Thread: Scope/Binoc fog problem??

Default Scope/Binoc fog problem??

Does anyone know of anything that actually works well for keeping your lens of your scope or binocs from fogging up(exterior)? I've tried different types of antifog spray and still have the same problems when it's damp out or raining and your own body heat seems to constantly fog up your lens. I always carry a few napkins to wipe the lens but still is a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use the butler creek scope caps (the flip up style). The're only a few bucks and generally work well. Get the clear ones so you can still shoot with them down in a pinch. If you have time to shoot, you can always flip them up.

If you have a new Leupold scope and don't mind spending 5X more, Leupold makes some screw on lens covers as well that will flip open at the flip of a button. The downside is that you can't see through these to shoot in a hurry if you don't have time to mess with them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=330586

Default caps

thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I tried a few different antifog sprays and the one actually made the fog worse! Sounds like the caps are the way to go. Thanks again.

Default Keep em clean...

Your lenses that is. If you keep them clean the moisture will be less likely to cling to the lense. DO NOT use napkins on optics. They are paper (wood) and will scratch and/or remove the coating from your lense. Don't use polyester either, it is plastic. Try the new "Spuds" clothes that they sell at Sportsman's Warehouse and else where. $5 and they have a little carry bag not much bigger than your thumb that it slides back into. Also a clip to attach to your bino strap.

The only other thing worth mentioning is to keep your gun outside at night, or in the tent vestibule, if possible so the temp change doesn't cause condensation. If you use the Butler Creek covers, which I wouldn't leave home without, you won't have the fog problem from body heat when carrying or cradling your gun to shield it from rain. They are cheap but priceless! Good luck.

The condensation is caused by the warmth from your body meeting the cold glass.
    You can help the issue by keeping the binocs inside your jacket to keep them warmer but thats about all. Try not to breath on the glass when you are bringing them up to your eyes.
    Tennessee