Thread: Chitina Dipnet opening....?

Question Chitina Dipnet opening....?

OK so with all of the hullabaloo about redrawing the boundry lines near Chitina, it seems that dipnetting the copper river is getting harder and harder every year. I called the Chitina dipnett hotline to try to straighten out my confusion but now i am completey lost. The recording said the tentative opening for the 2008 Copper River personal use dipnet fishing season is June 4-8, and will open for x amount of hours. The recording makes it sound like the season will only open for a few days. Is this right? Is it like this every year? I'm sure i'm way overboard on this issue but i'm just looking for a straight answer. Also the native land use permits?? Where can you get them? Do you absolutely need them to get back to the good areas between Obrien and Haley creeks? HELP???

Default Chitina Dipnet Opening

Season openers are always short at the beginning of June often only 24 hrs.the first couple openings. Over 80% of the land between O'brien Cr. and Haley Cr. Is okay to access the river without a native land permit because the 300ft. state easement (150 on the river side) abuts the ordinary high water mark of the Copper River. All land below the ordinary high water mark is state owned. Check out your dipnet handout you will get with your permit. It has a map of the trail between the two creeks and mileposts that match the mile markers along the trail. If I remember right it also shows the areas where a permit would be required.

Default Thanks handy...

Just wanted to say thanks. It seems like the good ol days of just going fishing are over. Now everything is an order or a fish count. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    OK so with all of the hullabaloo about redrawing the boundry lines near Chitina,
    Do you have any info on this? I haven't heard of any changes to the PU fishery at chitna. Just curious , thanks.

cant wait for all them tastey fish!!!
    Semper Fi!

Default Eo 3-rs-01-08

Copper River (Chitina) opening has moved to Thursday, June 5th at 7:59 PM. As volatile as the fish counts at Miles Lake can be, keep your eyes peeled for more EO's.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default more on Chitina

Two other things to remember...

1.) No one has EVER flown sockeye fresh from the Kenai or Kasilof rivers to Seattle restaurants. These are the best fish in the world!

2.) With 25,000 to 30,000 going through the counter now, the next emergency order should be to give us 40 fish instead of 30! I'd rather have them a week late that "not coming."

Default how true

I'd rather have them a week late that "not coming."

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Anticipating this season opener!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thumbs up Season opener

Giggity Giggity G G Goo

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/LOVEYC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Somebody pulled this thread from the depths.....

Looking forward to another go at the Copper. Did exceptionally well last year with a limit for my son and I in about 2 1/2 hours. And it was sunny and hot (we beat the river flooding from the heat)! Not bad for a first try at this fishery.

I want my king this year, though. We got 5 that we had to turn loose, which is not easy to do on rocks, without hurting the fish, and without tearing the crap out of your net.

Default 2010 Copper Opening Thursday, June 3rd 6am