Thread: Alaska Fishing Trip

Default Alaska Fishing Trip

Hey Guys-

I am sure you get this all the time but i need some help on a trip. I would be happy to exchange some info on great lakes fishing if anyone needs.

I am taking a trip from August 7-18. I will be fishing in Talkeetna for 3 days, homer for 3 days, and the Kenai for 3 days. The equipment will be supplied for the Halibut so I will not need any advice for that.

We will be primarily targeting silvers along with the other present fish. I know mostly every fishing style so any recommendations will help. I plan on bringing a 13 ft St. Croix Medium action Float rod - A 12 ft conventional 12-25 lb heavy action for float fishing/bottom bouncing- 10'6 Fast Action Medium power 8-12 for bottom bouncing and a 8'9'' 10-20 lb rating for back trolling. Am I missing anything or is there any of these rods you wouldn't recommend I bring?

1. What are the standard Rod sizes I should be equipped with for the areas and fish i am fishing for.

2. What type of line do you recommend for the areas I am fishing (For example 15lb mono on a conventional reel VS. braid)

3. Should there be any specific tackle you would recommend (For example size 2 octopus hooks for skein chunks or size 2 beads.)

Any other info you could help me with would be great. I look forward to contributing to this site.

Thanks,
    WNYsteelheader

Default Very heavy!!!

I think that you will find your rods to be way over gunned for silvers and pinks!

Commercially, I am using Loomis STR 1045 8-17 pound rod with 15# test mono and an Amasadeur 6500C reel. This is more than enough and even still probably a bit heavy. For the silvers, you are looking most likely around 12-14 pounds (20 pounders are possible but not common during this time).

Your strategies are good, conisdering floating and bouncing, particularly on a pink year.

For rigging, I have some tutorials on my site that may help you out at Alaskan Fish Guides

Good luck

Default Alaska Trip

WNYsteelheader
    When fishing for Silvers I use a 7 to 9 wt Fly rod and fish an egg sucking leach in verious colors and that work really well for me for silvers. Plus it is really fun fishting the fish on they fly rod.

X2 for the 7-9wt Flyrod and Egg Sucking Leeches. Purple, black or olive.

For casting gear, a 7-8 foot medium action rod (baitcaster or spinning reel, your preference) with 10-20 lb line, 1/2-7/8 oz Pixee, #4-5 Vibrax, or a spin-n-glo or corkie rig. Or some roe, either alone or behind a spin-n-glo.

Colors don't really matter much, although a lot of folks will swear by one color over another...and some days it seems everyone's catching 'em on yellow, when Pink was the hot color yesterday. I personally use orange or Chartreuse more often than other colors, but have caught them on everything.

Mag Warts and KwikFish (K-13 ish) behind the boat seem to do peretty good, too.

Or roe behind a jet diver, or under a bobber.

Default Thanks

Thanks alot guys. All of this info is a great help. The more responses the better.

Sincerely,
    WNYsteelheader