Thread: Gaiters-Necessary?

Question Gaiters-Necessary?

Wondering what the general thought is out there on the need for gaiters for a sheep hunt in the Chugach Mountains and also a Kenai Peninsula goat hunt.

What are the primary advantages of using gaiters and what type do you recommend?

Thanx for the info...

I use gaiters on all of my sheep and goat hunts, and for most other hiking. The two primary advantages are that they keep rocks and pebbles out of my boots and that they keep my ankles drier. I can walk quickly through puddles and small streams that would go over the top of my boots without worrying when I have gaiters on. Basically, they allow me to walk faster without worrying about mud, puddles, or rocks.

I use some old OR gaiters that I got for $5 at a gear swap.

I don't use them, but I can see how they'd be useful for keeping sticks & water out when wearing shorter boots. I'd say they're probably not needed if you use tall waterproof boots. If I have to cross a stream I just put on a pair of sandals so my footwear stays dry. I know some mountaineering pants have the gaiters built in.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Gaiters

I use them a lot. As has been said already they keep dirt, rocks, mud,leaves, twigs, etc. out of your boots, keep you socks cleaner therefore preventing blisters, They also keep your laces from getting shredded. Kind of a bum deal if you didn't bring extra laces or parachute cord. They keep your pants from riding up and protect your shins and ankles from scratches when walking through miles of alders, scrub birch, and scrub willow. Also devils club.

If I am above the vegetation line (except "sheep weed") and it is HOT, I take off the gaiters and roll my pant legs up. THat is the only situation that I do not wear them.

Well worth the 13 oz. or so to me.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I don't use them, but I can see how they'd be useful for keeping sticks & water out when wearing shorter boots. I'd say they're probably not needed if you use tall waterproof boots. If I have to cross a stream I just put on a pair of sandals so my footwear stays dry. I know some mountaineering pants have the gaiters built in.
    I can't imagine crossing a stream with a 100+ lb pack with sandals on. I hear of guys who do it or of guys going barefoot but not me. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. With good boots and gators you can do the knee deep stuff swiftly, not get soaked and have boots on your feet. Hip deep water crossings would of course be a different situation and a different thread.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again