish the kenai a lot, but stick to beads/flesh patterns. I know nothing about what type of fly to use on a lake. im assuming some sort of nymph patterns or leeches maybe. Could i put in a single cat in any of the lakes, like engineer lake? I've been there before i just cant remember what its like.

I've had luck in lakes with beadhead woolly buggers, woolly worms, and ESLs. Just cast them out as far as you can, let them sink, and strip them in. There might be a more finesse way to do it but it generally produces for me (and you get to feel the fish hit it, which is fun).

Trial and error is always good, too, so try the things that are in your fly box. My buddy slayed 'em one day just by tossing an orange egg pattern out under an indicator and just letting it sit. Basically bobber fishing with a fly setup, but he caught a lot of fish that day...

And don't forget, The Kenai river is open to dolly fishing from Keeley River at Kenai Keys and down. I was there the weekend before last and did pretty well. Fish and game stopped by to check our licenses and made sure we were not fishing for rainbows. Remember if you do hook one you can't remove it from the river.

Kub-Air

you can put your single cat in any of the lakes i have spoken about. It is no problem for a single
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

awesome. Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll head down to the Kenai to float and have lunch on the river, then maybe head down and fish some of the lakes in the afternoon. Hopefuly I'll have some luck, just gotta restock my fly box. I'll try to post back with results.