Thread: Stole a Ruger Bisquero .44.....

Default Stole a Ruger Bisquero .44.....

Picked up one of the 1997 production (according to Ruger S/N sheet) Ruger Bisley-Vaquero's. .44 Mag. Fixed sights, 6.5 inch barrel. Previous (chowderhead) owner took the original finish down, then tried to cold blue over everything, including what little of the case-colors were left, apparently trying to 'age' the thing to be cool in the cowboy shooting thing...
    Now I'm facing a sort of dilemna...I picked the thing up for dirt cheap, and could afford to have the thing refinished, but wondering if I should, or just use the heck out of it and leave it as-is. Can't afford Bowen or Turnbull, so I'm pretty much thinking a trip back to Ruger, or finish the polish and trust one of the locals to drop it in the tank for me....if it gets used, I'm thinking cast bullet .44 mag loads around 1100 or so in deference to the round frame. Opinions?

Default Stolen

Thanks for finding my stolen Ruger. I'll send you my address for a prompt return and then I'll issue the reward of $5.00.

Thanks again for the recovery.

kingfisherktn

ps. I'll pay for the shipping.

Couple thoughts,....

IF you can find someone that will do it, you can have it blued without polishing, so long as the imitation color case finish doesnt cause problems. It will save time and money. Many will say a gun HAS to be polished to blue,....not true. I've seen a gunsmith work on a particular area, leaving the rest of the gun untouched, and blue it, you can't tell in any way. You can drop it in and it will even out and blue fine, so long as the polish grade is even between the touched and untouched areas. I've seen it done and talked an old time gunsmith into it, he said it wouldnt work, but afterwards said he was surprised, it worked fine. This gun may be a candidate for a bead blast finish, if you like that sort of thing (it doesnt appeal to all of us)

Sending it to Ruger may be an economical way to blue it, other than shipping.

"if it gets used, I'm thinking cast bullet .44 mag loads around 1100 or so in deference to the round frame. Opinions? "

Are you concerned that the fixed sight frame is weaker than the adjustable sight guns? They aren't any weaker, at least in any practical way. The cylinder is always the weak link. If the frame ever goes, the cylinder went first. The bolt stop notch on 6 shot guns is the main weak link. You can use the same loads in your gun as any other Ruger SA.

Default Thanks!

I emailed Ruger and their reply was that they'd like to evaluate the gun before giving a hard number, BUT, if there were no major issues with condition (there aren't) they'd re-do the colors on the frame, blue the grip frame, barrel, and the rest of the parts for $130, $50 labor and $30 return shipping. I can't get anyone 'round here to bead blast it and drop it in the tank for that. After I got 'er cleaned up, all the rollmarks still have raised edges, all the corners are sharp, and no scratches or abrasions anywhere on it, the flats are flat, and the curves are still curvy.
    This thing is heavy enough that it makes me think the 8 1/2 inch Model 29 Smith is a lightweight! I want to fool around with it a bit before deciding on a load. If I get lucky, I'll find a few loads that work out with the fixed sights.
    I originally thought about pulling the Bisley parts off, and swapping them onto my 5" barreled .45 Colt Blackhawk, and putting the plowhandles onto the Vaquero. I believe I'll re-think that one for awhile!
    Again, Thanks, and, oh, ..... FINDER'S KEEPERS, NEENER, NEENER, NEENER!!!!!!!

I'm glad you're sending it to Ruger. This might sound odd, but the Bisley Vaqueros will be collectible one day and having the factory reblue it won't lower it's value like having a gunsmith blue it. No matter how good a gunsmith they might be.

Default Here it is "Before"...

Might take a while before I can post "after" shots, boxing it up and shipping out today...recent other find is the 4" Model 57 S&W .41 that I picked up with 9 boxes of ammo, shoulder holster and case for 'really reasonable'....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1211550094

Default Update...

Sent the Bisquero off to Ruger yesterday. So why am I already getting antsy about seeing this thing finished up? The thing has really grown on me.
    Took it out last weekend for a bit. REALLY like the thing with some cast bullet .44 Special loads I wanted to burn up. Didn't take any .44 mags with me, but wished I had, as I wanted to feel how the Bisley grips do with recoil of the hotter loads.
    Later.....

Default Got 'er Back today!

Got the Bisquero back in a nice overnight air package from SR&Co. NICE JOB! Much better than anything I'd have got locally, and a heckuva lot cheaper than the big buck guys. Even came in a nice new box and all the paperwork that would accompany a new piece.
    Did I mention that I'm really pleased with the job? $160 total, to boot! A heckuva lot better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!!!! Compare to the photo above in the thread.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are truely awesome pistols, thank you for shareing the story.