Thread: Homer/seward report

Default Homer/seward report

Just got a 21 foot sylvan and took it down south for ten days. I like the boat, not the biggest but I think it will work. Went our of homer 2 times, but the weather kept us in most days. I was there ten days and fished 2. That pretty much sucked. I did manage to pick up a halibut (14 lbs) across K bay near those islands that are almost directly across. Also fished Seldovia bay for butts and Kings (didn't get either).

Then went to Seward to see if the weather was better there. It was but not nice enough for the 21 footer.........so we took a charter. 44 footer party boat, but only 9 of us on it. Ran out to Montegue island and fished the ocean side. Did pretty good on the butts in deep water but all around 20lbs.

Thanks for the report. I am getting a few days off and want to drag the boat somewhere.
    If you spent 10 days in Homer, is anybody hitting some decent sized fish when they can get out?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

i hate to ask this but have you been out of whittier? usually there is a bay you can get to and fish in when the wind is kicking up. i always check the website at bottom for marine forcast and it does help. i have a 22' searunner and have to watch the water and look for bays to fish when the water is rough but i can go thru some windy rough water to get to some of the coves to fish. but i also hate sitting there unable to fish, i usually bring my surfcaster to fish when i cant go out.jeff

heres a good weather/sea website
    http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/akm.html

Hi, I have never taken it out of Whitttier. I did rent a boat there a couple years ago. It is on my list of spots to get to know this summer.

The charters were getting fish in homer when they got out, but they were weathered in 6 days while I was there. I'd go to the ramps at 6 to see what they got, and the biggest I saw was a 100lber. I talked to one guy who was able to tell me they had a 2 hour run to start. Don't know where they went.

The capt in Seward said they were finding fish but near PWS mouth, so I'd expect Whittier/Valdez to be good on nice days. All fish I saw basically were in the 20-30 lb range with a couple bigs in the mix. Kings off the bluffs were doing really well in Homer. Talked to some about the Soldovia enhanced run but apperentely they are not in yet.

My wife has been in Homer for 6 days now, fished every day but 1. Limited out each day, largest 44#, smallest 20#. There were a couple of rough days, but nothing she could'nt handle( we have an 18' hewes).

Default Good weather now?

I am sure it is nice now. I was there the 7th to the 15th. Then Sewared 16, 17 and 18. Got nice in Seward so I'm sure Homer was ok. Big halibut will start moving in as we speak! (hopefully).

You guys are getting me all worked up about Homer halibut now. I won't be able to go there until end of June.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The Halibut Are Comming In And The Weather Is Nice...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

We start fishing in early April, and always catch fish. Usually nothing of any size, but the smaller ones are better eating anyway. As far as water and weather goes, we go fishing. Neither of us have yet to land a butt at the house, though it would be nice some days. Someday I will get that bigger boat I want, then there will be no excuse. Good luck and good fishing to all. I hope everyone has great luck this summer.