Thread: How far does the king river trail go?

Default How far does the king river trail go?

A week ago, my friend and I rode up the trail up into the hills, then back down out of the valley to a trail that runs parallel to the river overlooking the river from the top of some cliffish hills. The trail looked like it kept on going up parallel to the river but we screwed around earlier and weren't sure if we'd have enough gas to get back and turned around. I looked on google earth and it looks like the trail we were on goes to the start of the river where some other trail systems are. My friend and I are pretty new to riding in that area. Is this the king river trail? Does anyone know how far this trail goes?

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney302 View Post
    A week ago, my friend and I rode up the trail up into the hills, then back down out of the valley to a trail that runs parallel to the river overlooking the river from the top of some cliffish hills. The trail looked like it kept on going up parallel to the river but we screwed around earlier and weren't sure if we'd have enough gas to get back and turned around. I looked on google earth and it looks like the trail we were on goes to the start of the river where some other trail systems are. My friend and I are pretty new to riding in that area. Is this the king river trail? Does anyone know how far this trail goes?
    It's called the Permanente Trail. It's all part of the Chickaloon-Knik-Nelchina trail system. Yes, you could call it the Kings River Trail if you want to, everyone else calls it the Permanente Trail
    Beware the trail goes thru easements on private property.
    Awesome trail into the Kings River Valley that peters out about 19 miles in. If ya make it that far, from Mile 12 to past Mile 14 is an avalanche area that might be blocked till June and you have to cross the river 16 miles in.

Thanks for the info. Do you think it connects up to a trail called "East fork" or "ninety eight trails" that head up north east? Do these trails even still exist? I was looking on google earth and it looked close to this trail system.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney302 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do you think it connects up to a trail called "East fork" or "ninety eight trails" that head up north east? Do these trails even still exist? I was looking on google earth and it looked close to this trail system.
    Around mile 11 is a major fork in Kings River, cross the river to keep going and your on the East Fork section of the trail. These are all old mining trails, never heard 98 trails but this must refer to about mile 12, somekind of 4way intersection, going to the right follows the northeast fork of the Kings.
    Save yourself some time and go past the Kings River pullout to the START of the Permanente Trail at mile 71.8 on the glenn. It's only a few miles past the Kings River trails.

dws,

I have been up Kings river trail (the one that goes up past Ruby Lake) many times. The furthest trip we took crossed the plateau and then dropped back down (quite steep BTW) into the Kings river bottom before we had to turn back. How far can you make it up on the West side of the river? I've been on the Permanente trail both from the Glenn Hwy and from the fork that branches off of the Kings river trail, does the one over the top eventually meet back up with Permanente?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    dws,

I have been up Kings river trail (the one that goes up past Ruby Lake) many times. The furthest trip we took crossed the plateau and then dropped back down (quite steep BTW) into the Kings river bottom before we had to turn back. How far can you make it up on the West side of the river? I've been on the Permanente trail both from the Glenn Hwy and from the fork that branches off of the Kings river trail, does the one over the top eventually meet back up with Permanente?
    The trail past Ruby Lake and up top is actually the Young Creek Trail. If you would have crossed Kings River after going over the top it would have connected to Permanente(never tried it) The Kings River Trail (leaving from the bridge) hooks up to the Permanente shortly after crossing the Kings River.
    The Permanente Trail was a road built in the 60s by Kaiser gypsum to access limestone claims. It follows the west side of Kings River till mile 11 where you can cross and go up the short east fork trail or go right and hook up with some other trails, one is the northeast fork trail and it goes about another 6 miles till it fades out.