Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Float hunt Brooks Range

  1. #1

    Default Float hunt Brooks Range

    Anyone ever been dropped off and floated down the Anaktuvuk river? I guess you fly in the boat, inflate it, and pack light? Where would you get picked up?

  2. #2

    Default Try arrowhead outfitters

    He does some air taxiing up that way. It should come up if you google it. hes in wasilla

  3. #3
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    There is a controlled use area for the entire Anaktuvik R. drainage for bou hunting. You would have to float down to the Colville somewhere I think.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Anyone ever been dropped off and floated down the Anaktuvuk river? I guess you fly in the boat, inflate it, and pack light? Where would you get picked up?
    Like martentrapper said. No hunting along the entire length of the anaktuvuk river and both sides of the anaktuvuk valley. It's open at the confluence of the colville river and north. Nuiqsut on the colville would be a logical haulout. Over half the trip would be in the closed area. The river starts from a little lake a mile north of the airstrip in anaktuvuk pass. You would have to get your raft and gear maybe 10 miles downstream before there's enough water to raft. You won't see many smiling faces or helping hands if you land there in august or september looking to raft hunt north of the pass. The reason it's a controlled use area is to stop hunters from scaring the boo from migrating thru the anaktuvuk valley in fall time. All it takes is one guy blasting away north of the pass to scare the lead boo away, and therefore the whole heard, from that mountain pass.

  5. #5
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    It is NOT a "no hunting" zone along the river. It is a no flying zone. But you can still fly into the village on a scheduled flight from Fbks. The 10 mile pack to get your stuff to floatable water would, I think, pretty much cancel out the practicalability of your idea.
    The reason for the CUA is, as dws says, to prevent non local hunters from shooting up the country and deterring the bou. However, I would be very skeptical that ONE hunter could deter all the caribou for the entire migration season, from entering the valley. The CUA is in effect from Aug. 15 to Oct. 15.
    I would be scouting other possibilities besides that river.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    It is NOT a "no hunting" zone along the river. It is a no flying zone. But you can still fly into the village on a scheduled flight from Fbks. The 10 mile pack to get your stuff to floatable water would, I think, pretty much cancel out the practicalability of your idea.
    The reason for the CUA is, as dws says, to prevent non local hunters from shooting up the country and deterring the bou. However, I would be very skeptical that ONE hunter could deter all the caribou for the entire migration season, from entering the valley. The CUA is in effect from Aug. 15 to Oct. 15.
    I would be scouting other possibilities besides that river.
    Pretty much no hunting if you CAN'T land an aircraft anywhere in the area to hunt boo right. The only publicly owned airport you are allowed to land at is anaktuvuk Pass. You can't land a float plane in the controlled use area. You could powerboat up the Anaktuvuk River from the Colville and pass all the easy boo on the Colville You could do a hundred mile hike from the haulroad.
    You saying ONE hunter couldn't deter the boo migration thru anaktuvuk Pass is only your uninformed opinion
    Before the area was made a controlled use area and before any whitehunters landed planes at the north entrance to the pass it was controlled by local Taboo laws. Single native hunters HAVE altered the migration route which is why the Taboos existed.
    If the small lead group is allowed to lay down their scent on the trail thru the pass the rest will follow no matter how dangerous it gets. If they are spooked into a different route the rest will follow. This has happened in their history, they also were the past masters at routing boo to go where they wanted them too. Anyway I think I'll believe the observations of the caribou people over hundreds of years as opposed to your opinion on whether one hunter can alter a boo migration path thru the mountains.

    A couple of strategically placed rock carins can change a boo route.

  7. #7

    Default

    Ok, maybe I'll look somewhere else, thanks though.

    How do people hunt moose in the DM992 permit area then, that covers the Colville and the Anaktuvuk except for the CUA?

  8. #8

    Default

    I didn't see a DM992 on the hunt supplement, you sure you didn't mean DM981? The best way to access that area would be to fly to Umiat and float down to the Anatuvak but getting upstream would be a problem unless you had a motor to go on that raft. Not sure how shallow the Anatuvak is as I have never floated that river before.

  9. #9

    Default

    Maybe it is 981?

    Floating might not be the best option then, maybe a drop camp somewhere?

  10. #10

    Default

    Have you ever thought of floating a different river drainage? There are a million different places you could float hunt for moose.

  11. #11
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    before any whitehunters landed planes at the north entrance to the pass
    OK, thanks for bringing race into the discussion. Always makes the picture clearer when we can blame a certain race of people.

    The CUA only applies to caribou hunting. If you have a moose draw for the area, you can go in and out by plane.

    I'd say 45 is giving you good advice. Try another drainage.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  12. #12

    Default

    That's probably the thing to do, packing out a moose is hard, packing a moose and a raft, well that's another thing altogether. Thanks for the help.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    OK, thanks for bringing race into the discussion. Always makes the picture clearer when we can blame a certain race of people.
    It is what it is. Sugar coating it hides the truth. It's EXACTLY the reason that area was closed off. I don't agree with it but I sure know what happened, it wasn't little green men in flying saucers.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Maybe it is 981?

    Floating might not be the best option then, maybe a drop camp somewhere?
    Umiat is an excellent moose area, there in the Colville willows... But you're talking real hard walking and packing on the nastiest muskeg you'll ever see

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    That's probably the thing to do, packing out a moose is hard, packing a moose and a raft, well that's another thing altogether. Thanks for the help.
    Stick with the float hunt idea and I'd look east of the Dalton or even down towards Tok. Lots of places to find a big bull moose. You can hunt from the raft and not stray to far from the river corridors, you'll find moose with a little work or some calling. No need to go that far north to look for a moose, now if you were looking for a caribou that's a different story.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •