Thread: Short hikes (3-4 hours) within driving from Anchorage?

Default Short hikes (3-4 hours) within driving from Anchorage?

Hi all,

Havent posted in here yet because Ive spent most of my time in the fishing forum!
    My girlfriend and I will be in Anchorage and surround for two months starting may 30th.

We have recently, very recently, began doing some short hikes. Day trips only so far with very light loads (lunch, xtra clothes, lunch etc.)

I really love photography and was wondering if anyone can tell me of some nice day hikes we can do that are within a 3-4 hour drive from Anchorage? Maybe a lake that I can hike to? A small hill/mountain? Nothing too long. We're both healthy in our mid-20's, but dont have the exprerience for 8-10 hour trails.

I havent paid much attention to this part of the forum yet, but Ill be doing some research looking through old threads but any info would be greatly appreciated.

all the best,
    Jonathan

Default tons of trails

Check into the ones along turnagain arm on your way down to the kenai. There are several trails around the kenai/ russian river area as well as skilak lake loop road. If you have a milepost they are in there. All kinds of trips from a couple hours to days so take a look im sure you can find something. Oh and us fisherman know about more than just fish buddy LOL

P.S. All the trails im speaking up have parking areas and are marked from the highway. Some might charge a small use fee (tax) around 5 bucks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There are some good trails right at the edge of Anchorage, in Chugach State park, that can be 3-4 hours long and provide some great scenery. You can hike in from Anchorage or Eagle River...just remember this is Alaska we're talkin about, so any hikes with elevation gain could bring you into ground still covered by snow...

I really like the book "50 Hikes in Alaska's Chugach State Parks" by Shane Shepherd & Owen Wozniak printed by the Mountaineer's Book Company. I have no vested interest in the company, but have found the book extremely helpful in planning many hikes. I think I got mine for $10, or in other words about 2 gallons in gas driving to the wrong place. Well worth it IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Let's sit down over coffee (or beer?) when you get here to talk about hikes and fishing. I don't have all the answers, but can point you in a few directions. If you're interested in trying to catch some grayling, I've got the perfect spot for a 2-3 hour (one-way) hike that ends in copious grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Let's sit down over coffee (or beer?) when you get here to talk about hikes and fishing. I don't have all the answers, but can point you in a few directions. If you're interested in trying to catch some grayling, I've got the perfect spot for a 2-3 hour (one-way) hike that ends in copious grayling.
    HA! Brian, I just sent you a PM. Beer is good. It brings fishermen (and hikers) together.

Thanks for the info guys.

I think a book is a good idea. I read a lot of them for fishing and they really helped a lot.

There was something about the Chugach state parks on TV the other day but stupid work got in the way.

Hey Chuck, Im not surprised you know about these hikes! You've probably done them looking for good fishing spots!

Yeah, my girlfriend and I only started hiking a few months ago when we found out we were coming/going to Alaska. We're 'getting in shape' so that we have the energy to really enjoy the time we have there/here. We're pretty healthy but I feel like the only way to get ready to hike outdoors a lot, is to hike outdoors a lot! No more nights in front of the computer...
    Well, not too many at least!

I'd say don't waste your time and gas driving 3-4 hours out of Anchorage for short hikes. I doubt you'd find the time to hit all the hikes within 1hr of anchorage in a summer.

Here are a few pics to wet your appetite.

Hiking towards near peak just outside of Anchorage

Eagle River nature center, in March

Sunshine Ridge late April just past McHugh creek, park on the N side of the road opposite and just down from Beluga point

South Fork of Eagle River in early Sept.

There are incredible trails North just outside of town all the way to the Mat su, and South towards Girdwood on to Turnagain Pass. You can come across moose, black and grizzly bears in the Anchorage city limits and watch spawning salmon in the creeks.

And if you like wild flowers

I should know the name of these

Chocolate lillies

wild geranium

dogwood

Just past Eklutna on the W side of the Glenn Hwy is the most incredible field of wild iris's. They should be in full bloom late June, early July.