Thread: Sako AV Mannlicher?

Default Sako AV Mannlicher?

Does anyone know the what the Sako AV action is? If so, is it as good as the 75? Pro's and cons is of interest to me. Thanks.

Default Sako action

I had a Sako Carbine full stock in 375 H & H that I had rechambered to 375 Wby. It was on the AV action and handled the loads well. The barrel was 20". The action is a push feed although it looks like it is a CRF with the guide on the side of the bolt. A lot of custom rifles were built on this action. Never checked out a 75, but I know some of the other guys here have. Hope that helps.

Default It all started in Riihimaki, Finland....

I've owned a lot of them, the A-V Sako, and the A-IV's, the A-III's, the A-II's and the A-I's.

A brief history of them might help.

The A series of Sako actions were two lug bolts, similar to Mausers. The had very smooth push feed loading and mechanical ejection, excellent triggers and positive safeties. The barrels were all cold hammer forged and very smooth and uniform. They have always given me better than MOA accuracy.

The A-I is sized for the 222 rem, 223, etc family of cartridges.
    The A-II is sized for the 308 family, the A-III was a stretched version of the very trim A-II and was for the 30-06 family. The A-V was for the same length as the A-II, but was a heavier, stronger action and was used for 30-06 and belted magnums from 1884 till 1990. In 1991 Sako redesigned these actions with an easier bedding, seperate recoil lug these were called the 491, 591, 691, shortest to longest. The A-IV was reserved the very nice, upgraded Safari model made in 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H, 416 RM and 458 WM. The A series was made from 1980 til 1990.

The 691 series was made until 1995 when Sako introduced the three lug model 75, so named for the seventy fifth year of the company. That was made for 10 years until the model 85, 85th year, was made. The model 75 has a very smooth three lug bolt and outwardly looks very much like the A series and all else functions the same. The M85 has the bolt face modified to make it a controlled round feed action.
    The sizes of the M75/85 are similar with a I, for the 223, a M75-II for the PPC's, a M75-III for the 308, a IV for the 30-06 and such and the M75-V for belted magnums.

All have the Sako intergral tapered dovetail scope mount which uses many companies bases or ring/mounts for scope mounting. The scope system is very solid and strong. They are still very high quality and very accurate rifles. They've become quite ugly with the synthetic stocks and shiney metal but I guess some like that.

I have a record book of all the Sako rifles I've owned with serial numbers and notes about all that I have shot (certainly most). I have owned 331 of them since 1972. I have owned guns as old as the L-46 in 7X33, made in 1946, to the 1956 FN actioned 8X60, to the 1968 Mannlicher stocked 6.5X55 L-61, to the 1981 model A-IV 375 H&H, to the 1983 Battue's and the 1985 version TRG-21. Up to the latest Finnlight M-75 300 WSM.

I have been accused of being a collector, nothing could be further from the truth....I only kept a few of those beautiful rifles. What was it you wanted to know again?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile

Thank you, so much.

Murphy, 331 Sakos! You lifted any guilt I ever had about buying a rifle that I technically didn't need. I love rifles!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Thank you, so much.

Murphy, 331 Sakos! You lifted any guilt I ever had about buying a rifle that I technically didn't need. I love rifles!

That was in a span of about 36 years! If you do the math on that it was pretty much one a month. I was on the one-gun-a-month program. Actually I bought out a couple of collections when I was a dealer (about 20 years) that helped boost my numbers. If it helps, I didn't shoot all of them, only about 285.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Wow Murphy, 331 Sako's... would that be like havign 331 wives? Personally, I could only handle one On second thought, maybe I could handle more than one Sako

Maybe a little off topic, but I always wondered how those Mannlicher style stocks affect accuracy as far placing different pressures on barrels under different environmental conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Wow Murphy, 331 Sako's... would that be like havign 331 wives? Personally, I could only handle one On second thought, maybe I could handle more than one Sako

Maybe a little off topic, but I always wondered how those Mannlicher style stocks affect accuracy as far placing different pressures on barrels under different environmental conditions?
    Sako's mannlicher stocks are two pieces with a little blue steel ring between the to pieces to lock together and the front tip floats except for a steel nose cone. I have had several of them and can't say any of them suffered accuracy because of the stock. I have had only one 375 and don't remember poor accuracy from it. As with any rifle, the larger calibers guns wood/metal fit is more critical because of recoil. I have known of a couple of 375 Mannlicher stocks and never heard of complaints of accuracy. It makes sense to say the stock will not make it more accurate and there are degres of accuracy. I think the more important thing is the asthetic appeal of the stock with acceptable accuracy. Except for a few Steyr's I've never seen bench rest accuracy from a full stock mid bore rifles. I would think if you're up to the task that they would be a 300 yard hunting rifle.

Murphy, just curious if Sako manufactured any 375 H&Hs in the Battue style, and what actions were used? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Murphy, just curious if Sako manufactured any 375 H&Hs in the Battue style, and what actions were used? Thanks

Definately yes and the one I had was a 19.25" barrel in an A-V action made about 1987. I have had in the Battue, a 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm mag, 338 mag, 375 H&H and a 9.3x62. This is the best of all the carbines/handy rifles. They have made them (these various shorties) with 18 1/2", 19.25" and 20" in just about every caliber. The 308, 338 mag and 375 H&H are very good in the shorter barrel. Typically the Battue is 19.25" but some were in the 18.5". I typically see the 375 shorties with 20" barrels.

I am in the process of buying two A-III's, short tang, deluxe rifles in 30-06 and 300 mag. Nice guns. I don't think folks realize how very good Sako rifles are.

I have a Sako Model 75 Stainless Synthetic in 300 Winchester Mag. I used it a lot after I bought it, mostly caribou hunting, it is a good rifle. I don't usually shoot game over 200 yds but with my Sako I know I can knock them over at 300 yds. My rifle is already looking kinda used up, since I carried it throughout all the seasons and in all kinds of weather conditions. IMO they are good all weather rifles.

Default 338 WM Battue velocity

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Definately yes and the one I had was a 19.25" barrel in an A-V action made about 1987. I have had in the Battue, a 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm mag, 338 mag, 375 H&H and a 9.3x62. This is the best of all the carbines/handy rifles. They have made them (these various shorties) with 18 1/2", 19.25" and 20" in just about every caliber. The 308, 338 mag and 375 H&H are very good in the shorter barrel. Typically the Battue is 19.25" but some were in the 18.5". I typically see the 375 shorties with 20" barrels.

I am in the process of buying two A-III's, short tang, deluxe rifles in 30-06 and 300 mag. Nice guns. I don't think folks realize how very good Sako rifles are.

Very curious. What velocity would you expect, [or have seen(Murphy)], with the 338 WM from an 18.5" barrel? ie: a Sako A-V Battue 338 WM