Thread: Canned Salmon Recipes?

Default Canned Salmon Recipes?

Each summer we always can quite a bit of salmon to last throughout the year, the trouble is that we have run out of ideas for meals made with canned salmon.

Ideas anyone?? What is your favorite recipe?!

Default As in....

.... Store-bought canned salmon? Or the subsistence-born nightmares that accompany memories of years' past, inundated with battery after seemingly-never-ending-battery of tens, if not hundreds, of jars of pressure-cooked fish, finding its way into recipes ranging from salmon loaf, salmon and noodle casserole with cheese, salmon salad, salmon omlettes, salmon dip, salmon chowder, salmon bisque, salmon cakes, salmon and mushroooms in cream sauce, over egg noodles, etc. ad infinitum, and, eventually, ad nauseum....

Sorry, that was a traumatic moment.. err, memory. (Just kidding, though remembering times that seemed like there was ONLY salmon for dinner doesn't often incite a strong appetite..)

If the canned salmon was home-canned after being kippered, then I recommend either eating it plain, or placing on top of a nice home-made pizza, especially one made with white sauce (not red), some grated provolone and/or jarlsberg blended in with the mozzarella, fresh pressed garlic here and there in the sauce, and spinach (shredded fresh spinach), with sweet onions and mushrooms topping off the salmon flakes/chunks. Some moderate to 'zippy' hot peppers scattered in moderation on top and all about the melted, just-turning-golden-brown-in-spots cheese goes well with this too. You can also add a smattering of sun-dried tomatoes to this as well.

*(Use a good home-made, yeast crust to make this a better 'pie.' For the 'white sauce,' use a standard white sauce recipe, with salt, butter, garlic and basil added in moderation to an olive oil and flour base in the skillet, adding milk of your choosing until thickened to desired consistency, allowing it to cool, before spreading evenly and thinly on the raw pizza dough crusts.

Or take the crumbled kippered salmon (works with plain old canned salmon, too), mix with an 8oz. package or two of cream cheese (depending on the amount of salmon, of course), throw in a small amount of sour cream, add some spicy mustard to taste, a touch of real mayonaise, a splash of worchestershire sauce, a dash or two of hot pepper sauce, a couple of teaspoons or so of finely diced or pressed garlic, and 2-3 tablespoons of finely chopped or shredded sweet onion. Eat on slices of french bread or good crackers. **On the bread you can dress it up with some romaine or other nutritional lettuce.

(I don't often measure ingredients when I cook some of the things that we've 'just made' for many years, so more often than not, the measurements that I'm referring to are approximations, based on sheer memory's imagery. Adjust any recipes to 'taste' accordingly.)

ruffle

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Each summer we always can quite a bit of salmon to last throughout the year, the trouble is that we have run out of ideas for meals made with canned salmon.

Ideas anyone?? What is your favorite recipe?!
    Ate a lot of fried salmon patties as a kid. Sometimes they were plain, other times we add things too them like you would a hamburger. Another idea is salmon meatloaf. Watch the cook times -- it dries out fast. I suppose you could also make salmon hot dogs or sausage too.