Thread: Going to Chitna

Default Going to Chitna

I am "potentially" going on a quick dipnet (leaving Fairbanks 4th June at 0000) trip to Chitna. Depending on the tenative opening by ADFG and the miles lake sonar numbers will depend if I go or not. Limited on times I can go so take it when I can. Total dipnetting time around 24 hours-on the water/cliff, leaving Chitna at 0800/0900,5th June. I have two four wheelers and a trailer (and chain saw to...ummm.break new trail if needed...LOL. Looking for someone to tag along, hard to find friends that have days off during the week. Anyone interested in riding with me (splitting truck gas) will be a welcomed guest. Also potentially can provide an extra net/pole for "tag along"
    Have a set spot I go to (few years now) and a little bit of "repelling is required" I have appropriate climbing rope and I have a harness...might be able to borrow a "medium harness " for the medium sized person. Harness is not required but does make it a lot easier.
    Went on enough...interested or want more info PM me

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    I am "potentially" going on a quick dipnet (leaving Fairbanks 4th June at 0000) trip to Chitna. Depending on the tenative opening by ADFG and the miles lake sonar numbers will depend if I go or not. Limited on times I can go so take it when I can. Total dipnetting time around 24 hours-on the water/cliff, leaving Chitna at 0800/0900,5th June. I have two four wheelers and a trailer (and chain saw to...ummm.break new trail if needed...LOL. Looking for someone to tag along, hard to find friends that have days off during the week. Anyone interested in riding with me (splitting truck gas) will be a welcomed guest. Also potentially can provide an extra net/pole for "tag along"
    Have a set spot I go to (few years now) and a little bit of "repelling is required" I have appropriate climbing rope and I have a harness...might be able to borrow a "medium harness " for the medium sized person. Harness is not required but does make it a lot easier.
    Went on enough...interested or want more info PM me
    I think you are going too early... I plan on going no earlier than the 11th.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default FYI

Thanks for the info...yeah I know it is early..I have been dipping for quite a few years now....but because of my situation I need to go when I can. Sometimes you gotta take chances....

Default You never know

Last year I went on opening day and caught 120 nice reds in 3 hours. I have also timed the run perfect by the sonar and had to fish my ass of for three days to get my 30.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Experience

Yeah this will be my first going that early(heard of others like wolfkiller luckin out)...I too have had hits and misses according to the sonar counts...my whole philosophy on the whole thing is...yeah you can probably most times predict and hit it right...but hey man it is still fishing aka dipnetting....if not they would just call it catching...or instead of hunting...just killing...LOL

Default Early Run

Good luck. Let us know how the trail is past Obrien Creek.

Default No answer

Have you found a tag along yet? I was suppose to go with a group of friends, but they all told me you couldn't take atv's past the "Danger" sign this year. I thought about the charter, but don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Default NIX

Not goin this time...got another date open up and will take one of my friends...thanks for all interests

Default Couple New guys

Hey couple GI's from FT. Rich are trying dipnetting for the first time. Any information would help out big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
    Hey couple GI's from FT. Rich are trying dipnetting for the first time. Any information would help out big time.

Take some time out and read this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31211

There are some lessons learned at Chitina everytime. Make sure you bring more than one net.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Make sure you bring more than one net
    I Second that....I watched a friend of mine lose a king + the net as he stuck it out too far and it wasn't tied off and a king hit it and ripped it out of his hands....it went slowly out and down in the current. All we could do is watch and moan...

I dipped the Chitina for a few years, then started going to Kenai after the first landslide and road damage.

Honestly I'd say for southcentral your best bet is Kenai, shorter drive (less gas), bigger fish and the river isn't nearly as dangerous.

Joecool
    hear is just a quick down and drity qucik least of some items that i would take on top of the norm stuff,
    Life jackets, rope, extra net and pole extension and a trap to make quick shelter in the canyon and a heavy duty bag (mesh/burlap or waterproof) to get fish out of the canyon. I am also thinking of a trip down from Anchorage soon as i can get a group together so a report would be great when you get back. If you need anymore info or ideas P.M me or we can tarde e-mails /#'s have a safe, fun and good trip.

Default Last minute

My buddy just woosed out on me. I am leaving early tommorrow Thursday morning around 7-8am, and will be leaving Chitina Saturday morning. Anyone interested from Fairbanks PM me..I work nights and will be checking the forum..if serious leave a good contact #. I am going regardless and have an extra 4 wheeler and net pole set for the other person, and have a tent with a stove
    Please only serious inquiries.