Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: russian river first timer

Default russian river first timer

we will be up fishing in mid june for seven days charteres and wanted to do some sockeye fishing for the opener on russian river and few days after that. what sort of rod and reel do i need to bring? how heavy a rod how long and how heavy line. also is it better to buy the flies online or wait till i get up there? Spin or baitcast gear better. What size weights do i bring as well. thanks from a newbee to alaska fishing

Wink Ummm....

First, Russian River is single hook flies only. No lures. Of any kind. Best bet is to wait until you are here and buy the flies called (get this) Russian River flies. Buy them somewhere in the local economy, tho wallie world has the lowest price on them.
    Russian River fishing isn't about casting at all...it's about flipping. You will be standing shoulder to shoulder (better you than me, my friend) with about 1000 other people, and it is all about who can keep their fly in the water the longest and the most amount of time. DON'T USE SPIDER WIRE, you may end up getting shot. You will be fishing no further than 5 feet from where you are standing. The current is fast, and the water shallow. You flip your fly upstream, let it float downstream and then flip'er again. Also, get yourself a can of bear spray when you are here. The stuff works (I have had to spray a bear before). When it comes time to leave, if you run in to someone that is also visiting to fish, give it to them (can't take it on the airplanes). Or make a post on here to donate it to someone or even sell it. Heck, I may buy it from you....

I think that's it. Oh, when you take a cooler across on the ferry, it has to be 'of a size and weight' that one person can carry. Oh, and most importantly, please don't fall asleep at the wheel while driving to and fro. Always have lots of coffee. Another sad statistic here is the tourists cramming all this activity in to a short time span, and then hitting the roads for a 4-5 hour drive back to Anchorage, guess the outcome? 99% of the 'highways' here are two lane roads (what are referred to as county roads in the lower 48); and picture about 40,000 vehicles per day (many of which are humongous tour buses and rv's) cruising up and down those 'quaint back roads way out in the country'....
    Hope that helps. Good luck fishing; oh, and learn some German before you get here...will help you while you are on the Russian

Quote Originally Posted by drfish54321 View Post
    we will be up fishing in mid june for seven days charteres and wanted to do some sockeye fishing for the opener on russian river and few days after that. what sort of rod and reel do i need to bring? how heavy a rod how long and how heavy line. also is it better to buy the flies online or wait till i get up there? Spin or baitcast gear better. What size weights do i bring as well. thanks from a newbee to alaska fishing
    I use a fly rod but a medium to a bit heavy rod is good. Spin or baitcaster. I suggest waiting untill you get up here and buy your flies at the Kenai Cache next to gwins. he has the best flies and the best prices. Weights are anything from a medium split shot to a rubber core 3/8's to half ounce. Im guessing about an 8 foot long rod for spinning since i use an 8'6 fly rod. Also when you get to the river if you have never fished it before try this. It will make your trip much more enjoyable. Sit back, open a cold beverage and watch. Watch for about 30 minutes. If your sitting behind people catching fish watch thier drift and how the twitch at the end of the drift. Also see how the get the fish in. usually run it up the bank. I know when i have people sitting behind me asking questions and being patient I appreciate it and usually end up fishing with them. I know after a while we all need a break and it is good to get a rotation of people in and out. just my thoughts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

why no spider wire? Sorry but i know nothing about Alaska but want to learn all i can! Thanks Guys!

Pain in the butt to untangle. When you're fishing with in a combat situation getting tangled up with others is a given. Mono is much easier to get untangled.

Default Spider wire

It is just a pain. Wont break, snags, hurts,just go with a nice heavy mono 25lb range and you will be fine. If in doubt do 30lb. Spider wire should not be allowed on the russain in my opinion
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-19-2008 at 20:53. Reason: Language
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Makes good sense as spiderwire is a royal PITA to untangle!

OH MAN!!!

I just put 40lb braid on my smaller reel...ugly braid...

What would you guys do? Buy another small reel? Change the line?

Man that bites...

I wanted to use it for Kings on ships creek. Is it ok for that?

Do not cross using the Russian River Ferry if you want to have a semi-peaceful fishing experience. It is a flat out falsehood that you need to fish with 1,000 of your closest friends at the Russian River - only if you choose to fish at the confluence of the Russian and Kenai. Instead, park at the Russian River Campground and walk down to the river. Instead of blindly casting at the confluence of clear and murky glacial water, you'll be fishing in crystal clear water where you can sight cast (or "flip") to reds. There will still be people, but you can spread out with more room and have a more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Do not cross using the Russian River Ferry if you want to have a semi-peaceful fishing experience. It is a flat out falsehood that you need to fish with 1,000 of your closest friends at the Russian River - only if you choose to fish at the confluence of the Russian and Kenai. Instead, park at the Russian River Campground and walk down to the river. Instead of blindly casting at the confluence of clear and murky glacial water, you'll be fishing in crystal clear water where you can sight cast (or "flip") to reds. There will still be people, but you can spread out with more room and have a more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Maybe I have the wrong kind of glasses, but I always have the hardest time "sight casting" or for that matter, even seeing, reds in that water. Until, of course, they're, well, red

Jon

Jon - Are you referring to the Russian itself, or to the confluence? If the Russian, it's certainly a learned skill to discern them from the rocks. The grayish-blue backs are distinguishable, though. Polarized glasses help a bit, but really it just takes practice.

Default Polarized Glasses

Would anyone know if the polarization wears off?I have a pair from last year and it seems the blueish hue they had originally has faded.

I have not heard of the polorization wearing off but there the quality like everything else matters. I have a pair I bought for 25 dollars and I can see them alright. My brother has a pair called Mui Jimms and wearing them is like being under water. He also paid about $200 for them. The Choice is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    Would anyone know if the polarization wears off?I have a pair from last year and it seems the blueish hue they had originally has faded.

The polarization will not wear off. The polarization filter is usually sandwiched between the 2 layers of plastic/glass that make up the lens'.

I agree with BM, stay away from the ferry. Hoards of people will be there. To get semi peace fishing stick to the Russian. I don't fish the sanctuary anymore. Also make sure you will some type of eye protections. Every year a couple will end up with a hook in the face. polarized sunglasses will help you spot the fish. Enjoy. Go early and avoid the people . Usually around 8am you will start to see more people on the river after they had there morning coffee.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    The polarization will not wear off. The polarization filter is usually sandwiched between the 2 layers of plastic/glass that make up the lens'.
    Thankyou for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    OH MAN!!!

I just put 40lb braid on my smaller reel...ugly braid...

What would you guys do? Buy another small reel? Change the line?

Man that bites...

I wanted to use it for Kings on ships creek. Is it ok for that?
    DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use braided on ship creek or any other place you might be fishing near other people (russian, kenai, mat-su streams, etc.). The fishing is in very close quarters (read above for the description of flipping), and your line will inevitably become tangled with others'. With two mono lines, it's not so bad to untangle. With mono/braided, it's hopeless. The other fishers will kill you, and you'll waste a LOT of time untangling/cutting line.

Btw, as for line strength, I preferred to go heavy; 40 lb mono w/ 30 lb leader, both for Kings on ship and reds in kenai (most people think this is crazy :-)). Landing a fish in the combat zone is rough; you have very little space and time to fight it before you really start intruding on other people's fishing (remember, while you're fighting, you're cutting off the people next to you from fishing). Ship is particularly tricky because of all the manmade obstacles that can cut your line. Bottom line, I can think of several times that I wished I had stronger line; I can't think of one that I wished I had weaker line.

ditto ditto ditto on avoiding the ferry scene........ unless you just want to go down and enjoy the spectacle

there's a very easy trail (handicap accessible)that takes you all the way from the campground to "the fall"s which has some overlooks where you can look down and see thousands of salmon stacked up and watch them leaping the falls (this area is closed to fishing)

this trail takes off a few hundred yards back towards the entrance from the RV dump station

I can't remember precisely but as I recall it's about an hour walk.........nice wide maintained trail gradual uphill most of the way....... then you have to head downstream a quarter mile or so to where you can legally fish

most days you'll find a dozen or so people trying to fish right on the "legal fishing boundry" but that's not really necessary

if the fish are "in" you'll be able to find an isolated hole or run on your way back downstream to the camping/parking area that has a lot of fish stacked up

the walk back downstream is a little more "rugged" and takes longer

make sure you have a backpack to carry your fish and maybe some ziplocks to filet them to make the load less

Default Right in the thick of it...

If you have not fished this area before, you will certainaly face some logistical problems in just parking your car. Savy planners have figured this one out months ago by reserving space in the Russian River Campground via http://www.reserveamerica.com. If you check spots now for mid-June, you'll find it already booked.

I used to find a parking spot only in the campground by driving in way early in the am, but I do not know if they still permit this. (I was there 5 years ago this summer)

I also used to pay to park for the Russian River Ferry services, but I don't know if that reserved parking area is still going.

Five years is a long time having been in the zone and things change. Since this thread is about the confluence, I would hope that if anyone has more updated information about parking, they would chide in to assist others who have not been there before.

This area is perhaps the most fameous road location fishery in all of Alaska and probably North America. No doubt things have changed somewhat in the surroundings relative to the traffic and parking. Any updates would be appreciated...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Day parking cannot be reserved, only campsites. There are a few large parking lots at the Campground that are first come, first served. You may have to wait in line for a spot for up to an hour, but it's worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast