Thread: Motor Problems

Default Motor Problems

The last 2 weekends that I used the boat we went out of Whittier. On the second day this weekend we started having runability problems. I have a 175hp sportjet. It would start with no problem and would jump out of the hole but would not run in mid range RPM. I had this same thing happen last year after visiting Whittier on the second trip. I changed the fuel/water seperator filter and the problem went away last year. I will do the same and see what happens. I hate to imply that the harbor has water in their gas but I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problem. Maybe I haven't changed the filter often enough?

You might consider installing a water separater type of filter in your fuel line. It is clear and if you see water in the bottom of it you just open a valve and drain some into a can to remove the water.

Have you tried adding "Heet" to the fuel to help remove any possible water from it?

A RACOR filter would help. The clear type so that you can drain off the water if you see it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the clear filter setup. I have never been a big fan of Heet, anyone ever have any problems putting it in a 2 stroke?

I just checked Gold Eagle(Heet) website and they suggest using Isoheet in 2 strokes. Guess that answered that ?

Default Clear filter?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the clear raycor filter has a plastic bottom. It has to be the metal one to be coast guard legal doesn't it? Thanks.

You can use the plastic filter base as long as the filter is not in a confined space.

Default Heet

I put a bottle of Heet in my 125 gallon tank a couple times a year. So far I've drained about 1 teaspoon of junk from the bottom of my Raycor plastic bowl. No water in 2 years.
    For two strokes, be sure to use the Iso-Heet (red bottle). I use it in my snowmobiles (2-stroke) all the time. Cheap insurance.
    Make sure your not sucking air into the fuel lines or tank fitting. Replace the squeeze bulb (if you have one).
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.