Thread: Kasilof Setnetting

Question Kasilof Setnetting

Since they've managed to kick us off the Kenai with our big Cook Inlet 2-stroke skiffs, I'm sure the Kasilof setnet PU fishery is going to be a busy place this year. I'm teaming up with another family and we're going to give this method a try. We're working on acquiring the gear now. I've never run a gillnet of any type before and the guy I'm fishing with is an old bowpicker drift gillnet guy from years past. At least he knows the gillnet gear, but we've no experience with the setnetting technique.

Anyone fished a PU setnet at the Kasilof care to share any tips or advice on this method? Or, any commercial setnetters willing to share some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Hear them crickets?

Seriously? No one on this board has ever done any setnetting?

Or they are just keeping the secrets to themselves

Guess this is going to be another "start from zero" adventure but we'll figure it out. Interesting that the internet seems to be rather devoid of "how to" information on commercial setnet fishing as well. Guess I'll just have to drive down to Silvertip Gear Shed and start asking questions.

BTW... I will post details on what I get figured out, how I set up the gear, and how the operation went at the end of June. I'll try to get some pictures in the process.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT, I too have been looking with little result. There are some interesting vids on YouTube, though-setnetting vids that is!

Default been a few years

Jorat,
    i only did it a few times a few years back w/ a buddy. we set it up with a pully system out on a float with an anchor kinda of in a triangle pattern. we put it out right before tide started to roll in, with the led line down tide so the floats would pick up 1st and not get to messed up. we did not have a boat so when we saw the net getting heavy we would pull it in and try to reset set this is where most problems happen or when to many fish fit the net. If you are still look for gear try craigslist saw some on there not to long ago. ( by the way thanks for the offer of help w/ boat wire, i did get some great help up this way and things are looking much better know learning a lot) i will try to find any old pics that i might have of that setnet setup not sure if i have any but there used to be a guy at b.j.'s up here that had good info on that stuff and a six pack and smile in hand walking down the beach and talking with others can always get good insight most of the time.

I never did any setnetting but i've got lots of years in commercial fishing and gear building under my belt so maybe i can help you a bit? Will you be using a boat to pick the net? How long will the net be? I'd guess a good holding big anchor would be a good starting point, Any idea what mesh size the net should be? depth of the net? Will you be fishing the whole tide or just a portion of it?? If you can give me some info on that stuff maybe i can come up with a idea on how to work the gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Kasilof PU Setnet Rules

The maximum length is 10 fathoms (60') of up to 6" stretch mesh and a max of 45 meshes deep. So it's a pretty small gear set. Have a good open skiff cook inlet boat, so we can pick in the water. The fishing area includes 2 miles of coast and we're allowed to fish up to 1 mile out from shore. Just have to allow 100' between individual setnets. But I'm going to guess that the first set on the south end would be the most productive and you'd be less productive north of the river mouth.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default once or twice

You're going from a boat and w/ someone that knows web, you're set (no pun intended). What works best in my limited experience is ~1/2 mile out on an outgoing tide, near low, set parallel to and close to the channel. Gotta be out of the channel by regulation. When the water starts getting skinny on the fish they head for the channel.
    Last edited by Chaos; 05-24-2008 at 22:00. Reason: wanted to

I went and picked up my diping permit the other day and asked the F&G guy about the setnetting. Didn't get much how-to information, BUT did get conformation that the setnet fish limit is the same as the dipnet; 25 + 10 for every member of your household. If you catch more than that it's the same penalties as if you over dipped. Not sure what the damage would be. My family's limit is 55 fish. I'm thinking a 60 ft net could hit that pretty quick!

What sort of anchor would/did you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    If you catch more than that it's the same penalties as if you over dipped. Not sure what the damage would be. My family's limit is 55 fish. I'm thinking a 60 ft net could hit that pretty quick!
    I know a family that does it every year, and to ensure that they don't exceed the limit they run their net with 3 or 4 other large families. They camp out for a few days and make a big trip out of it. When the fish are running hard they are constantly checking the net, and when things are slow they relax a bit. Sounds pretty fun, actually. I might have to try this approach some year.

Default Technical details

So, these are the questions that pop up as we're trying to figure this out.

We'll be able to work from a boat, but do we want to place the gear just after low slack and let the ocean cover it, or do we want to place it out a little bit with less worry of the tide table and set it from the boat?

Should it be anchored at both ends? Or could you run up close to the beach and drop anchor on one end, back off to lay the net, then hold the other end of the net with the boat? That would naturally be dependent on how calm the water is and how strong the tide is running, but I could see it working pretty well near slack tide (high or low) and you'd be able to pick the net while pulling it in frequently to avoid exceeding the limit. With only 60' of net, it couldn't be too difficult to pull and pick often. Heck that's less than 3 boat lengths and the commercial guys are running 100 yards at a time.

Is my logic making sense?

And here's another question... a dipnet is allowed up to 4 1/2" stretch mesh, but a gillnet is allowed up to 6" stretch mesh. Is there any benefit to using the 6" for the setnet vs. just using the same 4 1/2" we use for dipnets?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Smile gear size

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    So, these are the questions that pop up as we're trying to figure this out.

We'll be able to work from a boat, but do we want to place the gear just after low slack and let the ocean cover it, or do we want to place it out a little bit with less worry of the tide table and set it from the boat?

Should it be anchored at both ends? Or could you run up close to the beach and drop anchor on one end, back off to lay the net, then hold the other end of the net with the boat? That would naturally be dependent on how calm the water is and how strong the tide is running, but I could see it working pretty well near slack tide (high or low) and you'd be able to pick the net while pulling it in frequently to avoid exceeding the limit. With only 60' of net, it couldn't be too difficult to pull and pick often. Heck that's less than 3 boat lengths and the commercial guys are running 100 yards at a time.

Is my logic making sense?

And here's another question... a dipnet is allowed up to 4 1/2" stretch mesh, but a gillnet is allowed up to 6" stretch mesh. Is there any benefit to using the 6" for the setnet vs. just using the same 4 1/2" we use for dipnets?
    4-1/2" mesh is pink gear, 4-7/8 to 5-1/8" mesh red gear, 6" silver gear

Don't want to burst your bubble here JOAT, but there's are going to be alot of people down there. We drove up and down the beach last year for two days waiting for a spot to open and slide our net in. Didn't pick up many reds... a few a day. I think we got 12reds in four days, would have been better of going to Russian and battle the crowds there than setnet on the Kasilof... Get in a boat if possible they were doing better than the shore setnetters

Default Oh well, there's always next year...

As Murphy would have it, I've been roped into some extra work in the field so I'm going to miss the whole setnet opening. Got gear lined up and was pretty much ready to go. I don't know why they make the season so dang short (9 days). So, instead of tossing in a 60' net, we'll be doing the same thing (from the boat) using 5' nets instead. We'll have to see how the Kasilof action looks first. Might just have to suck it up and work from the bank on the Kenai a bit... since the stupid 2-stroke motor is illegal.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!