Thread: Bear bait?

Default Bear bait?

First time ever baiting, looking for some opinions. How long should you wait to be hit before you just cut your losses? What kind of area do you look for? Thanks, Bob

Default patience

If you're in a spot thats "beary" give it plenty of time. Its a late spring this year, so they won't all be super hungry for a bit. I think you really need to give it till at least June 1, and by that time its too late to find and start a new spot. If you picked an area that has bear, just keep at it. Keep adding more bait, putting up more scent wicks, and burning jello, marshmellows or honey to advertise your site. That big ol pile of bait will disappear in a flash once they start hitting, and you'll be glad you have a lot there. I put up a new bait last year, in a spot I knew had bear, but didn't get hit for almost a month. It was discouraging, but we stuck at it and got 2 nice bear the end of May. I had to start another new one this year, but fortunately I'm getting hit already. Just one bear, and its not mowing down my bait, so that makes me think he's not too hungry yet. We have lots of time yet!

I agree with hangin in there. I have taken bears in great shape as late as mid June on the Peninsula.

I have a little different take on the bait volume thang though. If you have a large bait pile, yer bears can come in and feed any ole time they want and it's more difficult to pattern the bears. If you plan on doing ALOT of sitting, doesnt matter much I guess. But, if you have a big boar thats nocturnal, you reduce your chances.

I use a small bait pile that a bear or two can wipe out in one feeding. If a bear stakes his claim on your bait, he wont be far away. If you have a partner, go in to bait it together and make a little noise going in and while baiting. Have your partner make the same amount of noise on the way out while you quietly climb into your tree or blind. The bait having been cleaned up the previous day, the bear is likely to come in after he hears your buddy leave. Ive had bears walk in within minutes of him walking out.

The bears will pattern you and then you can pattern them.

As I wrote in another bear thread, this tactic also works well if you like to stalk in on them and shoot from the ground. I would go in, bait and leave. Id start out stalking right back in, and the next day a half hour, and the next an hour. Because of King fishing, I would bait at 10am ever day. I took one bear by stalking in after a cup of coffee back at the truck. I had a sow and cub that would wait and come in between 2 and 3 in the afternoon most every day. But, keeping the bait sparce and letting them pattern me, the majority of the bears come in within a couple hours after you bait. The more bears in the area, it seems the quicker they will come in and claim it after you "leave".

Good luck!! And remember to be active in clubs and Advisory committees to protect this incredible opportunity we have to selectively harvest black bears!!!!

understand nor all areas will hit at the same time. Give it more time.
    Are there other baiter's near you? This could delay them coming to you. Are you hunting on a mountain? If so south side will hit first.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for your time and advise. I'll keep at it.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I have to disagree with phishfood...the 1st of June is not to late to start a new site, been there done that and doesnt matter the timeframe of new sites. I had a guy put out a barrel on the 10th last year and shot a bear on the 21st..You can relocate anytime you need to.....

Default depends on area

If you're in an area that closes June 15, I'll stick to my guns. June 1 is late to be starting a new bait, as you only have 2 weeks for it to work out.

Early on, before I start getting hit regularly, I'll try to get to my stand area in the morning or mid day and walk all the trails out about a mile or so, stringing up scent wicks with anise oil, and spraying anise/vanilla/oil mix as I walk. I also do jello burns until they start showing, and a pile of fermenting fruit is really good to draw them in. Good luck: remember, its still early.