Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starter plane

Default starter plane

I am looking at something to get started in. Considering : fuel cost, some off runway use, visibility, tail wheel, and initial purchase price. The planes I have been looking at are - Champ, Taylorcraft, Aeronica Sedan, Citabria, and Stinson. I think my ideal plane would be a souped up 170. I live in Cantwell, so a lot of playing in the mountains. We have about 2000 feet strip. I was kind of thinking if I crash at 40 mph, I might have better chances than at 70 mph. I have my private, but only about 70 hours.Any advice appreciated.

Default 1st plane

My first plane is an Aeronca Champ that I restored over a 2 year period. I now have about 40 hours on the plane and just love it. If you check Craigs list you will find a few for sale for reasonable prices.

Mac

You might look at 140's, too. They are cheap, and fun. I just bought one with an O-235 and I'm having a blast with it.

Not to hijack this thread...but how about a Tri-Pacer? I've been looking at those lately for a time builder? T-crate? or J-3 Cub? Champ? Those are my 4 picks.
    Johnny

Tripacers (or for that matter just a Pacer) are great starter planes, as are 120/140's. My Cessna 170 is my first plane but you are starting talk about real money at that point, high thirties at least (anything cheaper is going to be a dog.) Thinking about selling mine, not going to take a penny less than $42K though

Default plane

ok, check this place out

http://www.aeroalaska.com/default.asp

lots of nice planes there. what are ya going to do with this plane. hunt and fish with it? or just go fly around and have some fun ,lightly loaded?

I would recommend the citabria on there.
    just my 2 cents

I am taking the slow approach. I would love to fly it around to fish/hunt...but i would obviously need to build some hours. I'm a little on the conservative side. After a couple of hundred hours of just flying around and playing/sightseeing, then maybe move to a more off-field plane. I think alot of new pilots get their license and expect to start landing on gravel bars at 50 hours. Some people may be able to pull that off, but I don't think I'd risk it.
    I've heard some say that a Tri-pacer and a Champ will do fine with off-field landings. Is that correct?

Champ? Definitely, esp. if you can get one if the O-290-powered models.

Excuse me for saying this if you or the OP already know, but "tripacer" is a PA-22 with a nosewheel landing gear. You can also get the PA-20 Pacer which is a tailwheel airplane with it's additional flexibility (like skis) though usually with smaller engines. If you see something advertised as a PA-22/20 it is a PA-22 tripacer converted to a taildragger.

Horsepower is nice, pilot skill and less weight is often better.

Default recommend

The tri pacer on aeroalaska has been there a while and looks to be a great deal already. It'll teach you to be conservative. Which in turn will teach you to fly right when you get that 180hp cub one day. Your first 300hrs should come in a dog of some sorts so you can really learn to fly instead of adding power to every problem. You'll learn to be a pilot and not a driver. Stopping here before I rant......

Not sure if this is still on the market or not...

Aeronca Champ for sale - $28,000 1948 Aeronca Champ Serial Number 48-50, 7 C90-12F 716 SMOH, 2400TT. On 26" Goodyear's with an extra set of 8.50 with wheels, Scott 3200 tail wheel, 1500 wide bottom Federal skis and tail ski, Complete set of Kennon covers including engine and windshield, Very good performer at 4.5 gallons an hour, Currently no electric but will accept a starter and wings are wired for navigation lights, Dual 5.5 gallon wing tanks for a total of 24 gallons, External antenna for hand held radio, This airplane is in excellent condition and always in annual, Call for more details 907-252-7408 Posted 04/24/08

Default Champ

At 6 feet tall, 230 pounds, my old champ was a great plane. It had a C-90 with a 73-43 prop and 26" tires. Great plane with lots of room, and burned about 4 gallons an hour. Cheap to operate, just know a very in depth prepurchase inspection is the most important thing to do when you purchase a plane.

Terry

Default Tri-Pacer

I currently own 2294A the Blue and white Tri-Pacer for sale on aeroalaska.com, it has been a great plane, and is an excellent performer, It actually out performs my buddy's PA-11 when its not loaded down too much. And as long as you land soft and keep that nose up for a bit its a very capable off airport plane. Would love to take it with me for the next 15 months but not sure how the fabric would hold up to Heavy machine gun fire, Plus im sure the performance would be slightly degraded with a 115 degree ambient temperature......

If any one wants any info on mine let me know.

Even a little 90 horse PA-11 or converted J-3C can be a real hoot. Plus they only burn 4 gallons per hour..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

There is a T-craft for sale on supercub.org

Default starter ?

I really dont see anyway you can do better than a Lil. plain jane champ ...

it will teach you so much and kepp you safe and sane. Get you in places
    that will amaze you as well.

and do it all on a budget !

Depends on a million things.........

For the mission you have described a 170 would work. 2000ft is enough if you go with a 2 place you can never get more than two in there.. If you go light 170's perform OK. But you can get four people in them too (if they aren't overweight) but that is true of just about all planes. If you want to use it for getting in and out of the tight hunting spot then get a PA-18. Do you want floats and skies? How much instrumentation do you want? How much do you have to spend? Do you want to be able to use car gas? Lots of questions.......................

Oh and as far as crashing at a slower speed well...... I would advise just don't crash...
    Tim

Default Pa 22-20

I have a PA22-20 for sale,2600tt, 400smoh o-290-135hp new gyros and good radio, 4pl intercom, new tires,new glass,fun airplane. $28,000.00

Default Just started

my lessons and getting close to Solo time. I too am considering a starter plane and have heard a Champ or Pacer would be good choices. Im 6-6 and 225lbs, since Ive never been in one, would those two work for someone of my size?

Im 6'4" 210lbs, and my Champ is perfect for my size. Its surprisingly roomy inside, and easy to get in and out of.

The only drawback is that the legal load goes pretty quick when you fill the tanks. Good luck !

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

Default big boy and pacer

I'm 6'3, and a pacer is very tight for me. I fit much better in a 150/150 and it flies great!
    I'm looking for a 180+ hp 170 or a cheap 180. Grew up flying 180's so i really like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast