Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Bush Flying

Default Alaska Bush Flying

Hey All, Just thought I would let everyone know that I suggested to the webmaster that he start a new forum for Bush Flying and /or Aircraft. He already has forums for ATV's, Boats, Snowmachines, etc, etc, and I thought it would be a good idea to have one for our aviation friends as well. He sounded very favorable to the idea so I wanted to pitch it to you the members. Let's all show him that this is a good idea and that we will support a forum like this.
    Adison

P.S.- I love to fly (200+hrs so far) and I'm an A&P/IA currently building an experimental project to further my hunting addiction.

Default Bush flying forum

A bush flying forum would be awesome!

Default Excellent Idea

Sounds like a winner for sure, go for it!! Rick

Default Alaskan flying

I've always thought a flying forum would be informative and appealing too. My aircraft is a C-172 nose dragger - not really a bush plane but I have spent plenty of time flying "over" the bush. I am currently getting ready to ferry back to AK from IL. I do not look forward to the fuel bill but it will probably work out the same as a commercial ticket.

Great idea! I'm currently in the process of restoring an Aeronca Sedan.

I fly a 172 XP, but am learning to fly a Super Cub this summer. Next summer it'll be the Cessna on floats, and then the Cub on skis. Love it!

-Brian

Post Good idea

A flying/aircraft forum sounds good, and logical.

As a side note, I was wondering if any of you pilots ever attend EAA in Oshkosh, WI? For those who don't know, that's the Experimental Aircraft Association. It's a big thing here, last year we had Space Ship One and the builder of it and there are always famous aviators like General Chuck Yeager here. If you're into aviation, it's definitely a must-see event. Just thought I'd ask.

Dave

I have not yet attended Oshkosh, but that is definitely a dream!

I am an EAA member, however. I'm in the Fairbanks chapter http://www.eaa-1129.org/ and while I'm at it, I'll put in a plug for an upcoming event we're having: On June 3rd the chapter is putting on a fly-in (or drive in) pancake breakfast and Young Eagles rally. It's at the CAP hangar, East Ramp Fairbanks International. We start serving at 8:00 am, $5.00 for all you can eat, $2.50 for kids. At 10:00 the Young Eagles flights start. For you unfamiliar with that program, it's local pilots giving free flights to kids (8 to 17)

Hope to see some of you there!...Louis

Default Oshkosh

I lived close to Oshkosh for 20 years and never went. Go figure.

Cool Arctic Tern - N62AT

A bush flying and aircraft forum would be great. There's been lots of time where I've had pretty basic questions about flying in the bush or simple aircraft questions, and I've yet to find a decent source of information on the web. Tidbits here and there, but nothing like an Alaska Bush Pilot and Aircraft forum!!

I'm low hours (250'ish), and don't have a lot of free time, but I like to head to the bush whenever I can.

David, please create a bush flying forum!

Steve

Talking Hunting Pilots

Hey, any of you hunting pilots need a new friend?

Default super cubs + more

A flying forum sounds like a great idea to me also.

www.supercub.org <~ is a great website that cover most aviation issues.

good hunting..>Byron

Hey Byron, how was your spring?
    found this on the link in your post...you may have seen it already, but it is good for a laugh

[http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6483&cat=500&ppuser=3[/URL]

Smile Jay?????

JDM...would that be my old buddy Jay? Its been a longgggg time! How ya been, hows the family? Give me a call sometime, or send an email, byron@alaskabiggamehunting.com , You still live in the same place?

We had another good Spring Bear season here. Of course we did have some challenges w/ the weather, typical Spring Bear season. When were wishing for it to be warm, it was cold, and then when we were wishing for it to warm-up the mercury would fall. Overall though another good season, harvested some NICE Bears, got into the Wolves THICK several times, and just had a bunch of fun!

good hunting....>Byron

If you can get Mike strahan to post, so I can argue with him..........then I'll play too. :-)

Thumbs up Moderator wanted

OK guys....I'll bite.....anyone willing to be a moderator?

The moderator will receive emails from all messages posted in the new forum. The responsibility would be to insure that everything stays right side up. It's not usually necessary to breakup brawls, tranquilize and move posters in the wrong forum, or edit messages that make my ears red....but, hey, it happens.

Thanks....David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 05-18-2006 at 09:25.

Default latitude in hunting forum-flying

Webmaster.....

Of course Alaska doesn't have many roads, therefore a large part of ALASKA HUNTING involves accessing hunting places via small aircraft.

Points well taken in your previous post that; you already have your hands full with ALL of the other forums, and you could use someone's help to act as the moderator. Fabricating another forum seems like extra work that may not be nessesary.

To a large degree flying is an integral part of Alaska hunting.

Maybe giving some extra latitude on the "Hunting" forum to discuss aviation would be a reasonable solution. When folks want to discuss aviation on the "hunting" forum, allow them to do so. They can start a thread, or have an on-going thread about aviation. Obviously, from the # of posts on this subject, people who enjoy Alaska hunting also like Alaska aviation. After some period of time, ....say a few months, if the "aviation threads" continue, or grow, then you may consider developing another forum just for flying.
    There are some "aviation" related threads going right now on the "hunting" forum.

....>Byron

PS, Without question this is the #1 site on the web for all-things about Alaska hunting. There is more information on this site than any one person could ever hope for, good job!

Default It's really not more work...

This is from a software guy (me) who doesn't know which specific toolset/application David is using, but based on what I think he's using adding an additional forum costs less than an hour to setup and should take almost nothing to administer. There are disk space and bandwidth considerations, but time-wise from David this should be a no-brainer.

This is not rocket science and I think additional cost-wise the traffic an aircraft forum would add would be negligible.

Steve

Cool AND I should have added

That I really appreciate this site.

I have gotten a boatload of useful information and the enterainment factor (learning, laughing, thought, etc.) has been HUGE.

The old site was really good. The new site is great.

Steve

Default Great Idea I am looking foward to the Avaition section

I am an 1200 hr inst, multi, com, hobbie pilot. I am in the Civil Air Patrol. I did a small amount of flying mostly for a good phesant or something like that. One day I plan to get a tail wheel sign off & a float plane rating. I am in Arkansas & have actually never seen a float plane in Ar. I have been to Ak 1 time & did get in a float plane. One day I really want to get back up there. I think an avation section would be great. I don't have the time to be the moderator but would like to add my 2 cents every now & then. Looking forward to the new Avaition Section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast