Thread: back from shrimping

Default back from shrimping

First, I have to thank you all for all the info I've found on this site. I wanted to give a try to shrimping without knowing a thing about it. The shrimping posts gave me the info I needed to get started. I went out last weekend and dropped my pot for the first time. I soaked my pot for 2 hrs to see if I could get some for dinner. My hopes were very low, being the first time, but I got 17! That was a real treat.

Here's my question: I pulled my pots, drifted a bit - to about 70 feet deeper - and dropped the pots back down. I came back the next morning and was hoping to fill my bucket. All I got was a big 5! Was the additional 70 feet enough to make that much of a difference, or did somebody get some free shrimp?

Thanks

My info is from Shrimping in B.C. so I dont know if its the same for you.

I found that I had more shrimp in the pot after 2-3 hours than I did for overnight soaks.

I found out that i didnt have the best shrimping pot, even though I paid $100 for it when the others were only 30-60. When my pot was out of bait or smell, the shrimp were able to leave. Im sure it wasnt 'easy' to get out, but if they have 10-12 hours to get out, some of them will figure it out.

Also, this is only me guessing here, so I might be completely off...but maybe they get full? If they eat enough, maybe they leave...Im probably wrong though.

Anyways, that was the situation for me.

Although there are areas that produce consistently, it can also be a total crapshoot. Even 70 feet away can make a significant difference. We'll catch 400 shrimp on one soak, move a few hundred yards, and then come up with 40. The shrimp live in certain rock piles and such, and if you get away from that structure you won't find much in the way of shrimp. So yes, a small move can produce a large difference.

As for the soak time, we've done really well on 2 hour soaks, on overnight soaks, and on 2-3 week soaks. (Yes, there was a time when you could leave your pots out in PWS for weeks and nobody would bother them.) Some shrimp may leave over time, and your chances of an octopus coming and feasting on your catch goes up, but I don't think too much time is much of a significant problem.