Thread: Okuma Catalina Line Counter Reels

Default Okuma Catalina Line Counter Reels

Anyone have experience with these reels? Which model would you use for King Trolling? I am leaning toward the CT-25D or teh CT-30D. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

They make a pretty fair spinning reel but I would pass on the conventionals. Maybe they have improved them since a few years ago.

Default recomendations

Thanks for the advice, any suggestions on a different brand?

Reviving this old thread.

Has anybody used these Okuma Catalina's for any fishing? On Cabela's there are some really good reviews. Just wondering is anyone has any info or personal experience with them.

thanks

I have both the Catalina's and the Convectors. Side by side, using the 20d's, the Convector out preformed the catalina by a wide margin, even if the Convector is a lessor reel. I found that the drag on the convector was far better. They both have the Rudiman drags, but I think it has something to do with the machining of the gears. For the money, I think the Convector is a great buy. A step up is the Shimano Tecota, a bit on the pricey side but is by far one of the smoothest reels I have ran. Our sales are 4-1 on the Convectors over the Catalina, neck and neck on the Teckota with the Convector.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    I have both the Catalina's and the Convectors. Side by side, using the 20d's, the Convector out preformed the catalina by a wide margin, even if the Convector is a lessor reel. I found that the drag on the convector was far better. They both have the Rudiman drags, but I think it has something to do with the machining of the gears. For the money, I think the Convector is a great buy. A step up is the Shimano Tecota, a bit on the pricey side but is by far one of the smoothest reels I have ran. Our sales are 4-1 on the Convectors over the Catalina, neck and neck on the Teckota with the Convector.

Hope this helps.

Mark
    Really, so you preferred the converctors huh... I had nothing else to base it on other than reviews on Cabela's and I have no idea what these guys were fishing for. Do you use yours for halibut? Thanks

Default Okuma Catalina 25D

I just came back from a 2 1/2 week vacation and I fished the Okuma line counter 25D and it was great. Great hook sets and really good power on the halibut. In the past I used a Penn 320 and Shimano Calcutta. Impressed with the power.

Default I have five

I have 2 convectors and 3 catalinas, the convectors 25's have held up better so far. I had to get the two 25 catalinas fixed so they didn't slip when you set a hook. The larger catalina 30 reel has been flawless on lings and halibut. I use the smaller ones for mooching , trolling, jigging for rockfish. They are good reels for the money.