Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Seward Fishing

  1. #1
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default Seward Fishing

    I am heading down to Seward this weekend through next Thursday and would love to get some fishing in. Anyone have any tips for fishing around Seward? Halibut or Salmon (if any are starting to run yet).

    Thanks,
    Dan

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    I fished there on friday, but on a big charter and we ran 2-3 hours to the front side of Montegue for chickens. (which I was happy to get this time of year.) Good fishing though once we got there.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Estacada,OR
    Posts
    16

    Default

    When you say the front side of montique, Is that the ocean side or PWS side?

  4. #4
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    I think he means the west side of the island.
    Boatless

  5. #5

    Default

    torg84 - i always fish the chiswell islands and have extremey good luck

  6. #6
    Member AKCAPT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Seward

    There is no reason to run to Montague island right now. I have been fishing the 50 fathom edge from Cape Fairfield to Cape Junken with good results on every trip we have run. Good results being fish from 20 - 75 or 80 pounds, mostly fish in the 30 - 60 pound range. Slow bite but it adds up to limits for 12 fishermen of better fish than you will catch running for three hours. IT does take all day to get 24 of them but the fish are there and you have to actually fish for them. Look for some bait on your sounder, anchor up and wait for the bite.
    The water temp is 41.5 degrees..... it is way too early to be looking for a number of big halibut in shallow water, I am sure there are a few but not enough to burn 800 dollars worth of fuel to catch. Another two weeks of nice weather and the fish should move up shallower.

    I am sure if you fish the 52 fathom water a mile or so due south of Barwell Island and sit it out all morning for the incoming tide, you will catch some very nice halibut. Save your fuel and money and bring a good book to read while you are waiting. Put some chum in the water and wait it out. You will catch better fish and burn 100's less in fuel than running down the coast.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default Charter?

    Is it worth it to pay for a charter this time of year and if so does anyone know of a good one to go with? Maybe one with a military discount?!?!
    I don't have my own boat and I'm not really experienced fishing up here yet.

  8. #8

    Default

    Seward looks so great, very interesting.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    Is it worth it to pay for a charter this time of year and if so does anyone know of a good one to go with? Maybe one with a military discount?!?!
    I don't have my own boat and I'm not really experienced fishing up here yet.

    in seward there is a military resort. they have charters also... here is the link
    http://www.sewardresort.com/

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    I think AKCAPT might be available? He posts a lot and is very helpful!

  11. #11
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Thanks for all the input!! You guys rock!
    Think I am going to try out the military resort since that is where I am staying anyway. I'll let you all know how it goes.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    6

    Default Torg84

    I am heading down next Wednesday to the resort. I am taking my sons out on the resort charter on Thursday.
    Are you staying in the cabins or RV?

    Lemhi

  13. #13
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default

    We will be in one of the RV spots from Sunday to Thursday. Looking forward to checking out the area, do some hiking and some fishing.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    Thanks for all the input!! You guys rock!
    Think I am going to try out the military resort since that is where I am staying anyway. I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Im a deckhand for the resort. Our first day of fishing will be this friday. However, the seas are looking pretty big until monday. We went on a training trip for the new deckhands, out by matuska(spelling?) and by the chiswell's. There wasn't much to be had. Like the Capt. i was trying to get my capt. to go out towards junken but they didn't want to burn the fuel. Anyways, we run charters out everyday of the week. Our fish tend to be smaller that the rest of the fleet, just becuase we don't have time to sit and wait for bigger fish, or make a long run. I think you will have a great time out on our boats. Check the marine forcast on weather.gov

  15. #15
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Im a deckhand for the resort. Our first day of fishing will be this friday. However, the seas are looking pretty big until monday. We went on a training trip for the new deckhands, out by matuska(spelling?) and by the chiswell's. There wasn't much to be had. Like the Capt. i was trying to get my capt. to go out towards junken but they didn't want to burn the fuel. Anyways, we run charters out everyday of the week. Our fish tend to be smaller that the rest of the fleet, just becuase we don't have time to sit and wait for bigger fish, or make a long run. I think you will have a great time out on our boats. Check the marine forcast on weather.gov

    That's great intel! I appreciate it. I am debating whether to go with another guy on a bigger boat or go ahead and take the resort charter. The other one is more expensive but may be worth it if we can get to some bigger fish.

    Thanks again!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    6

    Default Torg84

    Good luck next week. We will be down Wednesday afternoon. What kind of rig are you in, I may look you up and see how the fishing was. If you don't mind that is

    Lemhi

  17. #17
    Member Torg84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemhi Kid View Post
    Good luck next week. We will be down Wednesday afternoon. What kind of rig are you in, I may look you up and see how the fishing was. If you don't mind that is

    Lemhi

    We will be in a 28' 1989 Winnebego Chieftan. Stop by.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •