Thread: Halibut in The Middle of Resurrection Bay?

Default Halibut in The Middle of Resurrection Bay?

Anybody ever fish for halibut on the seamount right in the middle of Resurrection Bay about 2 miles East of Tonsina Point? The chart shows it going very shallow relative to the rest of the Bay with much deeper water all around for quite a distance. Other than the constant onslaught of boat wakes it looks like a good place to try?

Kenai Peninsula, Ak.

Default fishing spot

I've tried this spot 4 times in the past. Three of the four the wind came up so fast I couldn't stay on the fishing grounds for very long. Couldn't make the kind of strategic drifts one would like. (It was really strange winds, like a curse.) The fourth try I managed to make a couple drifts across it.... pretty good drifts. No bites though.
    I do have a buddy that fishes it every spring, this time of year, and brings in 40 pounders.
    I can tell u that it rises to about 85 feet there according to my finder and is only about 3 city blocks big before dropping to 200 to +300 feet. With the bizarre winds that seemed to mysteriously come up every time I tried to fish it. A couple times it was almost dead calm and I had left some great rockfishing spots to try it there. No sooner did i find the spot when the wind would come up. Every time. Another spot to try is just off the front of Tonsina's gravel apron.
    good luck...................Cod

Many years ago we fished it late April and got a 138 lber there. We were anchored on it and had 12 lines in the water - only fish caught there, but it was a nice one.

It`s right in the middle of the traffic pattern so beware the charters blowing right by you...they rarely make room for small craft.

The Narrows near the Cape are a far better bet - at least in my experience.

If it were that good I would have killed every halibut on it a long time ago...It does look exactly like what a great halibut structure should look like but it has not been very productive for many years.

head out a little farther...

Good luck!