Thread: Lake Creek / Deshka King Reel of Choice?

Default Lake Creek / Deshka King Reel of Choice?

I'm getting a buddy a new King Rod and Reel setup for his B-day. He's got a place up the Yetna at Lake Creek. I've got the rod, I just wanted to get some input on a nice reel to put on it.

Thanks in advance...

It all depends on the type of rod you purchased. Spinning or baitcasting? What is the length of the rod, and the size line its rated for? How much do you want to spend?
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-19-2008 at 13:19. Reason: spelling

Yep, sorry. I was in a hurry this morning, left out some info...

The rod is a Redington CPX 7'9" casting. Rod is rated for 12-30#, He uses braided line on everything else, I think he uses 50# test braided.

Don't want to break the bank, but don't want to go cheap, either...just looking for what experiences people have had with their reels and which to keep away from. I put this same question out there for us to outfit our boat with coho and halibut reels for PWS and I received some great feedback which helped greatly.

Thanks Steelieguy for keeping me on my toes!

Default I would go with a

C6500 level wind if you look around you can find them for around $100 and they are smooth.

Default My 2 Cents

I bought an ABU Record RCN60HC last year. I absolutely love this reel. I just picked up a second one for my back up. I believe they're about $150ish at Sportsman's Warehouse. I got my second one on E-bay, mint cond for 95.00 to my door. I guarantee he won't be disappointed!

Default reels

well i have not been disappointed with a Abu Garcia reel but i would put a 6500 series on it they are great reels and very dependable good luck

Great info....very much appreciated!

Matt