Thread: Federal 215 versus 215M ???

Default Federal 215 versus 215M ???

Both primers are made by federal and both are large rifle magnum primers. Can someone tell me what makes the 215M so special.

Is the 215M actually a better product?

Will the 215M yield a higher / lower pressure?

My guess is since it's billed as match primer it may be made to higher standards for more precise pressure control on competition loads. Any experts out there please chime in so I can get some sleep...
    Last edited by marshall; 05-19-2008 at 21:37. Reason: typo

I tested both on the same day with the same loads in a 300 RUM. I found that the average velocity between them was very close. The 215M did have less extreme spread and a lower standard deviation showing the POTENTIAL to be more accurate. One would most likely need a very accurate rifle to tell the difference.
    Of course this only applies to the 2 lots of primers I have.

Thanks, I'm getting ready to load up some R375 next weekend and my loads call for CCI 250 or Fed 215. I was only able to find the 215M's today so I passed on the buy.

I heard somewhere that they are the same primers but if the lot comes out exceptionally uniform Federal will put the match moniker on them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

They are the same Except-215M is a match grade primer-a little more consistant