Thread: dissposal of ammo ?

Default dissposal of ammo ?

What is the best way to dispose of old rounds that I don't plan to use. I cleaned out the cabinet & have various steel shot shells, slugs, & few rifle rounds that I don't have a gun for anymore. Is there somewhere I can take these & drop them off to be disposed of ?
    Thanks,

Probably the easiest way is to open up the shot shells, dump the pellets, pull the wad out, then pour out the powder. Then, pour a little oil down the case onto the primer and it'll kill it. Dispose of all in the trash, but burn the powder or scatter it.

As for the rifle shells, get a bullet puller,(http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=3&s3=32) looks like a mallet with a hollow inside. Should come with directions, follow them. Again, dump the powder out and add a couple drops of oil down the case to soak the primer. Dispose of as above.

Kurt

Default red rose powder

BTW, Roses love gun powder poured around them on the ground and watered in. Creates lots of nitrogen, don't you know. 8*)

Default Local PD

You can call your local police department and they will send an officer to pick it up (at least in Anchorage they will). APD'S bomb squad disposes of explosives for training occasionally.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....