Thread: west coast commercial salmon

Default west coast commercial salmon

with the close of west coast salmon fishing do you not think that the commercial guys are going to come up to try to take salmon from alaska?
    i know that because of the close of the salmon fisheries that we may have a few more people coming to alaska to fish which is great, but what about the out of state commercial coats coming up here to harvest alaska salmon? just wanted to here other thoughts. or am i just thinking far to much. i know that euporean boats have harvested in alaskan waters and i know that some of them have had there hand slapped but whats to save our fishing here from doing what is happening in the lower 48. already they are talking halibut in SE alaska to 1 fish. what i worry is that with 1 fish people are doing to be taking the breeders out and then halibut all over will be 1 or no fish. am i just worring over nothing? give me you opinions. jeff

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    with the close of west coast salmon fishing do you not think that the commercial guys are going to come up to try to take salmon from alaska?
    i know that because of the close of the salmon fisheries that we may have a few more people coming to alaska to fish which is great, but what about the out of state commercial coats coming up here to harvest alaska salmon? just wanted to here other thoughts. or am i just thinking far to much. i know that euporean boats have harvested in alaskan waters and i know that some of them have had there hand slapped but whats to save our fishing here from doing what is happening in the lower 48. already they are talking halibut in SE alaska to 1 fish. what i worry is that with 1 fish people are doing to be taking the breeders out and then halibut all over will be 1 or no fish. am i just worring over nothing? give me you opinions. jeff
    Jeff,
    All the salmon fisheries here in Alaska are limited entry, that means you need a permit to fish commercialy for salmon so fishermen from other states just can't come up here and go to work. They need to buy into the fishery and there are only a limited number of permits in each fishery.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

hey pot builder, thanks for your reply, do you rember a few years ago the boat that was stoped by i believe coast guard? they held it for awhile. then returned the boat? why is that? if they knowingly come in and steal something do like in the middle east take a appendage to remind them seize the boat and auction it off money goes to repaying the rape of our recourses.i expect this to increase this year. wait and see.russia has planes in our airspace, we will have alot of boats along our shores.jeff